Which Deftones riffs did they do?

(In addition to the usual "Headup" after "New Born"):

Just before Unnatural Selection, they did the riff from "Bored" and then from "My Own Summer." Took me a second to realize what was happening. "My Own Summer" was well done, even though they didn't quite know how to end it. :LOL:

(Not mine):

As far as the Moreno in the crowd thing, I read that on the website of the local paper (Sac Bee), so they probably got it wrong. Either case, the crowd appreciated the homage.

I feel badly for everyone who went to this show and expected more. I know how you feel (thank you friday wembley's setlist o'cheese). No matter whether it was the band's fault or the arena's, it just plain sucks that you guys got a sucky deal.

I hoped for more (like Bliss or CE or Unintended, even just NSC cos it's new. silly me) but expected fair. I don't think I expected more.

Hope to hear a more official version of what happened. One good thing though - not suffering from PMS this time, not like after Oakland wondering when to ever have that awesome experience again.

Edit: I vent now, but when the next NorCal show is announced, I'll be right there going through pre-sale hell again!

Trying to remember high points:

.. Yes - Lots of balloons for the small place. 2 ended up on stage and Matt shoved one to Dom and kicked one to the pit.

.. Dom talked relatively a lot. About the Deftones bit, said the crowd is very friendly, something else.. He has a soothing voice.

.. Matt randomly said What's up somewhere in the show

... Riffs and an as-good-as-it-gets rendition of US

the arena couldn't be so small it affected their performance. the arena they played in sweden last year is only 8ooo maybe less and that show kicked ass, better than wembley imo (went first night though) and the gig in 2007

Zenith in Limoges only holds around 5000 people and they brought the towers.

This whole "arena size" excuse is a crock of shit.

My fiance and I were front row center this time around, and it was her first Muse gig. She was absolutely ECSTATIC, she didn't even notice the short setlist or any of those things. One thing I noticed that was different to my 10 other gigs, was that the crowd did not push you into the barricade. Maybe three moments max during the entire gig. I don't think Matt went to the side catwalks because frankly, there were no people in the seats near them. Aside from side seating.

I spoke with Lee after the gig (toured with them during Black Holes), my personal friend and one of Matt's friends. I mentioned that it seemed like they didn't really want to be there. A late start (camera and security said on at 8:40), the 10:30 ending, and the short set. Lee told me Matt in fact didn't want to be there. They had flown in right before the gig, and Matt was immediately flying back out to Los Angeles to spend time with the girlfriend (Kate Hudson). So I'm not sure it was entirely Arco's fault...

All things considered though, I really enjoyed the gig. Not one of my favorites, but it is still always a great time. A muse show is still a muse show, it's only a disappointment for the most part if you KNOW what they have been playing. The lack of a mosh pit pushing me into the railing WAS a nice change. To be able to enjoy the music without having to fight for air.

My fiance and I were front row center this time around, and it was her first Muse gig. She was absolutely ECSTATIC, she didn't even notice the short setlist or any of those things. One thing I noticed that was different to my 10 other gigs, was that the crowd did not push you into the barricade. Maybe three moments max during the entire gig. I don't think Matt went to the side catwalks because frankly, there were no people in the seats near them. Aside from side seating.

I spoke with Lee after the gig (toured with them during Black Holes), my personal friend and one of Matt's friends. I mentioned that it seemed like they didn't really want to be there. A late start (camera and security said on at 8:40), the 10:30 ending, and the short set. Lee told me Matt in fact didn't want to be there. They had flown in right before the gig, and Matt was immediately flying back out to Los Angeles to spend time with the girlfriend (Kate Hudson). So I'm not sure it was entirely Arco's fault...

All things considered though, I really enjoyed the gig. Not one of my favorites, but it is still always a great time. A muse show is still a muse show, it's only a disappointment for the most part if you KNOW what they have been playing. The lack of a mosh pit pushing me into the railing WAS a nice change. To be able to enjoy the music without having to fight for air.

God... not wanting to be there? You don't give somone who pays for a Big Mac a hamburger.

ChrisAbbott22:

BTW, the acoustics may have been poor due to a lack of proper soundchecks for the venue - all of which are the responsibility of the band and their sound team. The Arco Arena is not to blame for the poor sound, as they are not the ones who control who works the sound for each musician who plays there.

