Do you seperate the band from the music?

Liron

I'll still listen to the music of less-than-likable people, so long as they aren't totally despicable. But if they're just rude, impersonable, conceited, etc., I can easily look past that when the music starts playing. I might not want to go to a concert and I probably wouldn't have an interest in reading/watching interviews by them. But I'd still listen and enjoy.

All that said, Muse's personality being what it is has really enhanced my love for them. I'd love their music no matter what, but I so enjoy watching or reading interviews by them. They're smart, have a wonderful sense of humor about themselves and everything else, and are generally very good to fans. I'm very rarely starstruck ... I don't have any strong desire to meet most musicians, athletes or other celebrities. But I have to admit I'm entirely smitten with Matt, Dom and Chris. I can always count on them to lighten my mood.

I'll still listen to the music of less-than-likable people, so long as they aren't totally despicable. But if they're just rude, impersonable, conceited, etc., I can easily look past that when the music starts playing. I might not want to go to a concert and I probably wouldn't have an interest in reading/watching interviews by them. But I'd still listen and enjoy.

All that said, Muse's personality being what it is has really enhanced my love for them. I'd love their music no matter what, but I so enjoy watching or reading interviews by them. They're smart, have a wonderful sense of humor about themselves and everything else, and are generally very good to fans. I'm very rarely starstruck ... I don't have any strong desire to meet most musicians, athletes or other celebrities. But I have to admit I'm entirely smitten with Matt, Dom and Chris. I can always count on them to lighten my mood.

Ditto that :D

Hmmm.....

I would still like their music, yeah. I really can't say accurately whether I would like it less, though, because the music is so fantastic that I would love it either way, but them being jerks would kind of mess it up.

I think one reason we all love Muse so much (among many reasons :D) is because it's almost like we've gotten to "know" Matt, Dom and Chris. Their personalities are unique, witty, awesome, etc and they're really nice guys to boot. :D So they're not just these anonymous faces behind the music; they're actual people we've read interviews with, saw them interact with people, etc (some of us have even interacted with them).

So I think I'd still like their music alot, but if they were jerks, alot of the "personal" feeling would be gone. I'm not sure if I worded that well (or to not seem like a stalker or something :LOL:) but that's my opinion on it.

Of course! How else could we despise Muse for becoming so ingrained in the Twilight franchise and still eagerly await each new release?

What you mean "we," Kemosabi? And Muse is not "ingrained" in the Twilight franchise. Well, I mean, at least not as far as I know ... I guess Matt's house could be wallpapered in Robert Pattinson posters for all we know.:LOL::stunned:

What you mean "we," Kemosabi? And Muse is not "ingrained" in the Twilight franchise. Well, I mean, at least not as far as I know ... I guess Matt's house could be wallpapered in Robert Pattinson posters for all we know.:LOL::stunned:

:eek::LOL:

I think that I would still listen to Muse if they had awful personalities or were bad to their fans, because it was Matt in his little red suit on Guitar Hero that drew me in originally--it was the music.

But I think what makes Muse so special are the personalities of Chris, Dom, and Matt--yes, the music is amazing, and yes they are so very talented. But you can have a collection of great musicians who make amazing music and it's like watching paint dry when you see them on television, and Muse aren't like that. Things like Dom's sunny disposition or Matt's conspiracy theories or Chris' facial expressions add to my personal appreciation of the band. If they were bad to their fans or were just awful in general, I'd still like their music, I just wouldn't like the people making it.

Didn't mean to write a book! Sorry! :$

If I found out that one of my favorite bands were complete idiots and really rude, I wouldn't like the music less but I don't think I would listen to them as much. Rude people really turns me off, especially bands that are rude toward their fans and so on. That's just unacceptable. Sure, I know no one's perfect but still.

Not really. I got massively turned off Paramore when I opened the booklet of their new album to find a big fat "I'D LIKE TO THANK OUR HOLY FATHER" from the band.

Yes, I'm an Atheist. Strong Christians piss me off big time.

Same happened to me! :LOL::LOL:

Opened the booklet and made this face :rolleyes:

Edit: If Muse were rude to their fans or something I couldn't deal with it, the fans are what made them successfull and they should appreciate that I think. So I couldn't really seperate it. :erm:

I think that music should all be about the music. The celebrity commersialism is so wrong, and is turning entertainment into a world of good looking, untalented young people who have one-hit-wonders.

However, I think because of the increase in media these days, bands are interviewed a great deal. If Muse were rude and vile, and beat people up all the time, I would be put off their music. For example, I have never really heard Oasis, but Noel Gallager is so rude and disrespectful, I havnt even bothered to try the music out.

I think everyone prefers a band who seem like nice people, and respect their fans and peers, even if it is supposed to be all about the music.

