The stage and pit at MSG isn't all that huge, though might be bigger this time with their huge stage setup and towers. This is what it looked like from right in front of Chris last time:

http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/gocanux#watch%3Dv1421582xDNGEx3g

Great view of everything!

The only difference is that this time around the stage will be a lot higher than what it is on that video.

Yeah someone already mentioned this question, but what about the people getting there at 7 am and its gunna probably like 35 degrees out. I kinda plan on gettin barrier so I will be there early, so i will need layered clothing, but then even if my place has a coat check, I don't want to waist time with that I want to get to the barrier as soon as possible. any ideas?

PS you guys are awesome this thread helps so much!

Yeah someone already mentioned this question, but what about the people getting there at 7 am and its gunna probably like 35 degrees out. I kinda plan on gettin barrier so I will be there early, so i will need layered clothing, but then even if my place has a coat check, I don't want to waist time with that I want to get to the barrier as soon as possible. any ideas?

I didn't realise you meant Fahrenheit and I thought 35 at 7am that's hawt :eek::LOL:

Just tie your jacket and layers around your waist once you're inside and take a first aid blanket for the queue as it will keep you warm outside and you can throw it away before you get in.

Kinda related to the question above: I plan on getting a hotel close to the venue and I will queue by myself during the day. Can I leave the queue and ask other people to keep my place while I take 5 minutes to check in the hotel and leave my stuff there during sometime in the afternoon?

Yup, changed my mind, I have GA for Baltimore. After spending the night at JFK the night of December 19 (SNL night, now I think of SNL performance every time I think of that night at the airport :facepalm: ) nothing scares me anymore :eek:

I'll be taking one of those warm survival blankets that I'll just toss in a garbage can before I get in. Get warm, thick socks and, if you're wearing gloves, you can get small hand warmers to wear in the glove. They're little liquid gel things that you heat up before you leave that will stay warm for about 4-6 hours. While that's only temporary, it's still something good to have.

Are seats any fun? Because I didn't get GA for MSG and everyone's talking about how epic the pit is, and I feel sort of left out. :supersad:

Of course seats are fun but believe me as soon as Muse get on stage you won't stay seated: you'll be on your feet dancing and jumping - that's the great thing about seated areas you have more space to move.

You'll have an epic time too :yesey:

Kinda related to the question above: I plan on getting a hotel close to the venue and I will queue by myself during the day. Can I leave the queue and ask other people to keep my place while I take 5 minutes to check in the hotel and leave my stuff there during sometime in the afternoon?

Yup, changed my mind, I have GA for Baltimore. After spending the night at JFK the night of December 19 (SNL night, now I think of SNL performance every time I think of that night at the airport :facepalm: ) nothing scares me anymore :eek:

Just be active on the MSG gig thread in the days before the concert. You will "meet" people who also plan on queueing early, and you can take turns holding each others' spots for food/loo breaks. And make some new Muser friends in the process!

Are seats any fun? Because I didn't get GA for MSG and everyone's talking about how epic the pit is, and I feel sort of left out. :supersad:

Especially if you get a seat in the middle of others who plan to stand, seating can be very epic as well. You have more room to dance, nobody is spreading their sweat all over your back and it's less probable that someone can nick stuff out of your front pockets. I have personal space issues and it's very likely I'd get a panic attack if too many people were pressing on me (or I'd simply faint from lack of air). That's why I find a nice spot with enough personal space for standing or even better - get a seat with great view and dance my heart out there.

It's not that standing is better than seats by default - it all depends on what you are looking for in a gig and how much can you take. I'm very happy with a seat and some people would kill for a good standing spot. It's all about personal preferences :happy:

There has been a lot of conversation in various theads about how rough it can get in the pit. Some Musers' concert experience was ruined because they had a difficult time in the pit, rude/pushy people near them, etc. You have to know what to expect and be prepared for it, or you too will have a miserable time.

I will quote Solarbell's post from the Vegas thread, contains lots of good info:

I would add a few more helpful hints: The GA/pit is great, a really intense concert experience, but you have to be ready to take the punishment that comes with it.

It really helps if you work out and have enough muscle power and stamina to brace yourself on the barrier or hold your ground in a crowd for the duration, which ends up being several hours. If you're not physically strong, you probably won't have a good time.

