Promo CDs have been distributed to radio stations. Hopefully we'll get a physical release too. Promo CD has the instrumental as the second track and is white with silver print.

You could be wrong, could be wrong!!!!!

:( I know, I'm sad.

We all have our own perceptions of what motivates them but imo this isn't right because I think what they are doing currently may be more in line with who they are than some of the stuff they have done previously.

I listened to an interview on the making of OoS yesterday which was with John Leckie as well, and had the impression that it was John Leckie who encouraged them to go down avenues that they wouldn't necessarily chose themselves. And Matt didn't sound, to me, entirely comfortable with the result and I would imagine he was speaking during the OoS promotional period.

Though I'm obviously choosing quite a contrast speaking about OoS, Resistance is a song which incorporates sadness and hope and in that way, I think it may be more representative of Muse as they are now than some of the darker rocky tracks of the past were of who they were then. It's also experimental as it is bringing in a different style that they haven't done before.

So basically, I think they may just be choosing songs they like. And personally, I think it is harder for them to do it this way than releasing a rockier track that some of their internet fans like better which makes less of a break with their previous style. In the same way Undisclosed Desires wasn't an easy option. They may release MK next though.

Undisclosed Desires wasn't the easy option? It's pretty much the most radio-friendly track on the album.

Maybe you are right in saying they are just releasing the songs they want to release. Maybe they just have bad taste. :p

I love the song, but the radio edit is just going to slaughter the song I'm sure. :(

Radio edits are EVIL!

I'm happy about Resistance becoming a single because its one of my favourite songs on the album and it means it's a setlist staple now :D

Me too. To walk in late to the debate at least its not guiding light!

Undisclosed Desires wasn't the easy option? It's pretty much the most radio-friendly track on the album.

Yeah but what I mean Obi is that I think people don't always take easily to change. So possibly it was harder for a band known mainly for rock to release something which veered so far into pop. That's why I don't see it as the soft option.:)

I think they meant that it wasn't an easy option because it would alienate a lot of fans, because as you can see a lot of people don't like it.

Yeah but what I mean Obi is that I think people don't always take easily to change. So possibly it was harder for a band known mainly for rock to release something which veered so far into pop.

Undisclosed Desires is a weird one; it's easily the poppiest and catchiest song on the album, but at the same time it's an R&B-ish song done by an alternative rock band, so it's something of a misfit that runs the risk of being ignored by either crowd.

Undisclosed Desires is a weird one; it's easily the poppiest and catchiest song on the album, but at the same time it's an R&B-ish song done by an alternative rock band, so it's something of a misfit that runs the risk of being ignored by either crowd.

Pretty much. And lack of good b-sides put off existing Muse fans from buying the single too.

For anybody interested, I received my monthly copies of Promo Only from the States this morning. On the Modern Rock disc there is a radio edit of 'Resistance' that is 3 minutes and 55 seconds. This may be the one that makes it onto our stations as well.

The song kicks straight in with the piano riff at the beginning with nothing else in the background. I knew it would be like that before I heard it. Although the rest of the intro does not get chopped in any way. Everything else seems pretty standard, first verse and chorus remains intact. Ah! The entire piano section after the first chorus is gone. There's a quick breakdown and the second verse kicks straight in. And what the hell? The piano riff kicks back in underneath 'kill our prayers for love and peace, you'll wake the thought police' etc - that just sounded wrong!

Second chorus remains intact, as well as 'the night has reached it's end' but the 'We must run' have been chopped down to two, and the entire outro has been cut and faded slowly.

Honest opinion? As a radio DJ i think it's perfect for radio play. As a Muse fan? They've slaughtered the damn thing.

YES! This is one of my favourite tracks from the album. I'm happy about this! I don't care if it doesn't have b-sides etc, I'm just curious to see what kind of music video this one will have. I'm hoping for a storyline instead of another performance.

For anybody interested, I received my monthly copies of Promo Only from the States this morning. On the Modern Rock disc there is a radio edit of 'Resistance' that is 3 minutes and 55 seconds. This may be the one that makes it onto our stations as well.

The song kicks straight in with the piano riff at the beginning with nothing else in the background. I knew it would be like that before I heard it. Although the rest of the intro does not get chopped in any way. Everything else seems pretty standard, first verse and chorus remains intact. Ah! The entire piano section after the first chorus is gone. There's a quick breakdown and the second verse kicks straight in. And what the hell? The piano riff kicks back in underneath 'kill our prayers for love and peace, you'll wake the thought police' etc - that just sounded wrong!

Second chorus remains intact, as well as 'the night has reached it's end' but the 'We must run' have been chopped down to two, and the entire outro has been cut and faded slowly.

Honest opinion? As a radio DJ i think it's perfect for radio play. As a Muse fan? They've slaughtered the damn thing.

Hmmm.

I would have shortened the intro, cut down the 'could be wrong' parts (as they're very repetitive), and then shortened the break down and outro. Cutting out the piano section after the chorus is just :noey:

Hmmm.

I would have shortened the intro, cut down the 'could be wrong' parts (as they're very repetitive), and then shortened the break down and outro. Cutting out the piano section after the chorus is just :noey:

Agree with this.

I would be very curious to hear the song without the "could be wrong" part but as you say cutting the piano section :noey:

YES! This is one of my favourite tracks from the album. I'm happy about this! I don't care if it doesn't have b-sides etc, I'm just curious to see what kind of music video this one will have. I'm hoping for a storyline instead of another performance.

I'd forgotten about the video altogether.

Matt and Dom having sex in a field then at the end they start to 'run' when the thought police come after them.

1984 in 3 minutes and 46 seconds.

I like Resistance too. Predictable release though. IBTY is getting on the publicity from the fake vampires so aside from that - I don't think there really was any other option. There's no way they'd release any or all parts of Exogenesis - GL is too boring and MK is too heavy. I'm not accusing Muse of selling out, but they know what will sell!

:facepalm: It would've been a suitable length for a single if they'd only taken off the intro and outro. Why mess about with the rest? :stunned:

Archived