whether or not those things are good or not is open to interpretation. I think it's because muse haven't gone the whole distance and completely changed that leads to confusion, frustration and negativity. The last two albums certainly have elements that fit with the first 3 but these tend to be overlooked regarding singles and the live shows and it is the different way in which the band gets exposure, through the love pop singles and greatest hits setlists that are turning people off which is manifesting in negativity on the forums. Nothing to do with Muse getting popular per se, just the way in which they are doing it and where there perceived priorities lie

Geez, some responders completely misconstrued the original poster's true intent with their message. How blown out-of-proportion can one (many in this case) make it? The original poster stated, "I have noticed an increase of criticism on these boards. Whether it's about setlists or Twilight, a minority of musers seem to moan about everything. It's starting to get on my nerves, and I don't think I'm the only one who wouldn't mind a bit of positivity for a change." Notice they didn't say ALL positivity, as some have proclaimed, just "a bit." There is a difference.

They continued, "I'm sure everyone has had the odd disagreement or minor annoyance they want to talk about, but I think it's time people stopped constantly complaining.... If you want to criticize and be negative all the time, go somewhere else." Again, this is not stating that freedom of speech should be denied to some members of this site, regardless of their opinion. It's simply stating that the constant complaining and negativity gets to be a bit old after a while.

If you were volunteering for a political party in the run-up to an election, while I'm sure some negativity wouldn't be frowned upon and may even motivate certain individuals to work harder to achieve their goal, if the negativity became constant, I have a feeling that would put a damper upon the volunteers' mood and many may then start to wonder, "What's the point anymore? Our candidate doesn't have a chance."

If you were dating or married to an individual, of course there will be complaining and some negativity during the course of the relationship, but there is such a thing as too much of either (or both).

Some are looking through black-and-white lenses and being completely hypocritical. So, it's alright (all right) to criticize Muse on a fan board with a great deal of frequency, yet it's not okay for another to criticize those whom are being highly critical for being too negative? Then for those whom are being highly critical of the band to state things like, "free speech is a good thing," while simultaneously criticizing a poster's beliefs which contradict their own, is ridiculous.

Oh, how I long for the day to be constantly insulted by a wife, for me to finally say, "I don't think this is working anymore," and for her to respond, "What, I don't have a right to my own opinion?" Yeah, she did/does, but it certainly didn't make for a very pleasant environment, that's for sure.

Actually one thing I have noticed is that, in general, if people are criticising something of Muse, then most people are criticising the same thing - like Guiding Light, the overplaying of Feeling Good and, obviously, Neutron Star Collision, for example. But then, with so many moaning about the same particular thing - well, surely that just tells you that what Muse did was not good, and we should be able to accept that we're not going to like everything they do, because they can't be 100% all the time.

Well they can, but they won't be. They are (almost super) human after all.

most people who like it are afraid to resist seeing some mods posting maybe. oh won't i be banned? :LOL:

they just read and nothing more. that's why the general picture is a black square.

Actually one thing I have noticed is that, in general, if people are criticising something of Muse, then most people are criticising the same thing - like Guiding Light, the overplaying of Feeling Good and, obviously, Neutron Star Collision, for example. But then, with so many moaning about the same particular thing - well, surely that just tells you that what Muse did was not good, and we should be able to accept that we're not going to like everything they do, because they can't be 100% all the time.

Well they can, but they won't be. They are (almost super) human after all.

Of course Muse can't be right all the time, but on your point about people moaning about the same thing, knowing a bit about the psychology of conformity, that's often what happens in groups. If people are feeling uncomfortable about expressing opinions that appear to be against the general consensus such as they like Guiding Light or Feeling Good, then that could well be the sort of thing that is going on.

Not to say that others don't genuinely feel what they are expressing whether it's negative or positive, but it can't always be assumed that an apparent consensus is always really there. Some people will comply to fit in with the group and some will think that what they are reading must be right just because they see quite a few others expressing it. In fact that is exactly what you are saying in your post. :)

Also just to add to that, minority groups can also influence the majority if they're consistent enough in what they say.

I have been lurking for a few months and I am a brand spanking new Muse fan. I got to learn and love Muse backasswards. I started with Resistance, which I thoroughly enjoy and with each album it just got better and better for me....so in my eyes at times it seems weird to criticize...but I totally get the criticism.

It is also kind of fun listening with my children. My 8 & 6 year olds immediately latch onto the more mainstream sounding songs whereas I like those but enjoy more of the musically deep ones.

i dont post much around here because of that either. im not online 24 hours a day, im not spamming the board or posting every 30 seconds. im not really interested in coming here after a day at work to let myself drag down and be all negative about something i like and that gives me joy.

