the lack of common sense and unreasonable people around here... *shrug*

i wouldnt be able to handle 3 hours of muse, that's for sure. or at least, the muse i like.

3 hours of muse means they'd need longer, slower sections and that would probably get a bit boring tbh. for me a muse gig is all about the injection of energy, so i find the length of their gigs fine. im always exhausted by the end as it is. i dont know what you lot do when you see muse (do you moan about the setlists while you're there too? :p) , but for me it's non stop singing and jumping and moving.

plus, considering how much the band tours - and all the time they've been on the road since they got signed, really - they would soon be dead if they didnt impose limits to how long they play per show (yeah, i know it's easy to say 'just one more!' but they have to stop somewhere). they're not superhuman and surely they also have their own physical limitations.

i already find it a wonder how matt has never (knocks on wood!) been injured or cancelled gigs because of problems with his voice. and pray that if unfrotunately it DOES happen one day, it wont be at a gig you're at ;)

people whined because the european tour last year had less shows; people whine when they don't visit certain countries.

you cant have it all. if you want them to go everywhere, as they obviously try to, and more than once per album, then you cant demand 3 hour shows for them night after night. if they did that, then you'd probably see the band taking 2 or 3 years off between albums.

and THAT would bring a lot of whining too :p

as for the comparison to green day - i've never been to a green day concert (i simply dont care enough about their music to go see them) but from what i've seen on dvds and whatever, they talk a bit too much for my taste and their songs are much shorter, so it's not surprising they fit more songs per show than muse. and 'more' has never, and will never be = to 'better'.

to me, the way muse interact (as in, talking to the crowd) is my favorite. whenever artists talk between songs - even those who are good at it - i always find myself going 'just get on with it'.

so yeah. go muse. even crazier to see them again after RIR. been 3 weeks today!

Erm I don't think anyone in here has lacked common sense, they are just putting points and opinions across :erm:

RZwoSw_Bnuo

(To the part in bold) :chuckle:

I don't think that the amount they tour should really make them tired after playing for an hour and a half including encores and guitar swaps at the recent arena gigs. An hour and a half for an arena gig for a band the size of Muse just isn't enough.

I don't think anybody is wanting them to play three hours every night at like arena gigs, people would be hoping for more two hours there and maybe just under three hours at the stadium gigs playing about 26 songs or so? No longer does not equal better, but it can do if done correctly. I mean surely you would prefer a few more songs a night if Bliss, Citizen Erased, Showbiz and Space Dementia were played?

When people interact with the crowd it can be fun! I mean if they do it during an i

instrument change or something it would be quite fun but that never has or never will be Muse. I have been to a Green Day concert and it was actually fantastic. Maybe they spent too long doing the whole crowd thing but it was very fun, I mean, wouldn't you love to be shot at with a toilet roll shooter by a band? :LOL: It can be fun if limited and Green Day certainly have a show and setlist to compensate for the large amounts of talking.

Basically we both have different opinions. :LOL:

Re: the concerns/complaints about playing the older songs - I recall an interview with Matt once where he said that they had no plans to ever play Uno again 'cause it didn't represent his mindset any more, and Dom chimed in with the fact that he was sick of playing it out of a boredom factor....

:(

True, but do you really expect them to just fling out Fury or Dead Star now in the middle of The Resistance stadium tour? They are called rarities for a reason. If they ever do play them it'll probably be incredibly random like at an obscure festival or something. I could see them pulling one of them out at Glastonbury.

Well maybe not specific songs but stuff like Micro Cuts, Blackout, Sing for Absolution were brought back for the last stadium tour, but then on the BHaR tour Muse weren't just in auto pilot 'most accesssible new stuff + singles' mode for every single gig so we actually got varied setlists between different legs of the tour and for each gig after the initial period. There was still a real possibility of seeing Apocalypse Please, Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Showbiz, Citizen Erased (and still there was setlist beef :LOL:). They did practically re-write Cave for this tour and then drop it in favour of Feeling Good or even just playing a shorter set which seems baffling really. It's such a good version of an old song. If they were to play the same set every night then why not include a song from the first album (that a lot in the crowd don't know about probably) that hadn't been played for 8 years?

Well yes. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to play one song for the hardcore fans. Not even a rarity, but something that were regulars in the past (Showbiz, Space Dementia, TSP, Assassin, etc.). One slot for the hardcores would dissuade a lot of the moaning. Especially since they do what they did in Japan and play tons of fan fav rarities, then suddenly drop them. It's confusing and frustrating.

