Guest Arman

Link

We don't care if having a song on Twilight soundtrack is uncool, says Muse frontman Matt Bellamy

MUSE frontman Matt Bellamy doesn't care if people think his band's involvement in the Twilight films is uncool.

The 31-year old singer and guitarist admits to being a massive fan of the vampire movie franchise.

So it's no wonder Muse have had a song in each of the three movies. Or that they want to continue this run in next year's Breaking Dawn film and the rumoured second part of the final Stephenie Meyer novel in 2012.

Matt shrugged: "Of course it doesn't matter we have gained fans because of Twilight and that might seem to be uncool. That doesn't bother me at all.

"As a band you are represented everywhere. We also have a gig for Guitar Hero, of all things.

"Muse as a video game - that's something, right?"

In the original Twilight film, the trio's song Supermassive Black Hole was used, while on New Moon they had I Belong To You (New Moon Remix) on the soundtrack. In upcoming third movie Eclipse, the band have Neutron Star Collision (Love is Forever).

Matt added: "It's great to be involved and it's so much fun. I like the movies a lot. They're really good and we hope to continue with this and do another song."

Being such a big fan it's surprising Matt hasn't met Robert Pattinson, who plays vampire Edward, alongside Kristen Stewart as Bella in the franchise.

He said: "I haven't met him yet, but we have a meeting scheduled. I am looking forward to it already. It's so nice that Robert and I both come from England. We will understand each other and have common ground."

The band's latest Twilight track reached No.11 in the charts last month and was the lead song from The Twilight Saga: Eclipse film soundtrack, which is out on Monday.

It also features Florence and The Machine's Heavy In Your Arms, The Dead Weather's Rolling In On A Burning Tire and Vampire Weekend's Jonathan Low. Eclipse is in cinemas from Friday, July 9, so Matt will miss it - the band are headlining T in the Park that day.

And the Muse trio - Matt, drummer Dominic Howard and bass player Christopher Wolstenholme - could well do their own eclipsing over fellow headliners Eminem (who plays Saturday night) and Kasabian (who play Sunday's closing night).

It is hoped Muse will bring some of their new touring set which includes a chrome UFO, an all-seeing eye and a futuristic pyramid-shaped office building for their T spot. The Balado festival takes place from July 9-11.

They last played T in 2004, headlining the NME Stage and the band are ready to show Scots fans what they have been missing, especially Matt's amazing showmanship.

Where on earth does he get his energy from?

Matt laughed: "It has a lot to do with being nervous. Before every performance I always cheat a bit and look through a curtain at the fans out there.

"They can't see me, but I can see them. This gives you an adrenaline rush. It's nuts."

Now in Europe and playing Germany tomorrow, Muse have done what few British bands have been able to do - crack America.

They are filling stadiums in the USA as well as Europe. Last year's fifth album, The Resistance, was No.1 across the globe, from Britain and Germany to Australia and Italy, and peaked at No.3 in America.

Matt admits the band still can't quite believe that 10 years after their debut album Showbiz, they are now rock giants and seen as one of the best live acts in the world.

Matt said: "It's unbelievable, I have to pinch myself every day.

"Our tour in America was incredibly successful. We played to a crowd of 20,000 people. It added to the success we already had in Europe. It was a huge celebration for us."

This is because not every British band is successful in America. For every Muse, Coldplay and Dido who make it, there's an Oasis or Robbie Williams who fail to crack the US.

Matt sees the band's early days when they had to play half-empty halls, as an important learning curve. He said: "I think for any band it's important. You can only really discover what's in you when you experience the really painful defeats."

Since the trio got together in Teignmouth, Devon, back in 1994, they have battled the music industry at almost every turn.

Their progressive rock sound, almost classical in its complexity, their love of sci-fi and conspiracy theories, and Matt's vocal acrobatics, saw them having to go to America initially to get signed.

They threatened to sue Celine Dion in 2002 when she planned to name her Las Vegas show "Muse," despite the band owning the worldwide performing rights to the name.

Matt later said he didn't want people thinking Muse were Dion's backing band and the singer dropped the name.

Then tragedy struck after a triumphant gig at Glastonbury in 2004, which the band described as "the best gig of our lives". Drummer Dominic's father, who was at the festival to watch them, died from a heart attack shortly after their performance.

But the band didn't give up and came back with their stunning fourth album in 2006, Black Holes and Revelations, which included the epic singles Starlight, Knights of Cydonia and Map of the Problematique.

Matt said: "I would say to the band, 'Carry on, never give up.' But you need a little bit of luck, too.