Geez, some responders completely misconstrued the original poster's true intent with their message. How blown out-of-proportion can one (many in this case) make it? The original poster stated, "I have noticed an increase of criticism on these boards. Whether it's about setlists or Twilight, a minority of musers seem to moan about everything. It's starting to get on my nerves, and I don't think I'm the only one who wouldn't mind a bit of positivity for a change." Notice they didn't say ALL positivity, as some have proclaimed, just "a bit." There is a difference.

They continued, "I'm sure everyone has had the odd disagreement or minor annoyance they want to talk about, but I think it's time people stopped constantly complaining.... If you want to criticize and be negative all the time, go somewhere else." Again, this is not stating that freedom of speech should be denied to some members of this site, regardless of their opinion. It's simply stating that the constant complaining and negativity gets to be a bit old after a while.

If you were volunteering for a political party in the run-up to an election, while I'm sure some negativity wouldn't be frowned upon and may even motivate certain individuals to work harder to achieve their goal, if the negativity became constant, I have a feeling that would put a damper upon the volunteers' mood and many may then start to wonder, "What's the point anymore? Our candidate doesn't have a chance."

If you were dating or married to an individual, of course there will be complaining and some negativity during the course of the relationship, but there is such a thing as too much of either (or both).

Some are looking through black-and-white lenses and being completely hypocritical. So, it's alright (all right) to criticize Muse on a fan board with a great deal of frequency, yet it's not okay for another to criticize those whom are being highly critical for being too negative? Then for those whom are being highly critical of the band to state things like, "free speech is a good thing," while simultaneously criticizing a poster's beliefs which contradict their own, is ridiculous.

Oh, how I long for the day to be constantly insulted by a wife, for me to finally say, "I don't think this is working anymore," and for her to respond, "What, I don't have a right to my own opinion?" Yeah, she did/does, but it certainly didn't make for a very pleasant environment, that's for sure.

great post. but of course most people are too narrow minded to understand what you're saying i reckon...

it's not a matter of being entitled or not to have opinions. it's a freaking message board, of course people have different opinions and may dislike stuff. isn't that assumed by default?

but too much of something is too much. and wallow in negativity in a place that is dedicated (and run by) something or someone that you're supposed to like just seems quite pointless.

also, i love how the moderation team often comes out to protect those who add to that mood, but in a case like this, when someone is suggesting that things could be more well balanced, what do the mods do? 'oh it would be boring if everyone said the same things'. that wasn't even the point of the OP in the first place!

biased much? no wonder the board is so unbalanced.

no, budge off, i think he's got a point. I mean, you obviously shouldn't censor your words if that's really what you think, but considering we're supposed to be the biggest muse fans, hanging out on the muse board, the amount of criticism is just a bit surprising.

I think people forget that we're fans of the band, not their managers or advisors, and if you dislike them that much then you should probably find another forum. I know it's all in good fun most of the time, and generally 'constructive' criticism/discussion, but some comments and jokes have been repeated so often that the arguments lose purpose and it brings everybody down.

I used to like feeling good before I came here, but now I feel strange saying that I do. :chuckle:

and banter is a different story all together. :erm:

I a she, by the way, but thanks so much! We are supposed to be the fans afterall. The odd complaint is fine, but seriously, when does ANYONE prasie Muse's work!

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was trying to say! Its great to know there is some support out there.

i dont post much around here because of that either. im not online 24 hours a day, im not spamming the board or posting every 30 seconds. im not really interested in coming here after a day at work to let myself drag down and be all negative about something i like and that gives me joy.

great post. but of course most people are too narrow minded to understand what you're saying i reckon...

it's not a matter of being entitled or not to have opinions. it's a freaking message board, of course people have different opinions and may dislike stuff. isn't that assumed by default?

but too much of something is too much. and wallow in negativity in a place that is dedicated (and run by) something or someone that you're supposed to like just seems quite pointless.

also, i love how the moderation team often comes out to protect those who add to that mood, but in a case like this, when someone is suggesting that things could be more well balanced, what do the mods do? 'oh it would be boring if everyone said the same things'. that wasn't even the point of the OP in the first place!

biased much? no wonder the board is so unbalanced.

