Further to that, it's not hard to build a balanced set that caters for both, is it?

For every Supermassive or Resistance there should be a New Born, Bliss, Apocalypse Please, B&H or Take A Bow.

It just baffles me that Muse seem to genuinely think that the majority of fans, those who have followed them for years as much as those who have only picked up on the recently, want to see so much cheesy pop music. A smattering is fine, but when you've got Supermassive, Neutron Star Collision, Guiding Light, Starlight, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires and Feeling Good all in the same set, there's a fundamental problem with the balance of the setlist.

Srsly, it would take so little to remedy this :'(. I don't think anyone here is calling for wholesale changes to Muse's live show, just a little more recognition of their rockier roots and evidence they can still rock (Assassin, MK Ultra, etc).

Exactly. Adding three old school Muse songs would be perfect. One guitar and one piano one during the main set, then more guitar one in the encore. It doesn't seem to be that hard bc they whip out RBS and Bliss at the drop of a hat.

And to Chris' point in that interview, yes the hardcores follow the gigs a lot more, but the main problem is the lack of love for old school Muse songs. They've got visuals for these songs, why not throw them in there for their more devoted fans? Piano Cave, Sunburn, B&H, RBS, and Bliss have all been played on the towers at some point. Rotating these songs in and out every night is very doable in my eyes. There's already visuals for them and they obviously still know how to play them. It's simple really.

the lack of common sense and unreasonable people around here... *shrug*

i wouldnt be able to handle 3 hours of muse, that's for sure. or at least, the muse i like.

3 hours of muse means they'd need longer, slower sections and that would probably get a bit boring tbh. for me a muse gig is all about the injection of energy, so i find the length of their gigs fine. im always exhausted by the end as it is. i dont know what you lot do when you see muse (do you moan about the setlists while you're there too? :p) , but for me it's non stop singing and jumping and moving.

I'm late but agree with this, it seems people don't know how to have fun at gigs :p Wenesday was simply perfect, so much energy, so much fun... but if they had played for any longer I probably would have collapsed.

Exactly. Adding three old school Muse songs would be perfect. One guitar and one piano one during the main set, then more guitar one in the encore. It doesn't seem to be that hard bc they whip out RBS and Bliss at the drop of a hat.

And to Chris' point in that interview, yes the hardcores follow the gigs a lot more, but the main problem is the lack of love for old school Muse songs. They've got visuals for these songs, why not throw them in there for their more devoted fans? Piano Cave, Sunburn, B&H, RBS, and Bliss have all been played on the towers at some point. Rotating these songs in and out every night is very doable in my eyes. There's already visuals for them and they obviously still know how to play them. It's simple really.

Yeah, if the Turin set had been the 'benchmark' set of the tour, and the set length never went under 19 proper songs then I guess most people would be happy (obviously some people want them to play everything they've ever written, or would still find fault with Guiding Light in the set, or be angry they're not playing Uno but that is what i'd say is unrealistical expectations).

Turin set:

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

MK Ultra

Hysteria

Butterflies and Hurricanes

United States of Eurasia

Sunburn

Guiding Light

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Plug In Baby

Time Is Running Out

Unnatural Selection

Overture

Stockholm Syndrome

Knights of Cydonia

Then mixing it up wouldn't be so diffiuclt (because there is more than just really obvious singles, e.g.:

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

MK Ultra

Hysteria

Bliss

United States of Eurasia

Feeling Good

Cave

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Plug In Baby

Time Is Running Out

Unnatural Selection

Overture

Stockholm Syndrome

Knights of Cydonia

Even Overture could be dropped for IBTY or an attempt at the other two Exo parts, then that's the whole of The Resistance being played. RBS, CE and other such songs could come in for Sunburn/B+H and GL and FG rotated seeing as everyone hates them :LOL:

It's just little things but it makes such a huge difference, and that's what's so strange

So where could they play any setlist with any rarities or even a single song for the hardcore fans if in big arenas and stadiums they HAVE to haave a visual show? The videos of Earl's Court don't show a properly visual show and the majority of people who went to those shows and more recent ones say they were miles better!

But don't you see, with the exception of Cave on this tour, the rest were years ago! They've pretty much forgotten they made Origin of Symmetry and Absolution bar the singles from them! What would be the issue in them playing a couple of album tracks from there? Tracks like Ruled by Secrecy, The Small Print, Hyper Music would all get good reactions at a gig as most fans would at least know those two albums! It just shows they are reluctant to change and whatever Chris says, Matt will always want to have massive flashy lights and play the bigger singles plus songs from the most recent album...

