Do you seperate the band from the music?

Liron

This really isn't just about Muse but pretty general. We started this discussion on the Q magazine thread in Media...

If you found out your favorite band isn't so nice/If a band member wasn't kind to you, would you still be able to listen to them?

Discuss :p

Yes.

I'm not buying their shit because I want them to be lovely gentleman. I'm buying their shit because I want my ipod to be filled with pwoper, great music. A good example: kanye west. Douchebag, but I love his music.

Just my opinion. *holds up flame shield*

When I was a young'un, I was a big Fall Out Boy fan. (:facepalm: don't judge) for a while, and then I heard this story about the band just being complete douchebags to a whole crowd who had waited out in the rain for hours for a meet and greet. I don't know why, but it just really turned me off from their music. (But, then again, their music wasn't as important to me as Muse's music is now...)

So I guess it depends on the situation? But it HAS happened to me.

If I'm a big fan of the music nothing can really change that. If they are complete idiots though or aren't very good to their fans I won't become a huge fan.

With muse I love their music too much fOr anything like personalities to effect the way I perceive it.

I would probably still listen to the music (not as much, though), but I wouldn't "care" about the band members as people and read all kinds of interviews, be active on the messgeboard, and stuff like that. It definitely influences how much I like a band. Maybe that's wrong, but that's me.

Sometimes when I discover a band, I hesitate to find out too much about them because I'm not sure I want to know too many details in case they're douchebags. But if what I find out is positive, it usually makes me want to keep learning even more about them and buying all their records. I used to really like Hole, but I got to where I didn't want to hear it any more because Courtney Love is such a fuck up. The same happened with Jane's Addiction. I LOVE their music, but my love for them is tainted because they were always at each others' throats.

I <3 Muse. :happy:

I'd still listen to the music, because my love for the music started well before my love for the band as people.

No one is perfect and we all are prone to fuck ups, big and small. If the boys ended up doing something I didn't agree with, oh well, -- I am sure there is a lot in what I do daily that someone else wouldn't support either. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt first.

As I said in the other thread, I'd still listen to their music. I fell in love with their music when I didn't even know what they looked like or how many people were in the band. I didn't see any interviews with them until I joined the forum which was more than half a year after I discovered them. That said I wouldn't like them as much if they were dickheads. I probably wouldn't be active on their forums if they treated their fans like shit. There are some bands that I think are brilliant but some of the band members annoy me.

I wouldn't be as devoted to them if they turned out to be fake assholes who insult or make fun of their fans. I was hesistant to get "invested" in Muse for a while. I had already been invested in 2 other bands and I always hear stories about how rude they are to fans. Even though I haven't experienced it. Quite the opposite actually. So I wanted to remain detached from Muse to keep the music pure. But curiosity got the best of me and I began reading interviews, watching stuff outside the music and realizing they're a great group of guys! So now I'm even more into them than the other bands I used to love.

It's really hard to have to witness a band you've admired since childhood start backlashing against their fanbase, acting completely opposite of what they stood by before and having this attitude of being above everyone. Not like they were perfect before. But things have gotten progressively worse and publicly embarrassing. :$ I'm not mentioning any names. :LOL:

But since that has happened, I'm not jumping first in line to buy anything from said band, or keeping up on news/updates/message boards/etc. I still listen to the music now and again. But nothing like before.

I really don't care how they act, as long as their music is still awesome, BUT if I learned that a band was REALLY nice and friendly and wants to interact with their fanbase, I would probably get into them more and try to attend concerts/Meet n' greets and such.

If the band were rude idiots but released good music, I'd still be fine, if the band were awesome and friendly, it would enhance my expirience of listening to them. If that makes sense to anyone.

e.g. Last night at a concert I went to, one band kept talking to us, and telling how much they liked being here(then again it WAS their hometown. And the lead singer pointed to my mom and called her a chick :awesome:) and I really enjoyed them and their music, and most likely I'm going to get into them alot more. The other band, though, just played music and hardly talked to us at all. This doesn't mean I'll stop liking them, I'll just keep listening to their music like I did before the concert.

Re Muse (mainly from the other thread actually, being lazy) I loved their music for a while before I knew anything about them, two to three years maybe. Well I did know of them longer and thought they were something special, but to my shame hadn't got round to buying their music.:$

However I held them in high regard before I knew anything about them as people, simply because the music is so great, alongside the fact that they didn't appear to be full of themselves which I respected, but following getting involved in this site and watching the interviews, it definitely makes the fanhood more full on, seeing more of them as people as they are so lovely! :happy: I wish now I'd bothered to find out earlier.

