Don't blame Muse for this.

Blame Arco Arena...

I spoke to some of the crew after the show and they said Arco rushed Muse off the stage. They were not pleased with how it was handled at all. They said they had a lot of problems setting up the equipment because of poor communication from the Arco staff. The guy I spoke to said Muse had intended to play a longer set but were told later that their set time had to be chopped down considerably. Even stuff like no star spangled banner, and no house of the rising sun riffs.

Also, the Arco acoustics are so poor that they couldn't go to their usual volume. Everything had to be turned down to accomodate the venue.

The guy seemed pretty frustrated with them.

I went from sad to angry last night, getting shorted 2 songs with the bare-standard 15 full songs. Thanks for the explanation. It helps to defuse some of the anger. Now it kind of makes sense since there were very little break between songs.

Muse still has a hand in the pot. They should have made the most of the time that they were given and rocked the fuck out, instead of lulling us to sleep. :stunned:

I am with you Jessica. But maybe they didn't have time to adjust to the schedule change? Why couldn't they cut from Passion Pit?

Did they do a mini-riffgasm though after SS? I thought it was more than the usual summer outro riffs? That was one of the brighter spots.

After KOC, Matt smiled and bowed on both sides of the stage. Dom made his rounds on the stage and picked up a tube thrown to him and acknowleged the fans. As Dom went down the steps back stage he looked over at our section and smiled so that was a nice rare connection moment. Side stage seating was pretty ignored! Matt barely went on his wing (maybe total of 40 secs) which is separated from us (the first section in front of the stage) by a blocked off section. ARCO was so weird. I left the arena feeling stunned. Sacramento now takes the worst setlist of the tour award.

He must be really amazing, considering that there's a FB fan page! Now I wish I could meet him. :LOL:

Jessica! :D Cameraman on Chris's side: did you get his name too?

Tracy, you didn't see him??? After my first night in SD on the barrier on Matt's side, I purposely went for that exact same barrier spot for the next three nights just to be near him. I know you've seen my picture already. :LOL:

Don't blame Muse for this.

Blame Arco Arena...

I spoke to some of the crew after the show and they said Arco rushed Muse off the stage. They were not pleased with how it was handled at all. They said they had a lot of problems setting up the equipment because of poor communication from the Arco staff. The guy I spoke to said Muse had intended to play a longer set but were told later that their set time had to be chopped down considerably. Even stuff like no star spangled banner, and no house of the rising sun riffs.

Also, the Arco acoustics are so poor that they couldn't go to their usual volume. Everything had to be turned down to accomodate the venue.

The guy seemed pretty frustrated with them.

That really sucks!!!! I wonder what Arco Arena's reason was for this? Its not like they have a curfew, its an indoor arena!!!!!! :confused: That's too bad for the fans!! Glad I decided to go to Staples instead!

Hopefully they will come back to Oakland/Bay Area again next time, because based on that I don't think they will go back to Sacramento either!

WTF?!?! Who was saying that :mad:? The barrier security? Or the assholes on their bikes outside?

I'm guessing one of the security guards that had to "deal" with them. The band was probably a little angry if ARCO wasn't treating them well.

Tracy, you didn't see him??? After my first night in SD on the barrier on Matt's side, I purposely went for that exact same barrier spot for the next three nights just to be near him. I know you've seen my picture already. :LOL:

No, I didn't see him! Or...maybe I did but I wasn't really paying attention. :unsure:

That is one hell of a picture! Britt's tag is also excellent. :yesey:

Some of us saw Paul walk in front of the barrier, but at the time we couldn't think of his name, so we were like, "OMG it's the guy on the birthday cake!!" :LOL:

I'm guessing one of the security guards that had to "deal" with them. The band was probably a little angry if ARCO wasn't treating them well.

Probably. Muse has every right to be angry with Arco, if Arco really did pull all that bullshit. That must be why security outside didn't give a shit about organizing the line and addressing the line jumpers. They kept on saying "nothing we can do! :rolleyes:."

Why couldn't they cut from Passion Pit?

Yeah!! I have grown to like Passion Pit over these last few shows, but I'm here to see Muse! Give me more Muse!

Yeah so I can sum my experience up as subpar. As I got to Arco I saw it was huge on the outside, yet the arena was horrible acoustically and the stage cramped the members. I was in the pit, and the energy from where I was was just not there. The concert I had gone to at Oracle Arena blew this one out of the water! Most possibly the worst part was TIRO being 6th. When I was expecting something different, I was hopeful after the piano set that we would get a special rarity, CE, bliss, or B&H as an extra piano song. Instead, Muse had me hanging on every song until the encore, where I realized the setlist was going to be a 15 song set. The highlight was the riffage after SS, being 4 riffs. Now that I think about it, many riffs were played. Why couldn't there have been another song instead of 4 minutes of riffs after SS? Even though, I loved the whole of the concert, I just feel that I was robbed of a proper setlist.

1. As I predicted (although no proof of that prediction here hehe) they played some classic extended Deftones riffs in the hometown of the deftones. That was cool.

2. The musicianship was spot on, to my 2 friends that had never seen muse, they loved it.

3. My 16th time seeing Muse, this was the first time where my ears weren't ringing after the show. It did sound very quiet, and I suspect it has too do with them only setting up 1/3 of the speakers they usually do on this tour, and we were on the side. Maybe it was louder on the floor, but on the side it was very quiet. Which I didn't mind actually.

