No, I do not. I travel around to a lot of venues to see many different concerts. Also as a musician, I know quite a bit about the expectations of the musician+staff and the venue too. More or less in the majority of cases, the venue simply allows the musician to play there. They really don't have full control over most of the other things.

That's not true.

I feel bad for the band (if everything said is true) and the people there but I'm sure everyone can handle a bad day, right? The tour still goes on; let's see what happens at the next gig.

now, now... one of the most common complaints about setlist moaners and the beef in general is that the people complaining weren't at the gig, so who are they to judge? In this case, Jessica was there, and she's unhappy about it, who are we to tell her she's wrong?

It's just that even having seen an explanation, she still has to have a dig at Muse. They were probably as pissed off as she was, and they're human, not robots. They can only do their best and we are supposed to be their fans.

PS The set list doesn't sound any different from their normal core set list.

hello there, mr lurker :)

yes, those british tossers and their crew are to blame. one day when (if!) they can be successful enough to do loads of gigs a year with short time in between each date, maybe then they will learn how to prepare a live show properly.

lol

Did I ever say that Muse or other British bands always have a road crew that always mismanaged things? Of course not. These touring issues happen pretty often to a lot of bands, British or not.

5. 15 songs... all songs that were played in Oakland the last time they were in northern california. As someone that has seen them 8 times now during the resistance tour, this is definitely the first time I was disappointed. That said, Muse at their worst is still incredible. I just feel bad for people that don't get to see them often, and this is probably the last time Muse will be here for a long time.

6. Actually, I thought the crowd was quite into it. But the band didn't seem to care. Matt didn't let us sing along to TiRo or Starlight, which he usually does. I definitely think the crowd would have sung it better than any of the other shows I have been to in the states... at least in section 110. Hell, Matt sung it and the crowd STILL almost drowned him out.

Overall, I would pay the money and see this exact show EVERY time if that is all Muse was. But Muse is more than they were tonight, and I just felt empty for my friends that heard how intense they were in SoCal. It's not like it was a bad show, but it a lack of intensity AND a short setlist... my friends hated me because they knew I saw 4 shows that were all better than this one. And I felt bad about it.

I really really hope that Muse doesn't base their set length on how many tickets were sold. This place only sold tickets to 60% of the lower bowl and maybe 20% of the upper bowl. I guess to be fair the tickets only costed 45 bucks rather than 65 in LA, but I dunno, I feel like when people go to see Muse, they shouldn't be penalized because they don't live in a major city.

I like your post. You are so reasonable about it and such a nice fan.

Where were you in 110? I was in the front rows and didn't hear much singing. I felt mainly casual fan energy in the section. Overall seats sections were pretty quiet and still, but at least people were standing.

That's not true.

I feel bad for the band (if everything said is true) and the people there but I'm sure everyone can handle a bad day, right? The tour still goes on; let's see what happens at the next gig.

:yesey: It's a shame they didn't get to do the full setlist, though....

It's just that even having seen an explanation, she still has to have a dig at Muse. They were probably as pissed off as she was, and they're human, not robots. They can only do their best.

Oh, I agree with that... but I'm not going to go after her for feeling disappointed. The band are only human and sometimes things happen and you end up with an off day. Even if the show is great, if you're a perfectionist who is used to being greater than great it can be deflating. The fans are only human too - so I understand if they feel a bit of disappointment or frustration, especially someone who's seen another show and knows that even if it was great it could have been better. That's a hard feeling to overcome.

It's just that even having seen an explanation, she still has to have a dig at Muse. They were probably as pissed off as she was, and they're human, not robots. They can only do their best and we are supposed to be their fans.

PS The set list doesn't sound any different from their normal core set list.

What's she's saying makes sense though. If they knew they could only pull off a 15 song set because of the situation they could have very easily done something like swap out TIRO for Bliss...

now, now... one of the most common complaints about setlist moaners and the beef in general is that the people complaining weren't at the gig, so who are they to judge? In this case, Jessica was there, and she's unhappy about it, who are we to tell her she's wrong?

:LOL:! Owned.

:yesey: It's a shame they didn't get to do the full setlist, though....

Oh, I agree with that... but I'm not going to go after her for feeling disappointed. The band are only human and sometimes things happen and you end up with an off day. Even if the show is great, if you're a perfectionist who is used to being greater than great it can be deflating. The fans are only human too - so I understand if they feel a bit of disappointment or frustration, especially someone who's seen another show and knows that even if it was great it could have been better. That's a hard feeling to overcome.

Yeah I understand that too. But think how many shows they could have received grief for stuff that may have been out of their control, and would have been different if they had had it their way. And this time we even have an explanation for a shorter set. I don't think it's unreasonable to accept that and aim frustration at the venue, not Muse, who were probably just as frustrated.