Must also mention the pre-gig hydrating, then several hours of fluid restriction so you don't have to go whiz and leave your precious barrier spot! Bring snacks in your pockets to stave off hypoglycemia.

And it's the few idiots (like the drunk girls in heels behind us in Vegas, moaning that their feet hurt: duh! wear sensible shoes! You will be standing in one square foot of space on hard cement for several hours) that make it miserable for everyone. Couldn't believe last night in Seattle, one real genius gal crowdsurfing in spike-heeled boots! Chucks with a good supportive insole insert are a popular choice. Wear sturdy jeans and a tee or tank; it gets hot! You will likely be drenched with sweat, much of it not your own! If you have long hair, bring an elastic to tie it up if you get too hot. Don't bring bags or coats, leave them in the car or at coat check. Put everything (basics only; money, camera, phone) in your pockets, or use a little camera case with a long strap that you can wear bandolero-style; you can put key/credit card/chapstick/granola bar in there.

It all comes down to preparation.

If you are claustrophobic and will panic if you are crushed from all sides and/or lifted right off your feet, get seats. If you are tiny and won't be able to see over people (yes, the 6'4" guys want to be down front too), get seats. If you want to wear a mini and heels, get seats. If you want to come to the gig drunk/high, get seats.

Part of the whole pit experience is how crazy and physical it gets, but make sure you are prepared. It's a rock concert, not a picnic!

Hi! Yup, I was in Vegas too and up at the barrier!!!! I have to say, I've been to many concerts up in front row in my time, but I wish to reinforce this statement: CAMERA PHONES HAVE MADE THE PIT EVEN SUCKIER! Now that people have digital cameras on cell phones, they pushing their way through to take a photo. In the good old days, at least lighters gave everyone the sense to give a bit a breathing room, otherwise the flame would set everyone's 80's big hair on fire! People made their way up to bask in the glory of the band, NOT to piss off those who earned their right of being in there by standing around all day to TAKE A DAMN PHOTO! I saw more people spending time behind their camera screen than actually STARING at the awesomeness of MUSE, who are RIGHT THERE... live in person! Also, please keep in mind of those who are short like me, that when you take a picture, to not jab your elbow in my face... someone almost broke my glasses! (can't wear contacts because of my prescription, so don't bother commenting please).

Also, I think if you stand anywhere, Matt's side will be the worst for pushing. I was on the side with Chris and most of the wave of pressure was moving its way from the left, where Matt was. Of course, this was Vegas and the underage crowd were partying it up and two chicks were even duking it out in the crowd near us fighting over a guy I guess. One poor girl even went into an epileptic seizure! Poor thing. Also, as solarbell said, you WILL sweat and get other people's sweat on you. Drink plenty of water during the day. Get drunk after the show. Don't bother with perfect hair and looking like a hottie for the guys. By the time you are done in the pit, your mascara will be down your cheek, the hair in a tangled mess and look like you have been through the "apocolypse" (I just had to say it). Put hair in a ponytail and be done with it! Plus, it will keep you cooler.

Also, bring hand sanitizer with you. You can get staph infections and other bodily fluid-transferred viruses from coming into such close contact with sweaty skin. Wear long sleeves and pants if possible to reduce your risk!

I agree... NO HEELS! Plus, they can stab another person's foot. Girls, wear Sheer Energy panty hose to keep the circulation going in the legs when standing around alot. I wore them and my trusty Keds and my legs felt great. I forgot my gel inserts, so my feet soles were a little sore. :)

Fairfax, VA (by Washington D.C.) will be interesting though. I went to three concerts while here so far and let me tell you, nobody really lets loose around here. I think this might mean that the pit at the Patriot Center will be more "tame" compared to other areas. I was at the Cure, and someone actually told me to please sit down so she could enjoy the show! (the pit had folding chairs for that show). LOL!

Edited by Iburnslikethesun

• 2 weeks later...
What do you do about eyeglasses? I have never worn contact lenses and don't want to start now. I cannot see well without glasses, so I'll need to wear them. But how do I make sure I don't lose them in the pit while jumping up and down? Any ideas?

I asked that exact same question on this thread! :chuckle: But i am more worried about them getting knocked off, rather than flying off.

Here's my question and repsonses:

Percentage-wise, what are the chances that my glasses will get broken? I don't have contacts, and I kinda like to see. :erm: I've been wanting new ones, so I guess I don't care that much if they get pulverized. :)

they'll stay on your head, I promise! unless you get involved in moshing then there will be a huge chance they'll fly off.