Paramore + God = Typically annoying. Actually (slightly off topic here) in the program for The Phantom of the Opeara (yes, I like musicals) it said at the bottom of someone's credits: 'I would like to thank God for this oppurtunity'. I just said "Oh, so was he the casting directer then?" :rolleyes:

Not really. I got massively turned off Paramore when I opened the booklet of their new album to find a big fat "I'D LIKE TO THANK OUR HOLY FATHER" from the band.

Yes, I'm an Atheist. Strong Christians piss me off big time.

Holy shit, EXACTLY the same story with me. I was afraid to say it because people might think of me as someone who discriminates god-people. Well, they'd actually be right, but I never act upon these feelings... like, I'd never tell someone to get effed because they're religious.

But anyway... exactly the same thing with me and Paramore. I used to be into them big-time... then, I opened the booklet to Riot, and they thanked jeeezus before they thanked their families and friends in the, like, "thanks to all these people" bits. And apparently Hayley made a big thing about saying "god" in Misery Business, apologizing and stuff, and I'm like... get real, grow the fucking fuck up.

This video was the final nail in the coffin. I was literally facepalming. I gave up imaginary friends when I was five :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmw2bCuDq-c

What a bunch of dorks.

And another thing... Skillet. I heard Monster, and I thought... holy FUCK, this song is t3h br0000000talz!!!!!!!11!

But then I find out that they're an uber-religious band, and that the "monster" inside them they were singing about was sin. NO THANKS! Haha, total dweeeeeeeeeeeeeeebs.

Sorry for the rant :awesome:

I would say it kind of depends. I mean, I would always love their music -- that's what you like about a band in the first place, right? But like others have mentioned, I'd probably stop posting in their forums or reading interviews with them, etc. I guess I'd become less "emotionally invested" in the band :LOL:

Thankfully it seems like the guys are actually good people who care about us, despite all of our abuse :LOL: so I think I will continue to be "emotionally invested" for a long time ;)

One last thing, at the risk of starting an argument, I just have to say that, from an opposite POV than what others are describing, the religious views of a band would certainly not turn me off of their music. But to each their own, I guess.

Do you separate the band from the music?

no, cause simply I can't. I know I should, but I can't.

Matthew for me is a pure genius, and I love all the expressions of his art.

of course I can't agree with everything he does or says, but I try to understand him, I try to imagine in my mind his reasons, to re-create his points of view.

I mix his life and my life into his music, his feelings and and my feelings into his notes and his talent.

I know that is wrong. that is crazy, pointless and wrong. but I am a fan. and for me this is natural.

Same happened to me! :LOL::LOL:

Opened the booklet and made this face :rolleyes:

Edit: If Muse were rude to their fans or something I couldn't deal with it, the fans are what made them successfull and they should appreciate that I think. So I couldn't really seperate it. :erm:

I think the danger though is misunderstanding and not knowing circumstances. Sometimes fans expect too much. Also if they put the artists they admire on too high a pedestal, one day, sooner or later, it's likely they may topple off. Basically they're human like anyone and have their good and bad days, their admirable and less than admirable qualities and they have their own pressures.

Now I'm not talking about Muse in particular and the guys in Muse are lovely, but you can bet they have upset fans at some point. In fact I've already seen evidence of it. I've seen rants on Matt's myspace for instance about silly things like not replying to that person's particular message even though we have heard that he receives them at the rate of 200 an hour.

The more famous they get, the more likely any supposed "misdemeanours" will be reported and distorted because that's what the press thrive on. So just be aware. ;):)

I prefer the warts and all approach. :D They must have some things about them that aren't too great or they wouldn't be human! And I think they'd have to do something really appallingly bad to make me turn my back on them, how I feel at present. I don't even know what.

Put something I thought was funny but then worried about psychos misinterpreting it

In general I care about the music, I mean, I just love music and mostly don't care about the bands too much. I still like the first 2 albums of Oasis, don't care about the guys, but then I wouldn't say that I'm a fan either, just like those 2 albums.

But it's a slightly different with Muse, they're my favourite band and I do read some interviews and bought the "Inside the muscle museum" book. They're the only band I'd do that for, lol. But I'm a rather lazy fan, I don't bother hunting for every interview or article. I've never tried to meet them either, I'm just too scared of bothering or annoying them. I'm weird. I guess, I wouldn't care so much if they were behaving like the Oasis guy, then I'd probably just like some albums.

That's really an interesting question!

I'd still listen to the music, because my love for the music started well before my love for the band as people.

No one is perfect and we all are prone to fuck ups, big and small. If the boys ended up doing something I didn't agree with, oh well, -- I am sure there is a lot in what I do daily that someone else wouldn't support either. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt first.

Hey Natalia,

I agree with what you said. We heard the music before we knew the band... but every persone take it different.

Archived