Is it controversial to say I almost never listen to 'Animals' because I do not like it's lyrics?

From a personal point of view, I do not like the comparison of, I guess he means carnivorous animals, to people in the world who do acts of greed and lack of empathy, or what you could call "evil" or "wrong" things. "Don't take anything less" and such, animals take just what they need, don't take pleasure on other animals suffering, and don't have sentiments of greed. Idk, it just vexates me.

All of this my very personal opinion though

:p

Is it controversial to say I almost never listen to 'Animals' because I do not like it's lyrics?

From a personal point of view, I do not like the comparison of, I guess he means carnivorous animals, to people in the world who do acts of greed and lack of empathy, or what you could call "evil" or "wrong" things. "Don't take anything less" and such, animals take just what they need, don't take pleasure on other animals suffering, and don't have sentiments of greed. Idk, it just vexates me.

All of this my very personal opinion though

:p

I think you're looking at it wrong. To me, it's not cruelty or deliberately causing suffering- it's efficiency and ruthlessness, to the point that some would consider it inhuman.

Yeah it's about what separates us from animals (according to some), things like moral codes and ideas of "right and wrong". When you take that away, all that's left are animals, who don't care who they hurt in order to "survive".

I think you're looking at it wrong. To me, it's not cruelty or deliberately causing suffering- it's efficiency and ruthlessness, to the point that some would consider it inhuman.

Mmmm, you have a point; from that stance, the song would not be about blaming these people with power for being deliberately "bad" or enjoying suffering of others, but about the lack of empathy, and compassion, not being kind enough. Not about being "bad", (as I put it) but about not being "good".

Maybe I have some kind of romanticized idea that animals are noble by nature :unsure:

Yet, it is musically kind of gloomy, which may have made me see it the way I did.

Thanks for you input Altec, Sippe (:

IBTY looks like it might have been fun live, but I still find it incredibly annoying on the album, and the French part ruins it entirely.

Actually, a lot of TR songs were like that for me; decent, or not so bad, but one terrible part that sticks in my head and wrecks it for me.

And the type of people Animals is about know what they are doing to others and the economy, and just plain don't care as long as it benefits them. They're not blind to it, and a lot of them have outright admitted to what they knowingly did to other people.

Animals lack the cognitive ability to make that sort of connection, but the metaphor doesn't bother me that much.

I just started to find the song a bit bland after repeated listens. But, again, AMAZING live.

And the type of people Animals is about know what they are doing to others and the economy, and just plain don't care as long as it benefits them. They're not blind to it, and a lot of them have outright admitted to what they knowingly did to other people.

Animals lack the cognitive ability to make that sort of connection, but the metaphor doesn't bother me that much.

I just started to find the song a bit bland after repeated listens. But, again, AMAZING live.

I'm the opposite. I think it's boring live. I've said this too many times in this thread, so I may as well say it again, but the first 3/4 are kinda bland and the people talking over it ruin it.

I'm the opposite. I think it's boring live. I've said this too many times in this thread, so I may as well say it again, but the first 3/4 are kinda bland and the people talking over it ruin it.

The first performance of it was miles better than the studio version, and probably every other live performance.

Agreed. Hey you've been to St. Goarshausen too, how was it for you? I loved the location so much but couldn't be more disappointed with the set...

The first performance of it was miles better than the studio version, and probably every other live performance.

I like the live recordings of it, but I don't really enjoy the experience of it live. That's kinda weird I guess.

Agreed. Hey you've been to St. Goarshausen too, how was it for you? I loved the location so much but couldn't be more disappointed with the set...

The location was stunning. I've been there a few times before, so I thought it would be nice to do some hiking and see Muse as a reward. The set was awful though, and people kept trying to get past me to get beer and stuff instead of attempting to enjoy the concert. In some ways the highlight was the bus back down to the ferry. Some lovely person gave me a post gig apple haha.

I like the live recordings of it, but I don't really enjoy the experience of it live. That's kinda weird I guess.
Nah not really. It's like UD (people are gonna hate me for that comparison...but then again, controversial opinions), it's nice to listen to at home when you're comfortable. Less so when you've been standing in a crowd for an hour. I mean it might be as nice as when you're at home but at live gigs you need more than that.

That being said, I haven't seen Animals live (and we all know why).