Is it really that hard to throw in a non-single song from before TR?

Well they've brought back Take a Bow now, but yeah it seems as soon as they're away from their actual mainstream gigs (in Europe and America) and playing either outside the core music centres or at a festival then they actually play older or rockier songs. Does this mean they actually like playing these ones? Or are these 'festival' sets made up of what they think are their best songs? Or is it to appeal to fans that potentially don't even like Muse at all rather than fans who maybe like a couple of singles and decided to check them out live (who are at their gigs)? It's so very confusing :LOL:

This was posted in the Madrid thread.

DB: OK, so what you're saying is that you'll build a stage show around what will be the set list?

CW: Kind of, yeah. I mean we try and be a little bit flexible with the set list, but it has actually become a bit of a problem now, because the way the set list is structured at the minute, with the production and everything, it does have to be a bit consistent every night. We've got these lifts that move up and down, and the problem is that 20 years ago people didn't know any different, because people from Birmingham would go to the gig in Birmingham, and that's all they would see. Thirty gigs later you'll be in Stockholm or something, and that'll be the first time people have seen that show.

Nowadays, as soon as you've done the first show, the whole f****** lot's online and people are

expecting to see something different every night. We're assuming that the people we are playing to are seeing this for the first time - if you spoiled it by going on YouTube, that's not our fault!

SE: Well exactly, that's what I did the other day; I thought 'I wonder what Sheffield looked like'. So I've seen the opening. I've seen Uprising, but I've not told my mate here. It'll probably still blow the shit out of me, y'know. How far are you going to be able to take this? You can't take it all the way to Brazil, can you?

CW: Well, I mean usually when you go to South America or Asia or places like that, you kind of have to cut down a little bit, because obviously the cost of shipping everything is just horrendous.

SE: So next week in Paris for example…

CW: Oh yeah, for the whole of the European tour. The plan is to take a slightly scaled-down version of it over to America to tour it there, but the thing is to make it work moneywise, the stage costs so much to build that you have to get your use out of it, and to then rebuild that in South America for five gigs would just mean we'd come out of it probably millions of pounds in debt - it just doesn't work. So you have to think about it sensibly, and obviously going over to South America, I don't think people expect you to put on that kind of show. The show is always good, and I always say that the production side of things, the video, the cameras, all the lights, should really be secondary to

the music. At the end of the day people come to hear the music and watch you play live, and if you can't pull that off without all of that, then you shouldn't really be in a band. You need to be able to pull it off when you're stripped to the bare bones.

http://www.rotherhamunited-mad.co.uk/news/loadroll.asp?cid=EDZ5

On the first bit he does have a point but people have followed bands on tours for a long long time. I feel that had they used that Turin setlist as the arena tour setlist with a few minor changes as and when then there would be far fewer complaints

On a note of getting bored of songs, Feeling Good has been a staple in setlists for 7 of the last 10 years, and a regular for 2 of the other three. How the fuck are they not bored of that? Sorry, you can't give me the "bored of songs" excuse because they'd be bored of that, along with New Born and Plug In Baby which have been staples for a full 10 years now, too, and they're not.

Feeling Good has actually become a staple since about 2007. It was very rarely played on the Abso tour. Just think.. a big one off show like Earls Court and it wasn't played. That would be joy in this present time :LOL:

01. Intro Riff

02. Hysteria

03. Butterflies & Hurricanes

04. New Born

05. Sing For Absolution

06. Crying Shame

07. Muscle Museum

08. Citizen Erased

09. Ruled by Secrecy

10. Piano Interlude

11. Sunburn

12. Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist

13. The Small Print

14. Heartbreaker Riff

15. Time Is Running Out

16. Plug In Baby

17. Bliss

18. Dead Star

19. Micro Cuts

20. Apocalypse Please

21. Stockholm Syndrome + Outro

Look at that sexy setlist. Look at iiiiit

Feeling Good has actually become a staple since about 2007. It was very rarely played on the Abso tour. Just think.. a big one off show like Earls Court and it wasn't played. That would be joy in this present time :LOL:

01. Intro Riff

02. Hysteria

03. Butterflies & Hurricanes

04. New Born

05. Sing For Absolution

06. Crying Shame

07. Muscle Museum

08. Citizen Erased

09. Ruled by Secrecy

10. Piano Interlude

11. Sunburn

12. Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist

13. The Small Print

14. Heartbreaker Riff

15. Time Is Running Out

16. Plug In Baby

17. Bliss

18. Dead Star

19. Micro Cuts

20. Apocalypse Please

21. Stockholm Syndrome + Outro

Look at that sexy setlist. Look at iiiiit

Ahh they can make an amazing setlist of 21 songs. 2 albums later and the setlists have grown by about 1/2 songs, in some cases gotten shorter! :$

Ahh they can make an amazing setlist of 21 songs. 2 albums later and the setlists have grown by about 1/2 songs' date=' in some cases gotten shorter! :$[/quote']

Yeah, minus the riffs/interludes. Kind of embarassing they've recently done shorter sets when 5-6 years ago they played longer

Please, someone tell me why this isn't possible?

