I MAY GET A KEELEY COZ MATT HAZ WUN ITZ SEW COOL WEN I COMPRESS MAI FUZZ FACTORY.

lol but seriously, I can't think of any compressors that aren't either going too completely destroy my signal with compression that's a bit too heavy even on minimal settings.

?

Does matt have one? I'm talking about several years ago in the FX pedal community :p

I use a Digitech bass comp, and I've never had any problems with it. It has low and high band tone controls, with a crossover knob as well. And you can get one for about $40-50. Doesn't color tone at all as far as I can tell. Has both wet and dry outputs. Solidly built. Did I mention it's cheap as hell?

I would hope it does, considering that's kindof the point of a multiband!

• 4 weeks later...

I need a new guitar amp.

I have a budget of ~£250 I can push for +~£30 more.

Basically I really like the sound of Vox amps, and the obvious choice is the AD 100 VT-XL, which is probably one of the best value amps that Vox do. It's got 100 watts of RMS, which unless I'm mistaken should be enough to overpower an acoustic drum kit?

Yeah I was just wondering whether I should get it, and whether it's worth the pricetag?

I don't really play any one style, so the amp presets look like they can more than cater for my needs.

I need a new guitar amp.

I have a budget of ~£250 I can push for +~£30 more.

Basically I really like the sound of Vox amps, and the obvious choice is the AD 100 VT-XL, which is probably one of the best value amps that Vox do. It's got 100 watts of RMS, which unless I'm mistaken should be enough to overpower an acoustic drum kit?

Yeah I was just wondering whether I should get it, and whether it's worth the pricetag?

I don't really play any one style, so the amp presets look like they can more than cater for my needs.

NO NO NO.

The obvious choice is a Laney VC30! It's pretty much a Vox AC30, which is the 'vox' sound :)

Second-hand, you'll be able to pick it up for well under your budget and it'll sound a lot more 'vox' than the Vox ;)

K well I'll look around ;)

there's also the possibility that you may have mis-understood me, when I said I like the vox sound, I meant the sound of that particular amp, after hearing it, but I guess the AC-30/VC-30's can only have a better sound

there's also the possibility that you may have mis-understood me, when I said I like the vox sound, I meant the sound of that particular amp, after hearing it, but I guess the AC-30/VC-30's can only have a better sound

Spot on buddy! I can already see you're partially set on you Vox AD, but if its the one Im thinking of then you will regret it in the long run. If you spend a little extra now and buy a nice second hand valve amp you will save a lot extra if you have to replace a hybrid-valve-fx-whatever. I know its extra money but trust me its worth it.

Laney valve amps are a good place for cleans. You'd also be surprised by the clean on a Peavey valveking that go second hand for about your price range. Its got some nice gain too so check both those suggestions out.

ed: just noticed you're in Surrey. If you can get across to guildford look up andertons music. They have some nice gear at reasonable prices http://www.andertons.co.uk/

Spot on buddy! I can already see you're partially set on you Vox AD, but if its the one Im thinking of then you will regret it in the long run. If you spend a little extra now and buy a nice second hand valve amp you will save a lot extra if you have to replace a hybrid-valve-fx-whatever. I know its extra money but trust me its worth it.

Laney valve amps are a good place for cleans. You'd also be surprised by the clean on a Peavey valveking that go second hand for about your price range. Its got some nice gain too so check both those suggestions out.

ed: just noticed you're in Surrey. If you can get across to guildford look up andertons music. They have some nice gear at reasonable prices http://www.andertons.co.uk/

ahh unfortunately andertons don't stock peaveys or laneys :(

but this laney is starting to sound more tantalising, just had a visit to the website and the demonstration sounds great! I was a little worried you all might have got the wrong interpretation, that I wanted a purely clean amp, but the overdrive sounds great, I'll try and find it in my area, and have a play around cheers :)

There was a little debate going round college, so i might as well throw this into the mix for saminthehat.

"Your better of getting a valve amp in the long run. If anything with solid state goes wrong, it would cost quite a lot to get if fixed, due to checking transistors etc etc. If its a valve amp, a simple change of the valves is the common fix for a lot of problems"

Idk if i disagree or w0t, but ye, pick n mix boiz

There was a little debate going round college, so i might as well throw this into the mix for saminthehat.

"Your better of getting a valve amp in the long run. If anything with solid state goes wrong, it would cost quite a lot to get if fixed, due to checking transistors etc etc. If its a valve amp, a simple change of the valves is the common fix for a lot of problems"

you get a valve amp if you like the sound of a valve, get a transistor amp if you like the sound of transistors.

the unreliability of valve amps is highly overstated. the only problems i've had with mine in 4 and a half years is 2 blown fuses, which have taken 5 minutes to change at most, never changed the valves.

Basically I really like the sound of Vox amps, and the obvious choice is the AD 100 VT-XL,

I take it you've been playing guitar for a while, and if you like Vox amps you should pick up a Vox AC15CC, it runs for about 600$ US, and 15 Tube Watts will be loud enough to do small gigs (If you play a place where it needs to be miced, they'll probably have a microphone for you).

100 Watts Solid State watts is just fine for gigging too if you do get the Valvetronix amp, but I highly suggest saving up and getting the AC15CC if you want a Vox amp (Or even the 30 Watt if you want a louder amp.. The AC15 is already pretty loud in itself though).

Last time I played a Valvetronix amp, the salesman was all hyped up about it for me, and then I played it, and I was like "Man, that sounds like shit.." and he was like "Yeah.. I don't really like it either"

Guest bshuker

Wow that quote is astonishingly well written...

no it doesn't, people are still using the original Mullards that came with their amps. there's lots of bullshit surrounding valve amps.

This is true - I still have the original mullards in one of my amps from '71 that test good etc. That's the thing though, some would say that tubes back then are better than the ones today. But I'm not sure about this.

Having said that..my cousin has a fender pro junior he gigs with (yes, it's the small 15 watt amp), which he's had for about six years i think. this is gigged at full volume about six times a month. nothings been changed from what i can tell.

no it doesn't, people are still using the original Mullards that came with their amps. there's lots of bullshit surrounding valve amps.

It would seem so. I've had my Laney for five (?) years now and never changed the valves... It wasn't even new when I got it and I push it hard every time I use it!

Edit: Of course, I did blow the output transformer but that was more down to rocking too hard :)

Edit: Of course, I did blow the output transformer but that was more down to rocking too hard :)

That happened with my LC15 and my LC30.

I ran both of them through my 1960a, both times the output transformers blew. Apparantly it's a known issue with Laneys, and since the transformer was replaced in them it's not fucked up since. My DSL is still the most reliable fucker i've ever played.

Archived