You ask any professional recording engineer that records live music in California and they will tell you Arco Arena was built with no acoustic sense at all. :)

The gig last night was insanely fun, I think it had to do with the fact that it was my first time going GA for Muse. I had seats at the Oakland gig back in April so it was completely different experience for me (have had seats twice in the past). I was bummed that no rarity (CE or Bliss) was played, nor Map or Mk. But I decided I was going to have fun no matter what setlist we got. Especially since it was the only gig that I was going to attend for this fall tour.

I was pleasantly surprised nobody tried pushing me off barrier or squished me, I definitely had a lot of space to move and jump. The left side was pretty mellow, didn't see any massive jumping whenever I looked back. I didn't care if people were going crazy or not, I rocked out, jumped, headbanged and fistpumped through every song. I was amazed I

survived the night without a drop of water since I was scared of getting dehydrated.

I got barrier, a little to the left of Matt. Ended up seeing Matt in front of me most of the time, saw Dom, but couldn't really see Chris, except when he moved to the left wing for TIRO:( It was nice meeting some awesome Musers, Plugmein (Sou), PlugINsOul (Sarah), oxoxmusexoxo (Jannette), and SupraLover23 (Michael). Sarah and Michael definitely rocked out at barrier, awesome to see them get into the show:D

Wasn't able to catch any video footage since security were being jerks and told me not to take videos. I only got couple decent pics, the rest were crappy since my hand was shaking and wasn't able to get proper pics. All I can say is that I had a blast, and I always have fun at a Muse show, make it a GA show and it triples the fun. Now I must wait a long time until I see them again, don't really know if I could take the pain:(

Highlights:

~The eyeball balloons refused to be popped and the guys kept playing a jam waiting for the ballons to pop. I guess they were very stubborn last night:LOL: I managed to get one as a souvenir so that was a plus.

~During this time people kept crowd-surfing down to the front, and one guy was tackled by security when he tried to throw a popped eyeball balloon to Matt but it landed on the floor instead of the stage:LOL:

~ What I definitely missed was the major sing along Matt let us do during Starlight in the Oakland gig, I was waiting for that moment and it never came, oh well.

~The riffs after SS were definitely awesome, loved it. Their performance was pretty much amazing as always, but they did seem a little beat though. Seems like the LA shows really worn them out or something:)

~I definitely loved the moment before they came back for the encore, people kept chanting their name until they came on stage, gave me chills.

~Matt gave a little smile to the crowd once they finished Knights:D

P1010498.thumb.JPG.deda67a4ffc75f5d223179a4526c576c.JPG

P1010488.thumb.JPG.27b17ccea6049e88fe4d53486b5f9e0c.JPG

P1010495.thumb.jpg.901b1fc6ed3f3568361fe2df7cc1e9fc.jpg

One thing I noticed that was different to my 10 other gigs, was that the crowd did not push you into the barricade.

This. My friends and I were on the barrier as well and we had nobody pushing us from behind at all, yet whenever I looked back, the crowd was still energetic and going. It may not have been the best set in the world, but it was easily the most pleasant experience I've had so far. My attention was mostly focused on Chris and Morgan (since we were on their side of the stage) and they seemed to be having a jolly old time and it made it really fun for us.

This was my 6th Muse gig, and although no rarities were played, I still had the time of my life. We already knew that Muse's plans were to just fly in and out, and they never even planned to do a soundcheck, so we weren't expecting a long set list. Even the local radio station's planned interview was canceled a few weeks ago because of Muse's tight schedule. Danny, the videographer, ended up giving me his water bottle and setlist during the show, and our friend got the venue security setlist. They looked a bit different, but had the exact same songs on them. Her setlist showed their flight time, which was 11:30, so the short setlist had nothing to do with Arco. Its too bad that they went to Sacramento at all and not the Bay, since the bay area has way better venues. In terms of all the Muse gigs I've been to, Matt and Dom seemed to be in good moods and talked quite a bit. I thought it was awesome how they acknowledged and played some Deftones riffs in their hometown. We were on barricade right in front of Matt, and although there wasn't any pushing, the crowd by us was totally into it. I met some awesome Musers (and some shitty ones too) and got to hang with them and my old Muse buddies all day, so overall i thought it was a pretty amazing experience.

