Muse have appeared on all three soundtracks to the Twilight films but Chris Wolstenholme from the band has likened it to "selling your soul".

The bassist told Newsbeat: "I'm not sure how cool it is to be on those kind of things but sometimes you've just got to get your music out there in different ways."

With the films breaking box office records Chris admits it has meant a big boost for the band Stateside: "It's very difficult in America because you don't have anything like Radio 1, nothing is national.

"You have to take every opportunity you get over there and sometimes you have to sell your soul."

Twilight writer Stephanie Meyer is a big fan of the band and she has admitted that Muse inspired her writing.

'Don't care'

Chris watched the first film which he "quite enjoyed" but admits it's not his "cup of tea" and hasn't watched any of the others.

He admits there was a bit of confusion over how their track Neutron Star Collision would appear in Eclipse.

He said: "When we were in the studio writing it, one minute they said they wanted to use it in the end credits, then they said they wanted to use it in another scene, then it was another scene and in the end we were like, 'Do what you want with it, we don't care anymore'."

'Starting again'

Chris tells us they are happy that things are finally paying off for them in the States: "It's going great over there.

Chris says there was confusion over how one of their tracks would be used

"Early this year we started playing in arenas so it was great to finally take over the full production that we toured with in Europe."

"For a long time America fell by the wayside and nothing was really happening at all and we were having problems with our record company over there."

The band didn't start touring in the States until their album Absolution came out.

Chris says the band enjoyed playing smaller venues again: "It was great fun because it was like starting all over again and it was an exciting feeling."

The band are heading back to the States at the end of the year and if you're hoping for another album soon don't hold your breath.

"The touring schedules are so crazy that just the thought of another album is just not even there at the moment," he said.

"I'm sure Matt has plenty of ideas but physically trying to get together and work on stuff is just not possible on tour.

"The few days off we do have we like to go home or go somewhere and chill out. We prefer to keep the two things separate and not try and think too much about recording when we're touring."

Chris says they have no plans for future movie soundtracks: "Matt's been offered a few movie scores but the touring is so heavy and that would mean taking a few months off, not being able to tour.

"I can't see there will be too much of that going on until we slow down on our touring."

And the band aren't going to slow down any time soon: "I think while you're young and fit enough to tour.

"You need to take advantage and do it for as long as you can. There's plenty of time later in life to do that kind of stuff."

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10609997

I wish they weren't so heavy handed in their quest to break into the American spotlight. Yeah, NSC got a lot of initial attention, but it's fallen off the radar rather quickly over here too because it's not really lead single material. It's just B-side fodder. Muse shouldn't try to peddle candy coated shit just to try and entice larger numbers. Just make heartfelt, awesome music and ditch your US record label!

Besides, Twilight fans, and teeny bopper types in general are a fickle bunch. Yeah, it's nice to see their numbers initially, but they don't stick around. They move onto the newest fad. And lowering your standards to attract that type of crowd will only wash away your core fan base.

Besides, Twilight fans, and teeny bopper types in general are a fickle bunch. Yeah, it's nice to see their numbers initially, but they don't stick around. They move onto the newest fad. And lowering your standards to attract that type of crowd will only wash away your core fan base.

true dat.

Personally I'm not sure how wise it was for Chris to say that "selling your soul stuff" but it does sound like they're pissed off with the Twilight franchise.

It's also contradictory because in the last two interviews I've seen/read both Chris and Matt have said they are thinking about the next album and this one he says they're not.

Personally I'm not sure how wise it was for Chris to say that "selling your soul stuff" but it does sound like they're pissed off with the Twilight franchise.

It's also contradictory because in the last two interviews I've seen/read both Chris and Matt have said they are thinking about the next album and this one he says they're not.

Perhaps he was just feeling a bit tired and ratty,they're working like dogs at the minute and it must get weary being asked the same questions over and over.:erm:

Besides I'd not believe a word Matt says :LOL:

But still, you can always get a straight answer from Chris and I admire him for that :D

actually he says

"The touring schedules are so crazy that just the thought of another album is just not even there at the moment," he said.

"I'm sure Matt has plenty of ideas but physically trying to get together and work on stuff is just not possible on tour.

which means they're not planning to start recording a new album now.

if i'm not wrong, chris himself said they're thinking of start working on it in 2011.

makes sense to me.

Perhaps he was just feeling a bit tired and ratty,they're working like dogs at the minute and it must get weary being asked the same questions over and over.:erm:

Besides I'd not believe a word Matt says :LOL:

But still, you can always get a straight answer from Chris and I admire him for that :D

I have to differ with you on that. I always find Matt the easiest to relate to and trust what he says, though he is tongue in cheek at times, I understand that. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Perhaps the thinking about the album has just been put over a different way though.

:awesome: Chris is my hero!!! :awesome: Finally someone who tells the truth.

I KNOW RIGHT.

chris is the only one i trust, the other two just talk bullshit all the time :LOL:

+884654648789

you guys totally sum up my thoughts :awesome:

#needsmorechris :happy:

I just think it was a pretty daft thing to say and doesn't reflect well on Muse whatever is going on behind the scenes. But I will sit on my hands as people on here put Chris on a high pedestal! He can do no wrong obviously!

Look who's talking. :rolleyes:

I just think it was a pretty daft thing to say and doesn't reflect well on Muse whatever is going on behind the scenes. But I will sit on my hands as people on here put Chris on a high pedestal! He can do no wrong obviously!

Oh my days :LOL:

Could he get any better?I love how he just says what he thinks.

And come on people,Matt is on the damn pedestal all the effin' time,Chris doesn't run around the bush and says it how it is.I don't think that they like it that the media sometimes labels them as a Twilight band.

:LOL:

This is just speculation but this might be why NSC sounds unfinished/all over the place. They just wanted to get it finished to give to the Twilight people.

I hope this is true :chuckle:

I thought NSC would grow on me, but it's actually done the opposite tbh.

Archived