Yeah I understand that too. But think how many shows they could have received grief for stuff that may have been out of their control, and would have been different if they had had it their way. And this time we even have an explanation for a shorter set. I don't think it's unreasonable to accept that and aim frustration at the venue, not Muse, who were probably just as frustrated.

Maybe we should blame the twilight fans

See, that's the thing. I have only gone to one other concert to see Muse, and really I can probably only see them once a year. Since I live in NorCal, and have school there, I couldn't go to every single Cali Muse concert, I could only go to the Sacramento one. All I'm saying is that if they find out that they have to do a shorter setlist, they should substitute a song that can be swapped for a rarer/crowd favorite. Then, even if the set is short, they know that the crowd is into it.

It was still a WONDERFUL concert, and I'm sosososososo happy I could go!

I don't get why Muse are always immune to any criticism in your eyes. Even if there were frustrations with communication there was absolutely nothing stopping Muse from giving everything they could. Frustrations or not, Muse are there to do a job for people who have paid good money to see them. In my view, if they can't put on the best show possible then I'd rather they cancel and come back when it IS possible, than have to see a lacklustre show and not be able to claim money back at all.

Some fans who went were disappointed with the show Muse put on, it's really not for me or you to tell them they are wrong to criticise Muse. We weren't there.

That's just the way it goes, though... the band is the face of a "machine" that is behind them. They're the ones we know, so they're the ones we're going to look to. If there's a screw up, they get the heat, it all has their names on it.

Plus, remember that the explanation that we were given is coming to us third hand from a fan who spoke to members of the crew, so we don't know how accurate it is (not that I'm denying this guy is telling the truth about what he was told, I'm just saying that it's hearsay) If the band came out and said something about it, there'd be a stronger case, but for now, we don't really know what happened, all we have is a reason presented by crew members to a fan...

I like your post. You are so reasonable about it and such a nice fan.

Where were you in 110? I was in the front rows and didn't hear much singing. I felt mainly casual fan energy in the section. Overall seats sections were pretty quiet and still, but at least people were standing.

I was in row Q. I myself was silent and motionless because I was taping the audio, but I went with 7 friends, and half of them and the row in front and behind me were very into it.

Maybe I was just hearing the insane echo that was occurring in the back of the arena.

That's just the way it goes, though... the band is the face of a "machine" that is behind them. They're the ones we know, so they're the ones we're going to look to. If there's a screw up, they get the heat, it all has their names on it.

Plus, remember that the explanation that we were given is coming to us third hand from a fan who spoke to members of the crew, so we don't know how accurate it is (not that I'm denying this guy is telling the truth about what he was told, I'm just saying that it's hearsay) If the band came out and said something about it, there'd be a stronger case, but for now, we don't really know what happened, all we have is a reason presented by crew members to a fan...

We don't know how accurate the report is from the fan who watched the show either. Anyway I've made my point and I'm not going to argue any further. People on here are always too quick to criticise Muse over everything anyway.

Maybe we should blame the twilight fans

I'm all for pinning the blame on footface and his legions of fangirls :awesome:

See, that's the thing. I have only gone to one other concert to see Muse, and really I can probably only see them once a year. Since I live in NorCal, and have school there, I couldn't go to every single Cali Muse concert, I could only go to the Sacramento one. All I'm saying is that if they find out that they have to do a shorter setlist, they should substitute a song that can be swapped for a rarer/crowd favorite. Then, even if the set is short, they know that the crowd is into it.

It was still a WONDERFUL concert, and I'm sosososososo happy I could go!

I think that's a good point, it would have been nice for them to have done something special if they were told there was a time constraint. They could have thrown in a random song they don't normally play or something like that to try to "make up for" the missing song. It sounds like they may just have in general been having an off night (was someone sick? were they frustrated with the venue? something else?)...

I'm glad you were able to enjoy it :D Like I was saying earlier, there are always the little moments here and there that make a gig unique and special, even if there are things you wish had gone differently :)

Just on my way back from Sacramento and I have to say I enjoyed the gig very much - BUT - I did think the moment I walked into Arco 'ok, this is a bit cramped - this will be interesting' - too bad time was cramped as well. And it got pretty hot indoors a few times I can't imagine what it would be under lights. Dom was awesome as always but looked like he was tired - fatigued from the heat I'm guessing. Despite the odd venue, shorter setlist I really appreciated the show they put on - though I'm glad I went to 1st night LA and Oakland in April. (and someday, even if it's during a 'greatest hits when the lads are in their 50s' tour I *will* hear Bliss, lol!)

i'm on my phone & can't read all the pages yet - I'd like to know what Dom was talking about partway through after Matt started jamming with him. Matt played some guitar stuff, Dom joined, then Chris, then I have no idea what Dom said. If anyone knows that would be great :) thanks!

Archived