The AVT's are 50,000 times better than the MG's. They're not bad amps at all, really. Alot of people are quick to leap on them 'cos they're solid state.

I disagree. The only difference I can find is that they sound more reasonable at loud volumes, unlike the mgs.

The AVT's are 50,000 times better than the MG's. They're not bad amps at all, really. Alot of people are quick to leap on them 'cos they're solid state.

have you had/tried one?

im going down to my guitar shop to try a few out this weekend.

my guitar teacher has a vavlestate 8080

which also sounds lovely,and i think its the same deal with the AVT series, its just not as much watts.

Aye.

Nah seriously they aren't bad at all, at college an AVT50 is all I had to play through for the big band, and it wasn't THAT bad. It also managed to get loud enough to compete with the brass without breaking up.

If you're a n00b, you should get to your nearest guitar shop and try every single amp they have, even ones you cant afford. itll help you find out what you like tonewise.

kay.

im not a guitar n00b, but ampwise yur.

i had a go of some big lovely oranges and marshalls, but they were WAYYY out of my budget.

i also had a go of the orange crush, but that really wasn't my sorta thing. although it did look cool.

i think marshalls my sorta amp, i like the tones you get out of them, but i am going to my local shop this weekend (:

DR Lo-Rider bass strings. According to my tuner, they stay in tune for a week or more, and I play about an hour on weekdays and quite a bit more on weekends. The G string drifts out of tune a tad more quickly because I pop it pretty hard sometimes (I snapped the last one I had).

They also sound brilliant and feel much smoother than normal strings, because the winding wire is significantly smaller.

I'm thinking of getting a good middle-end delay pedal.

Which one out of these...

Boss DD-20

Line 6 DL4

Boss RE-20.

or another? bear in mind i want to use it more for the big spacey echoy sounds, like the space echo or the tape on the DL4. im not after pristine delays or analogue ones, although it would be nice to have them too. that's why the DL4 looks appealing. thoughts? :) thanks.

Akai has a delay/looper which is supposed to be quite good, and the DigiTech HardWire delay might be worth looking at as well. The one I'm looking at getting myself is the Electro-Harmonix one, because it supposedly has the most useable reverse mode. Really just throwing a bunch out there though, I don't remember off the top of my head if any of those have what you're looking for.

Have you actually tried any of the higher end Crate amps? They're pretty good, don't just go by a low brand name.

the only crate amp that ive played that was any good was the power block.

and even then it was just cos it was loud and kept the sound clean for the multi unit i was running into it :p

to each his own though

the only crate amp that ive played that was any good was the power block.

and even then it was just cos it was loud and kept the sound clean for the multi unit i was running into it :p

to each his own though

For the price (even the high end crates) are pretty good, I found that if you use a decent cab (not the crate cabs they're terrible) loaded with a set of V30s they can sound really big and full of character. Where I used to work had about 5 different Crate amps because they were so popular with the blues and rock crowd.

For the price (even the high end crates) are pretty good, I found that if you use a decent cab (not the crate cabs they're terrible) loaded with a set of V30s they can sound really big and full of character. Where I used to work had about 5 different Crate amps because they were so popular with the blues and rock crowd.

fair enough. ill admit ive not played with the high-end ones. only the little solid state practice amps

Archived