I do agree that the first performance is the best though. But I think that might be because I don't connect that performance to the album which came later. I know this opinion has been ridiculed by I honestly think that the album lowered my opinion of most of the songs, simply because I don't like the album as a whole. Might be because the production is a bit too sleek too.

I do agree that the first performance is the best though. But I think that might be because I don't connect that performance to the album which came later. I know this opinion has been ridiculed by I honestly think that the album lowered my opinion of most of the songs, simply because I don't like the album as a whole. Might be because the production is a bit too sleek too.

Missed this part but with you on the sleek production. Makes the songs feel too clean, Panic Station mainly. The mix from a technical standpoint though is probably their best. Its sounded nice on everything I've played the album through.

UD became a lot better this tour imo (at least in videos).

I do agree, I think there's more fun in there (crowd walk helps). But still doesn't interest me too much.

Missed this part but with you on the sleek production. Makes the songs feel too clean, Panic Station mainly. The mix from a technical standpoint though is probably their best. Its sounded nice on everything I've played the album through.

Yep. The mix is great, The production is just a bit too clean, like you say. Some songs would have needed a rougher treatment.

I wish I hadn't listened to the ewerk gig before hand, because yes, the album did feel a little too polished (I think is the word I'm looking for) and I was immediately a bit let down with the studio versions.

I love Follow Me (probably controversial in itself) but the album version was a big let down after even hearing the low quality live one.

The initial "follow" in the chorus/drop is way to smooth and controlled on the album, for example, and takes away the impact it should have.

I love Follow Me (probably controversial in itself) but the album version was a big let down after even hearing the low quality live one.

The initial "follow" in the chorus/drop is way to smooth and controlled on the album, for example, and takes away the impact it should have.

I agree with this, Follow Me was one of the high points when I saw them live this tour, not just because of the lasers etc, but it sounds massive, on the album it's way too smooth and way too polished. Favourite performances of it were definitely the videos of matt playing the guitar during though, especially at taratata

The location was stunning. I've been there a few times before, so I thought it would be nice to do some hiking and see Muse as a reward. The set was awful though, and people kept trying to get past me to get beer and stuff instead of attempting to enjoy the concert. In some ways the highlight was the bus back down to the ferry. Some lovely person gave me a post gig apple haha.
Don't even get me started on the general crowd, there was an older guy with his son next to me who just came forward to the barrier even though he hadn't waited for the entire day like everyone else! He said they just wanted to take a peek at Kate Hudson... It was physically impossible to not facepalm at the affront that was this sentiment, so for the rest of the gig I had a man next to me who thought I was a condescending bitch. At some point he also pointed at the silver amp, wondering what kind of instrument that may be, so I said "looks like an amp, eh?". He then asked: "How do you know these things?" :chuckle: He was also genuinely surprised everyone at the front knew every word to every song and at some point just left because the dancing / jumping went extreme. What a muppet...

Why am I telling you this? Anyway, the location WAS stunning, it was a beautiful day. Muse could've outdone themselves that night with a few more and better songs. Such a shame.

Don't even get me started on the general crowd, there was an older guy with his son next to me who just came forward to the barrier even though he hadn't waited for the entire day like everyone else! He said they just wanted to take a peek at Kate Hudson... It was physically impossible to not facepalm at the affront that was this sentiment, so for the rest of the gig I had a man next to me who thought I was a condescending bitch. At some point he also pointed at the silver amp, wondering what kind of instrument that may be, so I said "looks like an amp, eh?". He then asked: "How do you know these things?" :chuckle: He was also genuinely surprised everyone at the front knew every word to every song and at some point just left because the dancing / jumping went extreme. What a muppet...

Why am I telling you this? Anyway, the location WAS stunning, it was a beautiful day. Muse could've outdone themselves that night with a few more and better songs. Such a shame.

Haaaa. Your experience sounds much worse than mine (sorry!). Maybe he passed me at some point to get some beer. I was there with my brother, and we managed to enlist some people into a sort of barrier blocking the gaps that people we getting through. Gandalf would've been pretty proud. They were subsequently paid with the Musos we caught.

It was indeed a nice day, super hot and everything. It did take a turn for the worse though. I heard an ill omen; Guiding Light being soundchecked. I almost wouldn't have minded the shorter setlists, had we not been shafted with the rotations too. I seem to remember the performance of Stockholm being pretty good though, so it wasn't all bad.