Not sure if you realised but I was actually agreeing with you generally. I guess my point is that they DO bring out some old tracks occassionally, esp. at the one-off gigs, so it's unfair to say they NEVER give us oldies. I think they DO listen to and try to take notice of what we say, but they could go further and they are without a doubt more reluctant to mix things up compared with other bands of the same stature. I've seen them countless times and things have definitely got worse in this sense as the years have gone on. Chris might use visuals as an excuse but I'm not buying it either, as they could easily hack together some standard stuff for virtually any track they might choose to play, the fact that they don't demonstrates they're happy with the sets they're doing. Either that, or the record co. are having a big say on what they play for commercial reasons, which is not something the band will ever admit to whilst under contract.

Feeling Good has actually become a staple since about 2007. It was very rarely played on the Abso tour. Just think.. a big one off show like Earls Court and it wasn't played. That would be joy in this present time :LOL:

01. Intro Riff

02. Hysteria

03. Butterflies & Hurricanes

04. New Born

05. Sing For Absolution

06. Crying Shame

07. Muscle Museum

08. Citizen Erased

09. Ruled by Secrecy

10. Piano Interlude

11. Sunburn

12. Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist

13. The Small Print

14. Heartbreaker Riff

15. Time Is Running Out

16. Plug In Baby

17. Bliss

18. Dead Star

19. Micro Cuts

20. Apocalypse Please

21. Stockholm Syndrome + Outro

Look at that sexy setlist. Look at iiiiit

That set list makes my stomach turn like mad.

And my dad was there to witness it all. It drives me crazy how unappreciative he is of it :LOL:

If it wasn't for me I'm not sure he'd of seen them again and the setlist has never been as good the times ive been with him :(

I was there too, and yes, it was utterly amazing :happy:.

It was a good setlist, but at the same time it was pretty similar to all the other setlists that they were playing around that time. I remember being in the crowd and being about to predict what the next song was 90% of the time. Some surprises on that tour would have been Screenager, Showbiz, Darkshines, Feeling Good (:LOL:)

Still, a great setlist.

It was a good setlist, but at the same time it was pretty similar to all the other setlists that they were playing around that time. I remember being in the crowd and being about to predict what the next song was 90% of the time. Some surprises on that tour would have been Screenager, Showbiz, Darkshines, Feeling Good (:LOL:)

Still, a great setlist.

Funny how things change.

Seen as I wasn't a fan back then. What was the general thought of them? Were people particularly bored and unhappy with their setlists like the majority of us are now? :)

Nope, not my favourite Muse gig - probably joint-second with RAH.

Eden 2006 is still my favourite because it was such a perfect day/night :happy:.

Ah right :) , * jealousy creeps in* :(

Eden was a great time :D Such a good venue, they should hold more gigs there instead of just the few 'Sessions' a year.

The Raconteurs there in 2008 is still the best gig I've ever been to. They were immense.

Saw Bill Bailey there too and he was excellent as well, and I've got tickets for Doves in a fortnight :happy:.

Still, a great setlist.

I saw them in '04 and got Showbiz and The Groove, that was very awesome :awesome: Dead Star and Micro Cuts were shocks though no? Plus one of the two 'new songs' and a different intro.

Funny how things change.

Seen as I wasn't a fan back then. What was the general thought of them? Were people particularly bored and unhappy with their setlists like the majority of us are now? :)

Back then you didn't have people tweeting the setlist as each song is being played etc. The sets were less static than they are now, although they didn't change too much between gigs. For example I got this set in 2003

1. Apocalypse Please

2. Hysteria

3. New Born

4. Sing For Absolution

5. Thoughts of a Dying Aethiest

6. Citizen Erased

7. Space Dementia

8. Endlessly

9. Sunburn

10.Butterflies and Hurricanes

11. The Small Print

12. Forced In

13. Muscle Museum

14. Bliss

15. Time Is Running Out

16. Plug In Baby

17. Blackout

18. Stockholm Syndrome

Which isn't remarkably different from Earls Court. But back in 2003 Muse had far less songs than they do now, and didn't go down the easy route of just picking all of Absolution plus the big singles of the time (Hyper Music, Dead Star, Feeling Good, In Your World, Unintended plus stuff used in video games and films like Sober and Cave were all left off the set). It's a bit of a difference between playing Space Dementia every night or Starlight :chuckle: It was more rocking I guess. Nowadays the emphasis is on the slower stuff, hence the beef. I'm sure if MK Ultra was a regular in the set rather than Guiding Light people wouldn't be a dismayed :LOL:

1. Apocalypse Please

2. Hysteria

3. New Born

4. Sing For Absolution

6. Citizen Erased

7. Space Dementia

8. Endlessly

9. Sunburn

11. The Small Print

12. Forced In

13. Muscle Museum

14. Bliss

15. Time Is Running Out

16. Plug In Baby

17. Blackout

18. Stockholm Syndrome

:

