Has anyone ever considered that Matt (and Muse, by extension) is willing to submit songs to Twilight because they're nice guys? The author is clearly a fan and successfully promotes them (whether you think it's for good or ill is beside the point, she did promote the band). Do they say "*&^%$# off, we think your books are crap," when she asks for songs? Nah, like I said, I think they're actually nice guys.

If you'd read this board closely, YOU'D see that most of the fans do not hate NSC. I've seen many positive comments, I was surprised. Apparently the live version caused many people to fall in love with it. And no, Muse have never done this for fame. They've done this because they want to, and love to.

I'd say it's more likely that they submitted songs for the Twilight soundtracks because their record label advised it would be a good idea and get them new fans in America. I mean, it's obvious that the band have changed their musical stylings in order to fit in better in the US music scene as it is right now, I think beforehand their music was a little too sophisticated and different for the US market (which is why OoS didn't get sold over there originally).

I'd say it's more likely that they submitted songs for the Twilight soundtracks because their record label advised it would be a good idea and get them new fans in America. I mean, it's obvious that the band have changed their musical stylings in order to fit in better in the US music scene as it is right now, I think beforehand their music was a little too sophisticated and different for the US market (which is why OoS didn't get sold over there originally).

Yeah, that must be it.

That would also certainly explain why Kid A debuted at #1 on the US charts less than a year before the cancellation of OoS...

no, wait.... i mean.... umm... what were you saying?

Yeah, that must be it.

That would also certainly explain why Kid A debuted at #1 on the US charts less than a year before the cancellation of OoS...

no, wait.... i mean.... umm... what were you saying?

They're on different record labels, Radiohead had a much bigger reputation thanks to the success of OK Computer, so there's no comparison there.

It's known that the American label wouldn't release OoS unless they made it more radio-friendly, which Muse refused to do, so it didn't get a Stateside release originally.

They're on different record labels, Radiohead had a much bigger reputation thanks to the success of OK Computer, so there's no comparison there.

It's known that the American label wouldn't release OoS unless they made it more radio-friendly, which Muse refused to do, so it didn't get a Stateside release originally.

Kid A terrified EMI.

OOS was partly refusal and partly they simply didn't have time as a tour was booked.

Which would indicate that the problems they had with Origin due to reservations from their label, not that they were "too sophisticated and different for the US market". Had they been on a different label, the situation may have turned out differently. The facts as we know them don't support the broad generalization you made in your initial post.

Which would indicate that the problems they had with Origin due to reservations from their label, not that they were "too sophisticated and different for the US market". Had they been on a different label, the situation may have turned out differently. The facts as we know them don't support the broad generalization you made in your initial post.

That's as maybe, but the facts as we know are how things happened. No point speculating on ifs buts and maybes. The record label didn't think the US market would go for the high amounts of falsetto in the music as well as some of the rockier elements.

Kid A terrified EMI.

OOS was partly refusal and partly they simply didn't have time as a tour was booked.

OK Computer terrified Parlophone :LOL: I've read stories of when their execs first heard it, they downgraded sales expectations because they thought the music wasn't commercial enough to sell. Which really shows that record label execs rarely know anything about music and what sells when it comes to anything outside mainstream cheesy pop :LOL:

Everyone keeps saying they "changed their music to gain US fans"

I don't really understand this?? I mean, people from US don't like just one type of music. Granted, a lot of high school teeny bopper type people may like the pop music etc, but I'm sure there are plenty of US citizens who enjoy the rock music along with other types of music. I don't know, I honestly think that Muse has just grown up and evolved and so has their music. I think it's just an unfair assumption to say that they aren't being true to their roots and have sold out to gain fans. I enjoy every single album that Muse has produced and I appreciate the difference in each album.

Sorry but I don't agree with any of that. I believe that Muse are continuing to write music they want to write, I don't think they have sold out, it's not true that most of their fans hate Neutron Star Collision, as more like it than don't, and to say that they use conspiracy theories etc just because they think it's a good selling angle is frankly ridiculous in my view. It is obvious that Matt takes a great personal interest in such things.

Fine, that's your opinion. However, it is frankly plain and simple fact that BHAR and TR are so obviously aimed in that direction, that they have focussed their efforts on creating this persona their selling point. Yes there were songs along the same lines on previous albums, but nothing nearly as much as on the last two albums. Their lyrics have gotten shoddier, and now they rely on the most simple hooks to base a single on. Uprising is painfully basic. I have to admit I like it, but barely listen to it. It's just another song, to me. Not a patch on what they used to be.

If you'd read this board closely, YOU'D see that most of the fans do not hate NSC. I've seen many positive comments, I was surprised. Apparently the live version caused many people to fall in love with it. And no, Muse have never done this for fame. They've done this because they want to, and love to.

I read this board all the time. Musically, people like it. Ironically, I am one of them, lulz. But lyrically, there has been uproar. It is fucking gash, lyrically.

Muse have done a lot to adapt their image. How many songs are there about friggin' space on their first 3 albums? About 2 or 3. How many about conspricay theories? That amount is debatable, but at least it used to be subtle. Now it's 'They will not force us, they will not control us'. Give me a break, a 10 year old could have written that.

Sure, Matt takes an interest in these things, but what about the rest of the band? Adding extra synths etc. because they sound 'spacey' is just lazy, in my opinion.

