Yep. The mix is great, The production is just a bit too clean, like you say. Some songs would have needed a rougher treatment.

Yeah. They don't need a particularly raw treatment (I doubt that, say, Kurt Ballou would get the best results out of Muse), but less gloss would be good.

Edited by Alec.

Haaaa. Your experience sounds much worse than mine (sorry!). Maybe he passed me at some point to get some beer. I was there with my brother, and we managed to enlist some people into a sort of barrier blocking the gaps that people we getting through. Gandalf would've been pretty proud. They were subsequently paid with the Musos we caught.

It was indeed a nice day, super hot and everything. It did take a turn for the worse though. I heard an ill omen; Guiding Light being soundchecked. I almost wouldn't have minded the shorter setlists, had we not been shafted with the rotations too. I seem to remember the performance of Stockholm being pretty good though, so it wasn't all bad.

Stockholm was the highlight of that night for sure, don't think I've ever screamed louder in my life! And yes I heard the soundcheck too while my upper body was being grilled... and was hoping it could maybe be a bad hallucination due to the sunstroke.

I read the first sentence and knew you were gonna tell the story about the kid and the amp. :LOL:
:LOL:

Stockholm was the highlight of that night for sure, don't think I've ever screamed louder in my life! And yes I heard the soundcheck too while my upper body was being grilled... and was hoping it could maybe be a bad hallucination due to the sunstroke.

Stockholm was definitely the highlight of the Wembley gig I went to and Reading. This probably isn't controversial, but I wish Matt would do the screams from the studio version live.

Edited by Alec.

Stockholm was definitely the highlight of the Wembley gig I went to and Reading. This probably isn't controversial, but I wish Matt would do the screams from the studio version live.

The 'I wish I could bits' sound like an afterthought in the recent versions.

Maybe this is controversial though. I'd really hate it if Matt started doing more screams like he does in the early live songs.

Thought it does contradict my point a fair bit, I don't actually mind it there. I just woudn't want an album of that, which is (maybe) my mistaken understanding of what people mean when they say they want Matt to scream a bit more.

Maybe this is controversial though. I'd really hate it if Matt started doing more screams like he does in the early live songs.

Thought it does contradict my point a fair bit, I don't actually mind it there. I just woudn't want an album of that, which is (maybe) my mistaken understanding of what people mean when they say they want Matt to scream a bit more.

Yeah, it falls a bit flat the way he currently does it.

I'd like Matt to develop some good harsh vocals. Something along the lines of Jacob Bannon's more intelligible screaming or Chino Moreno's.

I think some screaming like that live is exciting, but no, I wouldn't want it on the album.

I was initially attracted to Muse due to Matt's vocals, and they continue to be one of the things I enjoy the most; really not looking for him to change that.

Stockholm is a perfect example of how I want Matt to utilize screaming.

Stockholm is a perfect example of how I want Matt to utilize screaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1HpPJ6a9hI

Firstly I love the piercing falsetto he does at 3:48. He doesn't have anywhere near that power nowadays.

Secondly he does a crescendo scream at 3:20 which is hard to do, really cool, and adds just the right amount of grit when done right. He does it way better here at 2:04:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8jjfrp6jrU

Other versions of Showbiz were ruined for me after hearing that :LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1HpPJ6a9hI

Firstly I love the piercing falsetto he does at 3:48. He doesn't have anywhere near that power nowadays.

Secondly he does a crescendo scream at 3:20 which is hard to do, really cool, and adds just the right amount of grit when done right. He does it way better here at 2:04:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8jjfrp6jrU

Other versions of Showbiz were ruined for me after hearing that :LOL:

Yep, love both of those.

I don't mind the falsetto in MM at 3.48, but I don't like the death squeals at 3.20 in MM, or the one in Showbiz. I find it pretty grating, and as cliché as it is, Matt's voice is one of the reasons I got into Muse. I think if he were to start screaming left, right and centre, then I guess it wouldn't really sound like Muse anymore. I dunno.

I don't mind the falsetto in MM at 3.48, but I don't like the death squeals at 3.20 in MM, or the one in Showbiz. I find it pretty grating, and as cliché as it is, Matt's voice is one of the reasons I got into Muse. I think if he were to start screaming left, right and centre, then I guess it wouldn't really sound like Muse anymore. I dunno.

"don't mind" the falsetto. Bro, that's like the best Bellamy falsetto ever.

But...Matt DID scream left, right and centre for like the first 5 years of their career. It wouldn't exactly be something new. I mean....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMco80UL9DY

"don't mind" the falsetto. Bro, that's like the best Bellamy falsetto ever.

But...Matt DID scream left, right and centre for like the first 5 years of their career. It wouldn't exactly be something new. I mean....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMco80UL9DY

I've seen the videos being used to seriously undermine paragons of the board such as SpiralStatic1, so it's somewhat comforting to know that I'm in illustrious company.

That video does actually help me clarify my opinion though. I'd like to draw a distinction between the falsetto screams, and the other sort of scream. The one at 3:08 is a perfect example of what I don't like, and what I don't want more of. The falsetto shrieks can stay.

No one is mentioning any specific sort of scream though. People just want something that goes better with heavier material than the lame "I wish I co-".

Yeah, fair point. 3:08 is what I associate, probably wrongly, with scream and it's just that, that I don't want. I don't think anybody could dispute the shitness of 'I wish I co...'

Tbh the only thing that makes 3.08 sound bad imo are the drops at the end of the screams which make the whole thing sound tacky and out of place. If he just stopped screaming, or held it for a bit longer, it would sound just fine.