4. Matt was clearly fatigued and possibly sick. He sounded a tad nasily sometimes, and barely said a word.

5. 15 songs... all songs that were played in Oakland the last time they were in northern california. As someone that has seen them 8 times now during the resistance tour, this is definitely the first time I was disappointed. That said, Muse at their worst is still incredible. I just feel bad for people that don't get to see them often, and this is probably the last time Muse will be here for a long time.

6. Actually, I thought the crowd was quite into it. But the band didn't seem to care. Matt didn't let us sing along to TiRo or Starlight, which he usually does. I definitely think the crowd would have sung it better than any of the other shows I have been to in the states... at least in section 110. Hell, Matt sung it and the crowd STILL almost drowned him out.

Overall, I would pay the money and see this exact show EVERY time if that is all Muse was. But Muse is more than they were tonight, and I just felt empty for my friends that heard how intense they were in SoCal. It's not like it was a bad show, but it a lack of intensity AND a short setlist... my friends hated me because they knew I saw 4 shows that were all better than this one. And I felt bad about it.

I really really hope that Muse doesn't base their set length on how many tickets were sold. This place only sold tickets to 60% of the lower bowl and maybe 20% of the upper bowl. I guess to be fair the tickets only costed 45 bucks rather than 65 in LA, but I dunno, I feel like when people go to see Muse, they shouldn't be penalized because they don't live in a major city.

1. As I predicted (although no proof of that prediction here hehe) they played some classic extended Deftones riffs in the hometown of the deftones. That was cool.

2. The musicianship was spot on, to my 2 friends that had never seen muse, they loved it.

3. My 16th time seeing Muse, this was the first time where my ears weren't ringing after the show. It did sound very quiet, and I suspect it has too do with them only setting up 1/3 of the speakers they usually do on this tour, and we were on the side. Maybe it was louder on the floor, but on the side it was very quiet. Which I didn't mind actually.

4. Matt was clearly fatigued and possibly sick. He sounded a tad nasily sometimes, and barely said a word.

5. 15 songs... all songs that were played in Oakland the last time they were in northern california. As someone that has seen them 8 times now during the resistance tour, this is definitely the first time I was disappointed. That said, Muse at their worst is still incredible. I just feel bad for people that don't get to see them often, and this is probably the last time Muse will be here for a long time.

6. Actually, I thought the crowd was quite into it. But the band didn't seem to care. Matt didn't let us sing along to TiRo or Starlight, which he usually does. I definitely think the crowd would have sung it better than any of the other shows I have been to in the states... at least in section 110. Hell, Matt sung it and the crowd STILL almost drowned him out.

Overall, I would pay the money and see this exact show EVERY time if that is all Muse was. But Muse is more than they were tonight, and I just felt empty for my friends that heard how intense they were in SoCal. It's not like it was a bad show, but it a lack of intensity AND a short setlist... my friends hated me because they knew I saw 4 shows that were all better than this one. And I felt bad about it.

I really really hope that Muse doesn't base their set length on how many tickets were sold. This place only sold tickets to 60% of the lower bowl and maybe 20% of the upper bowl. I guess to be fair the tickets only costed 45 bucks rather than 65 in LA, but I dunno, I feel like when people go to see Muse, they shouldn't be penalized because they don't live in a major city.

+1, on everything!

ChrisAbbott22:

I think this is an excuse by select individuals from Muse's road crew, and a rather poor one too. Under no reason should anyone in Muse's touring staff focus the communication blame solely on the Arco staff, considering that Muse and most of the crew had a one day off break in between the LA show and the Sacramento show. There was ample time for them to check and make sure things were going as schedule. If anything, it would probably be proper to say that perhaps they both share the blame for how things turned out - but the road crew for Muse should have been on top of things to ensure there would be no major communication problems with the venue.

BTW, the acoustics may have been poor due to a lack of proper soundchecks for the venue - all of which are the responsibility of the band and their sound team. The Arco Arena is not to blame for the poor sound, as they are not the ones who control who works the sound for each musician who plays there.

ChrisAbbott22:

I think this is an excuse by select individuals from Muse's road crew, and a rather poor one too. Under no reason should anyone in Muse's touring staff focus the communication blame solely on the Arco staff, considering that Muse and most of the crew had a one day off break in between the LA show and the Sacramento show. There was ample time for them to check and make sure things were going as schedule. If anything, it would probably be proper to say that perhaps they both share the blame for how things turned out - but the road crew for Muse should have been on top of things to ensure there would be no major communication problems with the venue.

BTW, the acoustics may have been poor due to a lack of proper soundchecks for the venue - all of which are the responsibility of the band and their sound team. The Arco Arena is not to blame for the poor sound, as they are not the ones who control who works the sound for each musician who plays there.

Lol, do you work there? :p

ChrisAbbott22:

I kinda agree with what you're saying here. I saw green day here a year or so ago and they played a good 2.5 hour set and had good sounding acoustics

ChrisAbbott22:

Thank you for that informative and thought-provoking post, Mr. Arco :)

:chuckle:

Lol, do you work there? :p

No, I do not. I travel around to a lot of venues to see many different concerts. Also as a musician, I know quite a bit about the expectations of the musician+staff and the venue too. More or less in the majority of cases, the venue simply allows the musician to play there. They really don't have full control over most of the other things.

ChrisAbbott22:

hello there, mr lurker :)

yes, those british tossers and their crew are to blame. one day when (if!) they can be successful enough to do loads of gigs a year with short time in between each date, maybe then they will learn how to prepare a live show properly.

lol

:LOL: Some people are unbelievable! :LOL:

now, now... one of the most common complaints about setlist moaners and the beef in general is that the people complaining weren't at the gig, so who are they to judge? In this case, Jessica was there, and she's unhappy about it, who are we to tell her she's wrong?

Archived