My list for albums from best to worst:

Origin

BHaR

T2L

Abso

Showbiz

TR

Drones

Yes, I do think Drones is their worst album, even if I often defend some of the songs more than, uh, certain other members. I just think it suffers from the same as TR, but to a massively bigger extent: It's booooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiingggggg.

Oh yeah and T2L is better than Abso, come at me!

You had one job

The fact that you included COD in that means I have nothing to explain.

City of Delusion is better in every way imaginable.

Knew another bout of CoD-bashing would produce some responses :p

Here we go then.

CoD's not a bad song, but it seems to be treated as if it's close to top-tier on here a lot of the time, and I don't get it at all. The bit before the second verse is great (especially the guitar crunches) but the chord progression isn't that interesting, and it's repeated so much - even through the solo. I know this is true of MoTP too (for example), but Map's guitar parts and harmonies are far more interesting than CoD's.

The lyrics also aren't that great considering how forthrightly they are delivered, especially in the chorus. It's not catchy, it's not compelling - someone once suggested "just-i-fy my reea-sons" was one of the big dramatic moments within Muse's works, but those lyrics are hardly gripping, are they? - and it's so immediately overblown. Chucking all the drama with the strings and big vocals into the first chorus means there's no real sense of climax at the end, and you know exactly what's coming when it arrives.

I think it had the potential to be a much better piece than it is (like Exo, Assassin etc.). They could have done more with the trumpet, instead of have it noodle over the same melody we've already heard 3 times. They could have added a bridge with a different melody, and pared down the first chorus, I dunno. As it stands it's not more than a 7 or 8 out of 10 though.

Edited by frozenbanana

Knights is good, but the studio version pales in comparison to the live one. And no, that's not the case with most Muss songs.

Are Muss a new band, by chance?

Nah, just joking... ;)

First of all: long time no see, everybody! It's good to be here again after months. :)

Regarding Knights... I deem it a bombastic "kitsch-y" masterpiece, but I agree that its live versions sound better than the studio one, overall (minus the Queen-like choirs, I'm a sucker for them :awesome:). If the rhythmic section in the studio version had a little beefier production, it would have pratically been on par with the live performances.

It might well be to the song's detriment that its become ol' faithful as a closer since its release. On The 2nd Law/Unsustainable tour I thought it made for an interesting and fairly refreshing change to have it early before the piano songs, even if something like Butterflies & Hurricanes or Citizen Erased is a better transition song from the first part of the gig to piano. Certainly, at SBE, when it was in the first 7 songs, I thought it was fucking manic, which may make it my favourite performance. So it was a bit unimaginative that for Drones it reverted to show ender.

Its also probably goes without saying, but Man with a Harmonica is getting overused too. I loved it when it first came out and it sounded great on The Resistance tour, but its overdue that they had an alternative KoC intro, or indeed, just went straight in.

Man with a Harmonica is getting overused too

'Getting' overused? It was at that point by the end of 2011! :chuckle:

Unfortunately, them reverting back to Knights this tour makes me think that we're stuck with it now. I just can't see them being adventurous enough to try out something new for anything more than maybe the odd gig in such an important slot, 'specially with them (or Matt) seemingly becoming more and more conscious of crowd reactions.

Bummer, 'cos it really kills the gigs a bit for me and I usually use it to get out early.

'Getting' overused? It was at that point by the end of 2011! :chuckle:

Unfortunately, them reverting back to Knights this tour makes me think that we're stuck with it now. I just can't see them being adventurous enough to try out something new for anything more than maybe the odd gig in such an important slot, 'specially with them (or Matt) seemingly becoming more and more conscious of crowd reactions.

Bummer, 'cos it really kills the gigs a bit for me and I usually use it to get out early.

I really don't understand your point. It's easily their best-known song to mainstream, it's not nearly as bad as what they could do(like, you know, go back to closing with Starlight or hell, even use Uprising as closer). ''It was overused by 2011'', dude, that's just childish. Knights, as a composition is made for being a closer. If you'd want to see something like TaB closing, well, I see your point, but I think the 20,000 other people would rather see it as the first of 3 songs in encore. I'd rather have Knights closing sets with variety setlists than more of absolute disasters like this

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2016/hartwall-areena-helsinki-finland-5bfe075c.html

And that set is not shit because of Knights.

How is saying an intro was starting to wear out it's welcome after 3(?) years childish? :LOL:

You have to understand they can't do _everything_ like HC fans want, right? Knights is a completely fine closer and besides, most bands have a standard for closer song. It's not like the song they use as closer is the thing that's worst about their set.

Also, you basically ignored the main point of my post.