50/50. I wear glasses, never worn contacts ever. I almost broke my glasses as several gigs (Muse gigs are tame compared to most I attend), but as long as you're aware of the people around you (particularly crowd surfers), you'll survive. Duck and cover!

worthwhile, actually, going and getting them tightened up before you go, and I'm wondering how good a string-thing would be? Would look a dick with a headband on maybe but might be worth it? I wear contacts mostly, just thinking about what I'd do if I had to wear my specs

Very helpful thread... Woo, so I'm going to my first gig in Boston on March 6th, and I'm scared as hell :D Long story short, I'm just about 4' 9", skinny (but surprisingly strong), and 14 years old as of the concert. I'm going with my mom who's only 5' so that still doesn't help... So I have a few questions that I don't think I saw answers to yet!

- Are people relatively easy to make friends with? It would be even better to meet some people from the boards but even, oh say... tall muscular strangers, is it easy to make friends and watch each others backs? Because I'm definitely gonna need it on the floor :LOL:

- When you say it's best to get there early... what is considered "early"? because I do have my limits, but I still want a pretty decent spot where I'll be able to see. It won't kill me if I don't get up front, but I'm probably the shortest one attending this..

- Aaaaand last but not least... What side is Chris expected to be on?? Not only is he my favorite, but everyone's saying it's a bit more calm over near him. Calm = good. OR even, "I'm gonna get the crap beat out of me and everything is gonna be sore, but my head will still be attached to my neck enough that I'll be able to live a few more years" = good. Anything is better than the pit :$ I'd get destroyed in the pit.

And if any one of those gets answered, I'll just may not crap my pants before I go :D

- Aaaaand last but not least... What side is Chris expected to be on??

Can't answer the others as I haven't done it myself but Chris is always on the right as you look at the stage, and that's prolly where I'd head for too, I luffs me some Chris cool :D

Another question. Where should I avoid standing? Is the middle okay if I can't get right up front? Will I be able to see? (i'm 5'6'' btw)

If you don't want to be crushed, I'd try and avoid Bellamy's side. Chris' side isn't as bad usually but the middle will be fine. I'm 5'7 and I can usually see fine. Just be aware that sometimes with the movement of the crowd there is a chance someone tall might stand in front of you.

Can't answer the others as I haven't done it myself but Chris is always on the right as you look at the stage, and that's prolly where I'd head for too, I luffs me some Chris cool :D

Ok, thank you, that's what I was most worried about... I just don't want to be stuck in the pits or smashed up against (as many) crazy homicidal maniacs when I go to this. The goal is no broken bones :LOL:... Yay for Chris love!

What is the general GA size? I'm gonna be showing up at about 4 to queue up and would like to know if I can get even slightly decent spots.

GA sizes usually vary from place to place but they are usually a decent size.I think on the floor though you can always get a decent spot.

Im short so I don't get in the middle, I find a spot off to the side or in the back and usually have a decent view that way.

Solorbell's post pretty much somes it up, if people are being rude on purpose use your common sense to sort it out. If you're honestly worried about that, stay at the side though be warned, people who stand right by the side or further back don't tend to jump around etc.. as much as people at the front so it is all down to the kind of vibe you are after. You will always get people pushing past, it can get annoying but it always happens at gigs, like solorbell says, it can seem rough because they have little space to move and are being pushed by other people. Being at the barrier is usually ok, as you can hold onto it. I've had experiences being at the barrier/just behind it where it has been extremely rough to not rough at all. It's really hard to tell what it will be like, the roughest being Wembley Stadium, I couldn't stand up properly and people's hands were getting crushed, I just called security and they yelled at people to move back, I think there were people at the back of the golden circle sorting it out, the most laid back experience was at Teignmouth I was one person behind the barrier and it was so quiet, well everyone around me were enjoying themselves but there was so much space, did not get squashed one bit, I do think this is because the majority of people who were there were locals and it was their first gig experience because it's really rare for bands to play in the south west of England. So it all depends. I tend to have more fun, a bit further back from the front near the side, you get a good view and you can mingle with the fronties going mad and what not. Back of Golden Circles are perfect for that but they are usually present at much bigger venues.

/rant

PS. I also suggest Chris's side, his is usually the calmest and people always rush for Matt and middle first