"People need to hear the music but it's very important for me and my band that we remain constant and that we have always believed in what we do.

"Ultimately, I would say to anyone who's in that position, remember your music is important."

Drummer Dominic and Matt look so alike they could be taken for brothers, but the band are all just good friends who keep each other going.

Matt added: "We all get along, but we also argue. We're almost like brothers. We have known each other for ages."

Matt has some advice for young musicians waiting for their big break. He said: "Perseverance is needed, above all else. Show yourselves and play everywhere you can. Early in my career I was playing in the street for a couple of pounds as a busker, but I was still playing my music. You have to love what you do."

Matt was born to be a musician. His father George was rhythm guitarist in the 1960s pop group The Tornados. They were the first British band to have a No.1 in America, with Telstar.

With that kind of pedigree, Matt never had a Plan B. He started playing piano at age six and the guitar when he was 14.

He said: "I knew by the age of 10, I wanted to be a musician. That has not changed."

To relax, Matt, who lives in Lake Como, Italy, goes horse-riding and diving. He split up with his Italian girlfriend last year and has been linked to Lily Allen.

But he won't be tuning in to see who wins tomorrow's Britain's Got Talent final.

He says: "I don't really like these kind of shows. No real artists are made from them, just karaoke singers.

"They're also a bit like trained puppets.

"That doesn't hold any interest for me at all."

Doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother anybody else what Matt likes. But this:

This is because not every British band is successful in America. For every Muse, Coldplay and Dido who make it, there's an Oasis or Robbie Williams who fail to crack the US.

:facepalm:

:facepalm:

Seriously... Huge over-generalizing there. And I fail to see how Oasis never "made it big" in America. Their second album sold 4 million copies. If that's not making it, then certainly Muse haven't even come close to making it since they don't even have a platinum album. Jesus Christ.

He said: "I haven't met him yet, but we have a meeting scheduled. I am looking forward to it already. It's so nice that Robert and I both come from England. We will understand each other and have common ground."

:erm:

Yeah, not many people come from there...

After this interview I must say that I'm confuse... Matt really likes twilight? It's strange, because I have read somewhere that he rather doesn't prefer this film... and he has been linked to Lily Allen... I don't think so... And I wonder if he still lives in Como because he bought a farm in England. IMO in this interview are some rumors. :erm:

Really :erm:?!

I always thought Matt and Dom could be doubles actually. I get them mixed up all the time! :LOL:

And:

I like the movies a lot. They're really good

Matt! :eek::facepalm::LOL:

Strange article!

It doesn't bother me what he likes either incidentally. It's up to him. Just surpises me that he would be a fan of badly done teenybop stuff. I only saw the first film though.

"I like the movies a lot. They're really good" and he want to meet pattison... lol

haha xD yeah ! I want to laugh when I read it :D:D:D

To be honest I don't believe in articles from tabloids. I like to watch or listen interviews. When I can hear Matt then I believe ;)

I know what you mean... Maybe distant cousin at a push but brother??

I don't think they look anything like each other! Weird! Makes me wonder whether this article has been made up by someone who knows next to nothing about Muse. Who doesn't even really know what they look like.

To be honest I don't believe in articles from tabloids. I like to watch or listen interviews. When I can hear Matt then I believe ;)
you have articles and interviews in print where you can really 'hear' the person speaking, though.

but this one's a mess. you spend half the time wondering whether matt really said it, or even if he said it (which is entirely possible) how did he say it.

me thinks he probably speaks too fast for these tabloid people anyway :erm: and that is all im going to say.. :p

one thing about this article i believe: i really dont think matt gives a crap whether some people find it 'uncool' that they're in the twilight soundtracks :LOL:

Yeah this article TOTALLY does not sound like Matt in the slightest bit. I've seen most of their interviews and I can't picture Matt saying about 98% of the things in this. This seems like a load of crap. No offense to the person who started the thread btw

you have articles and interviews in print where you can really 'hear' the person speaking, though.

but this one's a mess. you spend half the time wondering whether matt really said it, or even if he said it (which is entirely possible) how did he say it.

me thinks he probably speaks too fast for these tabloid people anyway :erm: and that is all im going to say.. :p

one thing about this article i believe: i really dont think matt gives a crap whether some people find it 'uncool' that they're in the twilight soundtracks :LOL:

Yeah that's a good thing! :D Assuming this article is legit. Not that I would have thought anything else anyway. He never seems bothered about whether he or Muse are considered cool. In fact I would say he practically rebels from conforming to that criteria! :D

I've never heard about him doing busking either.

Archived