• 2 weeks later...
To be fair, if we're talking 'recent Muse history', there's not a whole lot to go against it :chuckle:

Fair enough. I mean, a lot of them are just Matt fiddling around on his guitar's effects pad or pedal (Invincible, Supermassive Black Hole), or him just repeating the same eight-bar phrase over and over again (Uprising), or him just playing an ascending scale (Psycho). Then again, this solo in particular reminds me of a lot of great classic rock solos--I'm thinking AC/DC in particular--so it gets a thumbs-up from me.

Yeah you're getting worse and worse at being controversial :LOL:

Hey, have you seen what happens when you get too controversial? You have an entire website turning against you and collectively calling you racist. I would rather this discussion not get into that territory. :p

I think it works a lot better in a live environment, or at least the one I saw it at.

It does. Seen it live twice. Tbh, it works the best at festivals, was kinda meh to alright in an arena, but in a summer evening in a festival it's actually really good. A more of a chill moment before the finale of the set.

It does. Seen it live twice. Tbh, it works the best at festivals, was kinda meh to alright in an arena, but in a summer evening in a festival it's actually really good. A more of a chill moment before the finale of the set.

Yeah, I saw it at Washington, D.C.'s Verizon Center, where the setlist was kind of all over the place*, but it seemed to fit before we got KoC.

*Not that I mind this, of course. It meant that we got Citizen Erased out of it.

Fair enough. I mean, a lot of them are just Matt fiddling around on his guitar's effects pad or pedal (Invincible, Supermassive Black Hole), or him just repeating the same eight-bar phrase over and over again (Uprising), or him just playing an ascending scale (Psycho). Then again, this solo in particular reminds me of a lot of great classic rock solos--I'm thinking AC/DC in particular--so it gets a thumbs-up from me.

Do you consider Invincible and Supermassive Black Hole recent? They're almost eleven years old.

Hey, have you seen what happens when you get too controversial? You have an entire website turning against you and collectively calling you racist. I would rather this discussion not get into that territory. :p
Being controversial doesn't have to mean "Act like Trump" though.

Do you consider Invincible and Supermassive Black Hole recent? They're almost eleven years old.

Hmm, fair enough. I guess I was just assuming that "recent" meant "everything after Absolution." Can't believe it's been that long!

Being controversial doesn't have to mean "Act like Trump" though.

I dunno, he's pretty controversial. Also, context is necessary to understand where I'm coming from, but I don't want to take up any of your time.

a lot of them are just Matt fiddling around on his guitar's effects pad or pedal (Invincible, Supermassive Black Hole)

Like Tjet said, I wouldn't really call anything from '06 recent but Reapers is way worse in the 'fiddling around with pedals' aspect than Invin :chuckle: Supermassive's is absolute guff on-record though, you're not wrong there. I mean, it's pretty much non-existent tbf. Really weird choice considering how cool some of the live versions he did for it were.

Defector's still got my shout for best recent solo though. Followed by...idk, maybe US and Animals? They haven't had a whole lot of great ones since TR.

I love Mercy and it was one of the only high points of the Philly gig for me.

Super average on-record but it was a surprise highlight at most gigs I went to. Defo one of the best pop songs I've seen them do.

Edited by Jobby

I dunno, he's pretty controversial. Also, context is necessary to understand where I'm coming from, but I don't want to take up any of your time.

I actually went out of my way to find out what you were talking about and...yeah. You can see my very harsh reply in the appropriate thread.

But hey, at least we can rest easy knowing that calling Stockholm Syndrome amazing will never be controversial.

I actually went out of my way to find out what you were talking about and...yeah. You can see my very harsh reply in the appropriate thread.

But hey, at least we can rest easy knowing that calling Stockholm Syndrome amazing will never be controversial.

On this forum anyway.

In other potentially controversial chit chat, call me naive but I think Reapers has the greatest guitar solo of the 21st century so far. I've yet to hear one more fun, more musical, and more emotive this millennia than it.

Are you kidding? Stockholm Syndrome su--can't even finish that sentence with a straight face. I love SS. :D

In other potentially controversial chit chat, call me naive but I think Reapers has the greatest guitar solo of the 21st century so far. I've yet to hear one more fun, more musical, and more emotive this millennia than it.

It kind of does. As I said earlier, it has a very old school rock vibe.

Though now that I think of it, maybe the AC/DC comparison isn't so unfounded. I mean, Mutt Lange produced both Drones and AC/DC's Highway to Hell and Back in Black.

'potentially controversial'? :LOL:

I mean, there's a hell of a lot of guitar solos to consider in 17 years (and I don't even tend to get much out of them) so I doubt I could even name one as the best but Reapers ain't even my favourite Muse one.

Though now that I think of it, maybe the AC/DC comparison isn't so unfounded. I mean, Mutt Lange produced both Drones and AC/DC's Highway to Hell and Back in Black.

That's pretty much why they went with him, been pretty well-documented tmk :chuckle:

Edited by Jobby

Defector's still got my shout for best recent solo though. Followed by...idk, maybe US and Animals? They haven't had a whole lot of great ones since TR.

Completely forgot about Defector, remember hearing it on 6 Music for the first time and when it came to the solo... the feels