That must be Danny you're referring to. :eyebrows: He totally made my SoCal tour! He even has his own Facebook fan page now. :chuckle:

Danny the Muse Camera Man

HAHAHA Awesome! Thanks for that link. I couldn't get up the courage to ask for a picture with him, or of him...dang, after seeing this I should have! I took some sly photos, but they are all blurry.

Does he know about the fan page?

You ask any professional recording engineer that records live music in California and they will tell you Arco Arena was built with no acoustic sense at all. :)

The acoustic "sense" with which it was built was to amplify any crowd noise to make it seem like there are more than the 15k that (used to) go to the basketball games.

Not exactly ideal concert acoustics. Better if you're on the floor, but still nowhere near great (and more muddled as you go up).

I think as the night went along, Bellamy got more & more into it, as evidenced by his increasing chattiness - even if he did not want to be there initially. And Dom definitely made everybody leave on a high note with his farewell "speech."

sounds like a mix of things weren't ideal -- and it seemed like there was a late start due to something technical (setting up the screens on the towers and I swear there were some glitches a few times during the show that I hadn't seen before -- I still enjoyed the show though :D )

If it's true they didn't want to be there -- (though I find that a little extreme - maybe they just didn't feel like being there - I mean, didn't they want to 'conquer' America? You have to play a few not-so-great venues ;) but I could understand not being thrilled to play Arco now that I've been there) -- they hardly phoned it in :) I still jumped up and down, sang along, hollered, punched the air, all that and there were plenty of moments where the band looked like they were enjoyed themselves. It was pretty warm in there at times though - as much as I could 'live' in a Muse gig for the rest of my life part of me wanted to get out of there, get some air and some cold water :p *is bad fan*

sounds like a mix of things weren't ideal -- and it seemed like there was a late start due to something technical (setting up the screens on the towers and I swear there were some glitches a few times during the show that I hadn't seen before -- I still enjoyed the show though :D )

Yeah. And Matt screwed up the lyrics on a number of songs. :$:LOL:

The acoustic "sense" with which it was built was to amplify any crowd noise to make it seem like there are more than the 15k that (used to) go to the basketball games.

Not exactly ideal concert acoustics. Better if you're on the floor, but still nowhere near great (and more muddled as you go up).

I think as the night went along, Bellamy got more & more into it, as evidenced by his increasing chattiness - even if he did not want to be there initially. And Dom definitely made everybody leave on a high note with his farewell "speech."

Yes haha I mean acoustic sense in the way we'd have liked it for last night :D

Well... This was my second time seeing Muse live. The first time was earlier this year at Oracle Arena in Oakland, and that show was absolutely phenomenal, with the amazing energy and nice set list (even if there weren't any rarities that I can recall). This one, however... hmm.

I liked it, I really did. But I left feeling slightly disappointed. It felt off from the time it started, and throughout the entire show my Mom and I (she's a fellow Muse fan) could tell that the energy just wasn't there. We thought it might've been Muse just being exhausted from the tour, and I still think that's a reason for the slightly ho-hum experience most people (including myself) seem to have had, but reading the previous pages of this thread it looks like Arco Arena really screwed up as well. I even saw that the security there (or some sort of staff) were badmouthing Muse...?!?! Highly unprofessional jerks. :mad:

There definitely seemed to be a late start to the show. I recall clearly every time one of those pre-techno songs ending the crowd starting to cheer and then disappointed yells as it went onto another one. :LOL:

If Arco Arena really messed up this much, I wouldn't be surprised if Muse never came back to this arena (yay double negatives!). Really, though, I think I'm going to try to avoid seeing them again in this arena - Oracle (Oakland) was FANTASTIC, and the sound quality there was noticeably better than Arco. I can see them in the bay area easily enough.

All in all, even if I was disappointed, I still enjoyed the show a heck of a lot - even if the Oakland concert was 10x times better than this. Luckily, I know that this isn't an average performance for Muse to do - the short setlist, lack of energy, etc. Even though this is only the second concert of their's I've seen, it certainly sounds like this is a major exception.

Oh, I did like it when Matt kicked the balloon at Dom though. :LOL:

Was I hearing things or did Matt mix in a tiny bit of Back In Black at one point?

(Uh ignore the random title that sounds like a street address, that was a captcha I typed in and I have no idea how that ended up there haha)

Yep, Matt riffs Back In Black after Hysteria pretty much every show ;)

Archived