Messaging from a toilet on New Years, lol. Anyway, Muse doing electronic driven pop is not experimental, since they had already done it. They had already written songs in 5/4, and they had already done symphonic rock. Dabbling with different genres was literally what they had done for the past 2 albums.

So what they did was to try on brostep and a choir. That's literally the level of experimenting that pretty much every band does between albums.

Soldier's Poem is 3/4 iirc, just to give that a shout. Aren't some parts of Assassin in like 6/4 or something as well, or am I making that up?

The fact that a guy who was like..22 thought it was cool to draw veins on his arms is cringey.

Because his mum wouldn't let him get it tattooed as well :LOL: Christ, she dodged him a bullet on that one.

Let's be honest though, Matt's cringe-factor has never gone away (and never will). It's one of his more endearing traits imo :chuckle:

Aren't some parts of Assassin in like 6/4 or something as well, or am I making that up?

Hmm, I just listened back to Assassin (both the original and the extended edit) and I can't hear what you're thinking of. :stunned: Maybe you're referring to Hoodoo?

Let's be honest though, Matt's cringe-factor has never gone away (and never will). It's one of his more endearing traits imo :chuckle:

The fact that a guy who was like..22 thought it was cool to draw veins on his arms is cringey.

I think of Matt as less of a "cool guy rocker" type and more of the David Byrne "knows he's a complete nerd and weirdo but does nothing to hide it" type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDTZAlCv4A

Because let's face it: if one of these days, Matt comes out on stage wearing a comically oversized suit like that, would any of you really be surprised?

293c2vl.jpg

Oh wow, I didn't even remember that. :LOL: I mean, I obviously remember the sunglasses, but not the rest. I do remember his puffy Panic Station outfit, though.

That said, the red hair looked nice at times.

I thought it looked good with his red shirt in the Bliss video. I also think that his blue and blonde hair looked alright, too. I'm glad he's stopped dying it, though, as I've heard that excessive dying can cause your hair to fall out (though I'm not sure how accurate that is).

Those aren't as uncommon as 5/4, though.

Uncommon =/= Experimental

Take Five and Mars, The Bringer Of War are hardly 'experimental' pieces, but both in 5/4. I've done stuff in 5/4, still just as shite as the stuff in 4/4.

Musicians will tend to experiment far more than their released output.

Edited by haze015

Yeah all of those ^ have different metres throughout

Micro Cuts has some 6/4 bars in the verses

Hoodoo uses para-metres

Assassin uses 2/4 in the verses in some bars but you can argue it just remains in 4/4 if you really wanted to

Butterflies has some 3/4 and I think 2 or 3 7/8 bars in the piano solo I can't really remember but I think the lead sheet I used for an arrangement had that

Unnatural Selection uses a swung 6/8 in the bridge

This is a last page topic but an album that is experimental only in reference to the band and not in a wider musical context can still be considered an experimental album.
Yeah but like I said, most of what they did on T2L they had already done before. And simply bringing in some dub step elements and a choir isn't enough to be considered wildly experimental imo.

This is a last page topic but an album that is experimental only in reference to the band and not in a wider musical context can still be considered an experimental album.

Any album could be considered experimental if only considered within the context of those musicians.

However reinvention is probably more appropriate than experimental in this particular context.

T2L is the professionally-made, full album equivalent of when I made an abominable instrumental funk track for a laugh when I was like 15. It's not experimenting, it's messing about.

(imo)

Also, Matt needs to bring back the doubleneck and the keytar on Resistance and Undisclosed Desires, respectively. (Especially the doubleneck.)

That would involve keeping UD around, which gets a no from me (and fortunately seems to finally be getting edged out by the band as well).

Obvs I'd rather Resistance was bunked off as well but it's super popular with other people so I'm relatively fine with that and thankful it's not an out-and-out staple as it is. Also, I probably prefer it without the double-neck 'cause that came in tandem with an extra 1/2-minute intro iirc and I'd rather just get the song over with.