Everyone keeps saying they "changed their music to gain US fans"

I don't really understand this?? I mean, people from US don't like just one type of music. Granted, a lot of high school teeny bopper type people may like the pop music etc, but I'm sure there are plenty of US citizens who enjoy the rock music along with other types of music. I don't know, I honestly think that Muse has just grown up and evolved and so has their music. I think it's just an unfair assumption to say that they aren't being true to their roots and have sold out to gain fans. I enjoy every single album that Muse has produced and I appreciate the difference in each album.

The kind of rock Muse were making around OoS was very much a niche kind of music, not mainstream at all. Absolution, they tried to make it a more American-sounding rock album, and BHAR and The Resistance both have the most commercially-styled music, especially in the singles.

That's as maybe, but the facts as we know are how things happened. No point speculating on ifs buts and maybes. The record label didn't think the US market would go for the high amounts of falsetto in the music as well as some of the rockier elements.

Exactly. ;) But the "record label didn't think it would" is not the same as "it wouldn't" - if you'd put it that way in your initial post, I wouldn't have disagreed.

The only reason I make the argument is because I fear the band is making the same generalization as you were - they're taking their bad experience back in '01 and making an assumption about "the market" in general. The US is a broad, diverse market with a lot of competing angles. A rock band can do pretty darned well here without cracking the top of the hot 100. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Hot 100 is largely irrelevent to a rock band, it's only really important if you want to be the next Beyonce.... Muse doesn't need a top 10 single on the Hot 100 to be big here - their singles have done well since Absolution on the Alt rock chart, which they've been dominating since the resistance came out. That's enough to get them tons of airplay and exposure, they don't need to be top 40. They don't need to compete against GaGa or whoever.

</ramble>

EDIT: just saw this comment and my above basically applies to it, but I wanted to add....

The kind of rock Muse were making around OoS was very much a niche kind of music, not mainstream at all.

It depends on what you mean by "mainstream". If you mean at home in the greater pop market, sure, but I think that singles like New Born and Plug in Baby are essentially "mainstream alternative" - i.e. they wouldn't be out of place on an alt/modern rock station.

Exactly. ;) But the "record label didn't think it would" is not the same as "it wouldn't" - if you'd put it that way in your initial post, I wouldn't have disagreed.

The only reason I make the argument is because I fear the band is making the same generalization as you were - they're taking their bad experience back in '01 and making an assumption about "the market" in general. The US is a broad, diverse market with a lot of competing angles. A rock band can do pretty darned well here without cracking the top of the hot 100. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Hot 100 is largely irrelevent to a rock band, it's only really important if you want to be the next Beyonce.... Muse doesn't need a top 10 single on the Hot 100 to be big here - their singles have done well since Absolution on the Alt rock chart, which they've been dominating since the resistance came out. That's enough to get them tons of airplay and exposure, they don't need to be top 40. They don't need to compete against GaGa or whoever.

</ramble>

You see, all of that is why I think it's more down to record label interference than band choices. Maybe they did get burned by that OoS experience so now they're allowing Warner to have more influence in what they're doing. They certainly don't NEED to be pushing for Billboard success, the mere fact that they seem to be pushing for it is enough to make me think that it's mostly down to recrd label influence.

</ramble>

It could be what Warner see them as. It is a business after all and labels always have targets for what they expect each act to achieve.

It's a lot more complex than just what the band want. Not going to start claiming it's label interference or anything else, because we don't know what's going on.

nah this def not an example of matts interviewing style :LOL::LOL: we have already been exposed to the randomness of the things matt comes out with. Even when he's drunk we know he certainly wouldnt part with words like that in his vocabulary.

You see, all of that is why I think it's more down to record label interference than band choices. Maybe they did get burned by that OoS experience so now they're allowing Warner to have more influence in what they're doing. They certainly don't NEED to be pushing for Billboard success, the mere fact that they seem to be pushing for it is enough to make me think that it's mostly down to recrd label influence.

It could be what Warner see them as. It is a business after all and labels always have targets for what they expect each act to achieve.

It's a lot more complex than just what the band want. Not going to start claiming it's label interference or anything else, because we don't know what's going on.

I can agree with the sentiment in both of these comments. :)

Why I worry the band could be involved in this decision making, rather than being pushed by the label, is them not being from here and perhaps not fully understanding the differences in the market between the US and the UK. If they're hearing they need to do something from the label, they might be more inclined to go along with it because they lack context. They might be thinking "that sounds like crap, but these people know the US market, so if they say that's the way it has to be, thats the way it has to be". Their experience with Origin would reinforce that sort of thinking.

About the singles chart, Matt has mentioned before wanting a #1 to compete with his father. Now, that could be just a passing comment or joke or a typical Bellamyism, but it could also indicate that this is what he defines as "being successful" in the US.

But, yeah... I'll stop rambling and guessing now...

</ramble>

EDIT: just saw this comment and my above basically applies to it, but I wanted to add....

It depends on what you mean by "mainstream". If you mean at home in the greater pop market, sure, but I think that singles like New Born and Plug in Baby are essentially "mainstream alternative" - i.e. they wouldn't be out of place on an alt/modern rock station.

What if the band DOES want to compete against Gaga or whatever top 40 artists there are, rather than being content to be popular on the Alt Rock/Modern chart? Sometimes I think that's the case, esp. when they talk about wanting to be the "biggest band ever" or whatever. :indiff:

It's a wee bit OT. :erm: oops.

Yeah, but I mean it. Really, sometimes I think I'm losing my mind because my opinion seems to be different from what everybody else thinks. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads? But the last posts here were something I was thinking and I find it reassuring to see I'm not alone.

Archived