Ok, Im trying to thank everyone, but thank you! Positivity 24/7 would drive me nuts, but this constant negativity is making this board depressing! we are fans, after all.

freedom and democracy are forever, and if they die (it will not happen ever).

you know, i love criticism (addressed to myself too). it's always interesting to learn your opponent's negative opinion, analyze it, debate and represent your arguments. it was, it exists and it'll always be.

but honestly, i recognized the critical level had highly increased here for the last time (maybe because i joined .mu only in 2009 and can't judge fairly, maybe i read wrong threads ha) and there was a thing called 'too much'. it's not about your personal taste but an ability to represent your point not in a rude way. there're different categories: fans who politely say they dislike a song and don't bother guys who actually liked it and those who hate it and beat with offensive sarcastic comments when you express your positivity. see the difference? that's what i'm actually worrying about. let's be just tolerant.

I totally agree. This is what I was trying to say, but a lot of people took the black/white approach, and seem to think Im banning all discussion. Critism is good, but we need a tad more love to keep this board interesting, and less intimidating.

If we all had the same opinion it would definitely be boring. If some people got what they wanted the board would basically go like this...

"Muse rock!"

"Yeah I agree! So awesome!"

"I know! :)"

Now imagine that for every single page in every single topic. The board would be dead within a month.

And isnt it rather boring when the only thing we get on here is

'Its a disappointment'

'yeah, predictable setlist, guiing light, feeling good, twilight, what happened to the good old days'

The board may be dying :(

'Its a disappointment'

'yeah, predictable setlist, guiing light, feeling good, twilight, what happened to the good old days'

The board may be dying :(

Why don't you go on Non Muse then?

You can't stop people moaning because that's what they want to do, isn't it praise enough that we have joined the Muse forum?

I have no problem with criticism. In fact, I'd hate to see a forum on music (or any other type of art, sport or politic) where everyone loved everything and questioned nothing. My personality is such that if I don't care for something, I tend to ignore it rather than dwell on it and beat the life out of it. However, I do like to think critically and hear others' criticisms. I don't come here and expect a rah-rah love fest in every thread.

Here's where I get discouraged: When people get so cranked up and so angry over a song, an album, a setlist that they become vitriolic toward other fans. I don't like to have it insinuated that I'm a worthless fool for liking Neutron Star Collision or Starlight. I don't like being told my favorite band is crap in a manner that almost forbids me to disagree. Muse has meant a lot to me over the past five, six years ... their old material and their new. I expect folks to feel differently about different songs. I don't expect, and would rather do without, malice.

I dont come here for a love fest either. I come here to talk about muse. This involves a lot of disagreement and criticism, but it should not be ENTIRELY this way. Thats what Im trying to say.

'Its a disappointment'

yeah, that's the thing. the last place you wanna go these days to be excited about muse is the muse board. you're excited about a song or whatever, come here and it's like... :stunned:

and when you like something they do or praise them, then you're a 'blind fangirl/boy' whose opinion isnt worthy of being respected.

and it's really strange to see people DEFENDING that the board should remain like that, not even open that it could be more balanced. they LIKE the fighting and the disappointment and the negativity - and dont want that to change.

Well a lot of us signed up six years ago, things change :p

I blame the British. Moaning is our favourite hobby.

Oooh. I was going to say that then thought I'd get slagged off. My husband (a Brit) says it's the national pasttime. Brits aren't happy unless they have a good whinge and a cup of tea.

I dont come here for a love fest either. I come here to talk about muse. This involves a lot of disagreement and criticism, but it should not be ENTIRELY this way. Thats what Im trying to say.

I think lately it just seems that way because of this new song. There was a good deal of bashing of the new album when it came out, but I think the majority of people received it favorably. I've learned to keep out of the threads that are dedicated to negativity (ie: the "elephant" thread). The same goes with the "Resistance tour setlist" thread and the "controversial Muse opinions" thread. If I'm not in the mood for a good Muse bashing, I avoid those places. People are just focusing on the piddly stuff right now, like this new song, because there's nothing else going on.

I know that I still love Muse (even though I think the new song is tripe), so the negative opinions don't really affect me and are not going to change my opinion. Then again, I'm a relative n00b and haven't been a fan for 8 years like some of the people on here. If I tire of the constant whining, I leave. But to some extent I enjoy the drama. Maybe I was British in a former life, lol.

*gets popcorn*

Oooh. I was going to say that then thought I'd get slagged off. My husband (a Brit) says it's the national pasttime. Brits aren't happy unless they have a good whinge and a cup of tea.

Or a shag/fag/beer depending on certain situations.

I like Muse, I made an Origin cake the other week and giggled when I saw a picture of Matt pasted on the counter of some trendy shop in Camden. Totes n00b

:rolleyes:

I still think people are confusing negativity with people expressing an opinion about the band that is not sugar-coated with spaff juice but one that they have every right to make.

Archived