Uprising

Dead Star

New Born

Map Of The Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Resistance

Hysteria

MK Ultra

Citizen Erased/Butterflies & Hurricanes

United States Of Eurasia

I Belong To You

[A Piano Song]

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Bliss (Ext.)

Time Is Running Out

Plug In Baby

Unnatural Selection

-----

Exogenesis, Pt.1: Overture

Stockholm Syndrome

Take A Bow

-----

[Dealer's Choice/Additional Poll Song]

Knights Of Cydonia

Please, someone tell me why this isn't possible?

Uprising

Dead Star

New Born

Map Of The Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Resistance

Hysteria

MK Ultra

Citizen Erased/Butterflies & Hurricanes

United States Of Eurasia

I Belong To You

[A Piano Song]

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Bliss (Ext.)

Time Is Running Out

Plug In Baby

Unnatural Selection

-----

Exogenesis, Pt.1: Overture

Stockholm Syndrome

Take A Bow

-----

[Dealer's Choice/Additional Poll Song]

Knights Of Cydonia

Are you insane man you can't never ever leave out feeling good or guiding light! Mr Bellamy would kill you! :(

Oh god, reading back, why do people think "Give them a break, they're human, don't go to the show then" is a perfectly constructive excuse to their current performance? I'm not shooting down the positive aspect because having recently seen them, they do put on a good show but that reasoning is not realistic and if people are paying money to see something I think they have the right to say what they wish as long as it's constructive criticism. Seriously

Anyone who tells me to sell my ticket because I'm not happy with current sets etc can blow me. That's no excuse as to WHY sets are as bad as they are. That's just another fangirl/boy trying to take the easy way out rather than agreeing with quite a few of the criticisms made.

Oh god, reading back, why do people think "Give them a break, they're human, don't go to the show then" is a perfectly constructive excuse to their current performance? I'm not shooting down the positive aspect because having recently seen them, they do put on a good show but that reasoning is not realistic and if people are paying money to see something I think they have the right to say what they wish as long as it's constructive criticism. Seriously

It's true, it's not fair saying their only human. Their job is to play music for people. If people in other jobs wern't living up to their expectations, they wouldn't be in the job...:rolleyes:

I think the issue is that the sets aren't really objectively bad. In regards to them living up to their expectations I bet if you did an exit poll the vast majority would be satisfied.

That said, I don't really disagree with people's criticisms, setlists could longer/more varied etc. but I think people are settings their expectations too high - I aim to enjoy it for what it is and I think the gigs are (probably - I haven't been to a stadium gig this year yet) awesome in their own right. :)

Wasn't I lucky then :awesome::LOL:

Aww poor you :( Though I didn't mind it back then :LOL:

Anyone who tells me to sell my ticket because I'm not happy with current sets etc can blow me. That's no excuse as to WHY sets are as bad as they are. That's just another fangirl/boy trying to take the easy way out rather than agreeing with quite a few of the criticisms made.

Exactly. I was a fangirl once too you know maybe still am. Who knows

It's true' date=' it's not fair saying their only human. Their job is to play music for people. If people in other jobs wern't living up to their expectations, they wouldn't be in the job...:rolleyes:[/quote']

Pretty much, yeah. Every band tours, every band has to please fans and newcomers. Some do it well, some do it badly. Muse have won countless awards for best Live Band but they don't seem to be stepping up their game anymore. Think of poor Dave Gahan who was seriously ill with pancreatic cancer, they postponed shows, not cancelled (though festivals were) and he was up and running again and they toured all over. He is human and still did it. And The Cure as I say who are in their 50s, 20 years older than Muse. So the "only human" thing is bull. If they didn't like touring they wouldn't do it so much then

Whilst I was impressed with the Cure's 3.5 hr set I really wouldn't want this from Muse. Different band, different style, I couldn;t handle 3.5 hrs of Muse. Their set lengths are not a big problem for me, 2 hrs at Paris was OK - another 20 minutes would be nice, but not a big deal. Song choice is though, but Chris is spot on here...

