Also, you basically ignored the main point of my post.

Because I didn't really understand why you were going off on one. Also, so did you and mine was much shorter :p

I never said I didn't understand why they did it or even that they shouldn't. Just that, personally, I'm not the song's biggest fan and it's unfortunate for me and the countless other fans who are bored to death of it that it's probs gonna stay this way 'til they split up.

Edit: That said, there weren't exactly mass complaints from casuals when it wasn't closing as much during T2L.

Edited by Jobby

I really hope you're talking about T2L tour and not the summer stadiums.

Both. Guitarless Starlight's a naff closer (though I'd still rather see it again than Knights - another for this thread) but it wasn't casual fans complaining about it iirc. Even something new that wasn't even really a hit in Survival went down perfectly fine.

So actually, thinking about, I guess there really isn't any reason why they can't at least rotate closers more often :chuckle:

I have no problems with a band always closing with the same song as long as it's a decent song (which Knights is IMO) that gets a good crowd reaction, and the overall set is good. Of course it is nice to change things up now and then, especially when a band have as many good closing songs as Muse do. But I think there are bigger issues with Muse setlists that should be fixed before worrying about the closer.

I have no problems with a band always closing with the same song as long as it's a decent song (which Knights is IMO) that gets a good crowd reaction, and the overall set is good. Of course it is nice to change things up now and then, especially when a band have as many good closing songs as Muse do. But I think there are bigger issues with Muse setlists that should be fixed before worrying about the closer.

/topic

I went through a phase where I would've murdered to see Muscle Museum but, yeah, I'm weirdly not as fussed anymore. Think the only reason I'd particularly wanna see it nowadays would be to fulfill younger me's dream, I guess.

Still massively keen for HT&ILY and Showbiz though. Bet Showbiz in particular would be fucking rude at a club gig, imagine the crowd reaction.

I went through a phase where I would've murdered to see Muscle Museum but, yeah, I'm weirdly not as fussed anymore. Think the only reason I'd particularly wanna see it nowadays would be to fulfill younger me's dream, I guess.

Still massively keen for HT&ILY and Showbiz though. Bet Showbiz in particular would be fucking rude at a club gig, imagine the crowd reaction.

Actually, it would be awesome to see the song Showbiz live (if Matt can still hit the notes), but I would honestly prefer it with the extended bass and drum intro that was on the album as opposed to just starting with guitar like in most live performances.

I really don't understand your point. It's easily their best-known song to mainstream, it's not nearly as bad as what they could do(like, you know, go back to closing with Starlight or hell, even use Uprising as closer). ''It was overused by 2011'', dude, that's just childish. Knights, as a composition is made for being a closer. If you'd want to see something like TaB closing, well, I see your point, but I think the 20,000 other people would rather see it as the first of 3 songs in encore. I'd rather have Knights closing sets with variety setlists than more of absolute disasters like this

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2016/hartwall-areena-helsinki-finland-5bfe075c.html

And that set is not shit because of Knights.

That set was ironically better than the majority of the US tour...

I've seen Muse 5 times, and KoC closed less than half of those gigs.

No one cares where they see it, as long as they see it. No one's bitching that they saw KoC in the beginning or middle of a set instead of closing it... That's absurd.

And yes, absolutely, MWAH needs to fuck off. It's well worn out it's welcome, and it's another glaring waste of time when the band claims they can't play more songs.

I've seen Muse 8 times and had KoC as a closer on all but two - the 2013 gigs being the odd ones out. I still enjoy it, and to some degree, I still enjoy Man with a Harmonica as an opener. But as Harmonica has been the KoC prelude for almost 9 years, surely there's a real lack of imagination in keeping it around.

Honestly I preferred guitarless Starlight as a closer over Knights.

I got the idea why the band had the idea of using Starlight as a closer, as a mid-tempo singalong to end the night is not the absolute worst idea, is certainly a different example, and the song is one of Muse's big songs, but compared with Survival or Knights, it felt oddly anti-climactic, and Matt jumping around instead of guitar-playing just looked a bit odd.

Those stadium gigs would've been so much better if they switched the two encores and ended on Uns, PiB and Survival. That'd have been a great finale.

Yeah that could've worked, although I did think Undisclosed Desires into Unsustainable worked.

Maybe have UD, Unsustainable, Uprising and Startits,, then IS, PiB and Survival as the finale?

I can understand their playing their biggest hit as a closer, and I don't really mind. It just felt weird the first time because I wasn't expecting them to close with Starlight so I had this "huh? Is that it?" moment.

Starlight is their biggest hit? :stunned:

I mean, I always assumed it was Uprising, which I would honestly prefer as a closer over Starlight.