I think now, because I already know how likeable they are, if one of them was unkind or rude to me, it wouldn't change my opinion of them as people (I could rationalise it) and I can't imagine what they would need to do to put me off listening to their music tbh. I don't think there is anything apart from producing bad music.

As for when artists are dickheads, it doesn't put me off listening to the music as I don't usually get that involved, but I wouldn't go out of my way to support them or keep visiting their websites.

Maybe it would affect me if they were directly rude to me, but I dunno what would happen if they were just horrible in general.

I guess I've sort of had the reverse happen. I saw this band open at one of the gigs I went to, and they were a lot of fun, and I met them. They were so nice and I think that made me like them a lot more.

I guess it doesn't really matter to me because the only aspect of the band I truly keep up with is the music bit. I don't hear a lot of people saying bad things about bands I like because to get news about them I look directly at their websites, and they're not likely to have negative information about themselves. So maybe any sort of doucheyness would go over my head.

:rolleyes: [/decisive]

Considering we can pretty well much guess the sort of guys muse are from thier interviews,the meets and greets,fan interactions and so on we can tell they are nice guys. If however they were rude to me I would just put it down to long hours,tiredness, maybe they had a fight with each other and i would still listen to them.

If however I jumped on say matt and started snooshing him like the world was about to end in another second and he was my last kiss then i would deserve him to be rude to me for imposing an uncomfortble situation.

Now while on this thread not that it would happen "how would you react if they asked you out because they simply wanted to get to know you" <== not likely to happen but it could. Would you be able to keep it to yourself or tell the world??

I'm huge on personality so having a band that I like a lot acting like ass-holes kinda ruins it for me. Most of the bands I like are nice, funny people. But I have been known to like music that have ass-holes in their bands and I've been known to like a musician but not like their music. Did that make sense? :LOL:

"how would you react if they asked you out because they simply wanted to get to know you" <== not likely to happen but it could. Would you be able to keep it to yourself or tell the world??

If it was "asking out :eyebrows: " asking out, like a date, then I would tell people that I met them and be excited about that aspect. But I'd keep my mouth shut about the details and the rest because that stuff is always personal, no matter who it's with, famous or otherwise.

If I find out that a band I like is a massive bunch of wanks/arseholes then their music tends to lose all sincerity in my eyes :supersad: And while I'd like to be able to keep listening to them, their music just becomes laughable.

But that's based on their personalities overall, not on maybe one or two incidents where I don't necessarily know the circumstances in which they occurred.

I'd still listen to the music, because my love for the music started well before my love for the band as people.

No one is perfect and we all are prone to fuck ups, big and small. If the boys ended up doing something I didn't agree with, oh well, -- I am sure there is a lot in what I do daily that someone else wouldn't support either. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt first.

+1 :yesey:

If it was "asking out :eyebrows: " asking out, like a date, then I would tell people that I met them and be excited about that aspect. But I'd keep my mouth shut about the details and the rest because that stuff is always personal, no matter who it's with, famous or otherwise.

Exactly :yesey: Personal stuff should stay that way........Personal :)

Sometimes when I discover a band, I hesitate to find out too much about them because I'm not sure I want to know too many details in case they're douchebags.

I <3 Muse. :happy:

douchebaggery is what put me off Oasis, initially( then their music started becoming crap too); I did stop reading interviews or trying to find out anything about bands I liked for several years;

generally, I don't care much whether bands I like are nice people -- the music is the most important thing; that said, I can't listen to someone who is racist, homophobic, xenophobic, or less seriously, someone who has to slag off other bands all the time (see Noel Gallagher- what an asshole; never understood why he's so worshipped in the UK)

douchebaggery is what put me off Oasis, initially( then their music started becoming crap too); I did stop reading interviews or trying to find out anything about bands I liked for several years;

generally, I don't care much whether bands I like are nice people -- the music is the most important thing; that said, I can't listen to someone who is racist, homophobic, xenophobic, or less seriously, someone who has to slag off other bands all the time (see Noel Gallagher- what an asshole; never understood why he's so worshipped in the UK)

I've never gotten the hype surrounding Noel Gallagher either :erm:

Archived