This was posted in the Madrid thread.

sensible stuff from Chris

He's basically saying the band still feel that the music is the most important aspect, but if they're playing in big arenas or stadia then they have to put on a visual show, and that restricts set lists. Plus, in the past fans were not aware of the sets from every gig, so consistent sets have only become a problem in the digital age. Can't argue with this, most people aren't like us in this thread, going to 5 or 6 gigs per tour, they go to 1 gig and want to hear the latest album tracks and that's what Muse give them.

Anyway, we do get rarities sometimes- Fury & Megalomania at RAH, DS & SD at V, Cave on the arena tour, CE at RAR, and don't forget Unintended and MC were big surprises at Wembley. But you can't blame hardcore fans for occasionally wanting Showbiz, MM, RBS, TG, TSP, Assassin etc all of which seem to have been abandoned since the early days of the BH&R tour. Other bands manage to mix up sets and there's nothing stopping Muse creating some visuals for older songs if that's the only hurdle - if they really wanted to play them then they could, we can only assume they don't want to. At least we know pretty much what to expect these days so you just have to decide if it's worth the price of a ticket.

He's basically saying the band still feel that the music is the most important aspect, but if they're playing in big arenas or stadia then they have to put on a visual show, and that restricts set lists.

Anyway, we do get rarities sometimes- Fury & Megalomania at RAH, DS & SD at V, Cave on the arena tour, CE at RAR, and don't forget Unintended and MC were big surprises at Wembley. But you can't blame hardcore fans for occasionally wanting Showbiz, MM, RBS, TG, TSP, Assassin etc all of which seem to have been abandoned since the early days of the BH&R tour. Other bands manage to mix up sets and there's nothing stopping Muse creating some visuals for older songs if that's the only hurdle - if they really wanted to play them then they could, we can only assume they don't want to. At least we know pretty much what to expect these days so you just have to decide if it's worth the price of a ticket.

So where could they play any setlist with any rarities or even a single song for the hardcore fans if in big arenas and stadiums they HAVE to haave a visual show? The videos of Earl's Court don't show a properly visual show and the majority of people who went to those shows and more recent ones say they were miles better!

But don't you see, with the exception of Cave on this tour, the rest were years ago! They've pretty much forgotten they made Origin of Symmetry and Absolution bar the singles from them! What would be the issue in them playing a couple of album tracks from there? Tracks like Ruled by Secrecy, The Small Print, Hyper Music would all get good reactions at a gig as most fans would at least know those two albums! It just shows they are reluctant to change and whatever Chris says, Matt will always want to have massive flashy lights and play the bigger singles plus songs from the most recent album...

What I dont understand is the idea that 'casual fans' are always 1st timers at gigs and prefer to hear all the newest material. Most people that I know how have listened to Muse casually or just sometimes actually prefer OoS/Absolution era and like the non single songs. I cant stand the Material at gigs is catered to people who've never really heard Muse before or perhaps only know a couple of singles. If you play the rarities to them its not going to matter either way as it'l be a first to them AND keep the actual more hardcore Muse fans happy.

Further to that, it's not hard to build a balanced set that caters for both, is it?

For every Supermassive or Resistance there should be a New Born, Bliss, Apocalypse Please, B&H or Take A Bow.

It just baffles me that Muse seem to genuinely think that the majority of fans, those who have followed them for years as much as those who have only picked up on the recently, want to see so much cheesy pop music. A smattering is fine, but when you've got Supermassive, Neutron Star Collision, Guiding Light, Starlight, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires and Feeling Good all in the same set, there's a fundamental problem with the balance of the setlist.

Srsly, it would take so little to remedy this :'(. I don't think anyone here is calling for wholesale changes to Muse's live show, just a little more recognition of their rockier roots and evidence they can still rock (Assassin, MK Ultra, etc).

Whilst I was impressed with the Cure's 3.5 hr set I really wouldn't want this from Muse. Different band, different style, I couldn;t handle 3.5 hrs of Muse. Their set lengths are not a big problem for me, 2 hrs at Paris was OK - another 20 minutes would be nice, but not a big deal. Song choice is though, but Chris is spot on here...

No, I'd never expect Muse to play for that long, it was too long for me, I had to leave at 3 hours. I enjoyed it but it's a bit long winded rather much like seeing a really long film :LOL: I was just using them as an example of the "They're just human" bullshit

Archived