Starlight is fine, Uprising is a tragedy. So far I've gotten 2x Matt fondling his tits and 1x Matt staring at his feet so hard in one spot I thought he was going to fall over.

:LOL: You don't like when it looks like Matt's about to start a rap session? It made me laugh so much! Same with New Kind of Kick-- made me cringe at first when it came on, but it livened up the show's mood. Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. Good thing the lights weren't on, because I was blushing so much-- so much guilt! :$

Don’t know which thread to put this is in but... what other bands do you guys listen to?? I’ve been a Muse fan for years now. Then started listening to Arctic Monkeys (shock) then a bit of Coldplay (even more shock) so point me in the right direction for some new tunes! 🤘Muse will always be my no1 though ;)

Don’t know which thread to put this is in but... what other bands do you guys listen to?? I’ve been a Muse fan for years now. Then started listening to Arctic Monkeys (shock) then a bit of Coldplay (even more shock) so point me in the right direction for some new tunes!

There's the "Other Music" subsection in the "Off-Topic" section of this forum for that.

Starlight is fine, Uprising is a tragedy. So far I've gotten 2x Matt fondling his tits and 1x Matt staring at his feet so hard in one spot I thought he was going to fall over.

I don't even care if he plays it, just sling a guitar on him and have him at least walk around.

Maybe there was an ugly face in the audience that scared him... :chuckle:

As for the idea from the last paragraph: no, please, that would be just sad. What's the point of wearing a guitar if you don't have to play it?

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

• 2 weeks later...

SBE was by a mile the best gig I’ve ever been to and one of the best nights of my life full stop

BUT

...the more I think about it, the more Knights closing taints my memory of it. When I remember that, it becomes frustratingly imperfect. Hysteria and PIB are hits but, scattered amongst the rarities, they were fine. MWAH + Knights felt abnormally...normal, in the context of that one show. Just wish I’d been able to get to Matt as he came in to suggest closing with Bliss like I planned but they stopped letting people out of our queue and it was hard enough just getting my BH&R cover to Chris. Even then though - SS, New Born, Futurism, Assassin, Dead Star, Showbiz...hell, even PIB would’ve done in that slot, just something different y’know?

Knights closing gives you a good opportunity to beat traffic, though. People were flooding out during MWAH last time I saw them.

I do normally leave during it just to beat the crowd exit rush (can’t drive lmao) but it felt wrong when I thought about it at SBE, even though I felt super close to passing out by that point. Plus I think I told someone on here beforehand that “even I” wouldn’t skip Knights if the set lived up to potential and apparently I cared about holding to that for some reason :chuckle:

Seeing a few people going over the barrier was vvv tempting though.

A lot of people have work or school the next day, and even if not, sitting in traffic for an hour is a downer.

+ if you’ve seen Knights once, you’ve seen it 1000 times so you’re not really missing anything by skipping the end of a Muse gig

Yeah I had to bail at SBE before the second encore and I hated missing the end. Mind you, I bloody love Knights and think it's a perfect closer.

You missed Futurism?? :eek:

A lot of people have work or school the next day, and even if not, sitting in traffic for an hour is a downer.

Funny thing: I managed to stay till the end of the May 14th gig in Milan and go home in a short time to get some rest for the following day, when I had my three-year degree party with my family (I had officially graduated nine days before).

I actually really enjoy Madness live these days.

I remember it being a bit of a dour moment back when I saw it in 2013 but at Reading while it wasn't a "highlight" it was still enjoyable and watching back videos of it played recently, the second half especially sounds so much better.

• 5 months later...
Flow: Drones

Production: Absolution

Mixing/mastering: Drones

Lyrics: Absolution

Song-wise, Drones doesn’t hit the level of Stockholm, Butterflies, Apocalypse, RBS or Endlessly but it’s more consistently solid/enjoyable imo. It only really falls apart for the last two tracks and has a wee wobble with Mercy. Abso’s wobbles are frequent, just more in terms of mood/tone than quality. Individually, S4A, FAWY and Blackout are decent songs but, in the context of the album, they bring the momentum to a sudden dead stop and jerk you in another direction so I can’t enjoy them. Then you’ve obvs got a few meh tracks filling out the rest of the album like TOADA, TSP and TIRO.

If Abso flowed, like at all, and the band had made better choices w/ what did and didn’t make the cut, it’d probs wipe the floor with Drones.

Edit: it’d still probs be a way off BH&R and OOS for me though

:phu:

• 6 months later...

It further alienated fans that were already getting frustrated with the band refusing to play older songs, let alone rarities, giving them a glimpse through crappy cell phone footage of the band doing exactly what they've wanted them to do, while giving them no hope of seeing any of it for themselves.

Basically, for no reason and with no warning, they put on the show that was the "hardcore" fans' wet dream and then persistently refused to play even a couple (or one, for the most part) of those songs outside some random ass gig.

Then they promised to release video footage, which may have been better than nothing... and then didn't.

That was my clickbait title but it had nothing to do with the footage and actually blaming a single show is dumb but here we go.

In the years building up to the show, starting with the 2011 festivals and Moscow/Ukraine shows, Muse were starting to get the hang of combining "new Muse" with the fan favorites. Some deepish cuts thrown in and good rotations like the famed piano section in the 2nd Law arena tour. Stadiums for that tour also saw some great variety of music. Even with some odd choices it seemed both the inner and casual fans were leaving happy.

Now I could pin this back to 2013's SBE with Dead Star but Dead Star made its way to the stadiums a few times. Zepp though was the big turning point. They played a show that at the time was hard to believe could ever happen. A small intimate show for the fans with all the deep cuts in stark contrast to the standard shows at Summer Sonic, and everyone loved it including the band.

Since then things have changed. Instead of every show being a balance of pleasing the range of fans we get "special" shows for the biggest fanatics and the rest are made standard to please the average goer. Notice we don't even really have the "second night syndrome" to the level it was on T2L. It's just "a few very special shows" syndrome where all the non-standard stuff is concentrated.

There's now a really big inequality with all the big fans holding out for small venue shows and little care for the big ones. And the band's comments on the upcoming tour hint that they're only going to carry on with that divide.

I said it's dumb to blame Zepp because there could be plenty of other reasons behind this but on a timeline I consider that the turning point.