I would kill to see that gig:

surely nodays this should be acceptable

1. Take a Bow

2. Hysteria

3. Uprising

4. Map of the Problematique / MK Ultra

5. Supermassive Black Hole

6. Citizen Erased

7. Space Dementia

8. United States of Eurasia

9. Sunburn / Ruled By Secrecy

11. Undisclosed Desires / Resistance / Starlight

12. MK Ultra

13. Muscle Museum / Assassin / The Small Print

14. Unnatural Selection

15. Time Is Running Out

16. Knights of Cydonia

17. Hoodoo / any part of exogenesis.. / Blackout

18. New Born

19. Bliss

20. Dead Star

21. Plug In Baby

22. Stockholm Syndrome

Back then you didn't have people tweeting the setlist as each song is being played etc. The sets were less static than they are now, although they didn't change too much between gigs. For example I got this set in 2003

1. Apocalypse Please

2. Hysteria

3. New Born

4. Sing For Absolution

6. Citizen Erased

7. Space Dementia

8. Endlessly

9. Sunburn

11. The Small Print

12. Forced In

13. Muscle Museum

14. Bliss

15. Time Is Running Out

16. Plug In Baby

17. Blackout

18. Stockholm Syndrome

Which isn't remarkably different from Earls Court. But back in 2003 Muse had far less songs than they do now, and didn't go down the easy route of just picking all of Absolution plus the big singles of the time (Hyper Music, Dead Star, Feeling Good, In Your World, Unintended plus stuff used in video games and films like Sober and Cave were all left off the set). It's a bit of a difference between playing Space Dementia every night or Starlight :chuckle: It was more rocking I guess. Nowadays the emphasis is on the slower stuff, hence the beef. I'm sure if MK Ultra was a regular in the set rather than Guiding Light people wouldn't be a dismayed :LOL:

I guess part of it is due to the fact they have got many many more popular singles now, songs in which they feel like they have to play.

Back then there was just Hysteria, New Born, Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Bliss, Plug In Baby and Tiro which they felt they had to play. Looking at that setlist anyway.

But now with the addition of the BHaR singles, SMBH, Starlight, Knights and then TR singles, Uprising, Resistance, USoE it makes the space for setlist fillers almost non existent.

They're just doing what they always have been, Playing their popular singles and just filling the gaps with other songs from the album they're touring but because there are many more singles, The songs from the album their touring fills the setlist completely and there is no room for older album tracks.

Annoying, but it seems like thats what they're doing anyway.

Not sure if you realised but I was actually agreeing with you generally. I guess my point is that they DO bring out some old tracks occassionally, esp. at the one-off gigs, so it's unfair to say they NEVER give us oldies. I think they DO listen to and try to take notice of what we say, but they could go further and they are without a doubt more reluctant to mix things up compared with other bands of the same stature. I've seen them countless times and things have definitely got worse in this sense as the years have gone on. Chris might use visuals as an excuse but I'm not buying it either, as they could easily hack together some standard stuff for virtually any track they might choose to play, the fact that they don't demonstrates they're happy with the sets they're doing. Either that, or the record co. are having a big say on what they play for commercial reasons, which is not something the band will ever admit to whilst under contract.

No but what they should be doing is having them much more frequently. I mean even one real rarity per show wouldn't be difficult and they could just rotate that! I think they just seem to care more about the new fans who like the new songs because I think Muse themselves like those songs more, hence phasing out the older ones...

I would kill to see that gig:

surely nodays this should be acceptable

1. Take a Bow

2. Hysteria

3. Uprising

4. Map of the Problematique / MK Ultra

5. Supermassive Black Hole

6. Citizen Erased

7. Space Dementia

8. United States of Eurasia

9. Sunburn / Ruled By Secrecy

11. Undisclosed Desires / Resistance / Starlight

12. MK Ultra

13. Muscle Museum / Assassin / The Small Print

14. Unnatural Selection

15. Time Is Running Out

16. Knights of Cydonia

17. Hoodoo / any part of exogenesis.. / Blackout

18. New Born

19. Bliss

20. Dead Star

21. Plug In Baby

22. Stockholm Syndrome

ahh henry you're back. :dance:

and yeah, that setlist (i think) is quite reasonable... however, there is no NSC or GL in it... so it'll never happen. lol.

ahh henry you're back. :dance:

and yeah, that setlist (i think) is quite reasonable... however, there is no NSC or GL in it... so it'll never happen. lol.

Hey you never know, maybe Matt will come around to the formula "Cheese = Lack of quality" soon! :chuckle: I mean NSC has been dropped on the stadium tour and Guiding Light at some arena shows so you never know! :D

Archived