329 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Showbiz?

• 1 Star
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 5 Stars

4 stars

Good things about the album - It's one of the best debut albums I've heard. It does a good job showing the many sides of Muse. Some of them are dark and powerful, others are upbeat and catchy, and some are quiet and soft.

Bad things about the album - A couple of the upbeat songs range from average to just plain bad. One of them is currently the only Muse song I don't like.

Best track - Spiral Static

Worst track - Overdue

Favorite moment - The intro of Spiral Static

3/5 - but only to put it in context with my other ratings. I'd normally give it 4/5, but it's not as good as Absolution or Resistance which I also gave 4 to. However it's as good or better than BH&R which I also gave 3 for the same reasons!

Good things about the album: It contains some really good tracks and is still one of my favourite albums to come out of the 90's.

Bad things about the album: Inconsistent and a lack of variation. It has been easily (if I feel unfairly) overshadowed by their later stuff, and features some laughably bad lyrics.

Best tracks: Showbiz, Sunburn, Fillip, Cave, Muscle Museum (Spiral Static).

Worst tracks: I'm actually struggling here, as I don't think there are any genuinely bad tracks! Although I still like them, i'll put Overdue, Sober, and Uno.

Favourite moment: The Guitar solo in Sunburn, and the final juddering shrieks in Showbiz.

I'd give it 3,5/5 (cant decide for a 3 or 4, so)

Decent debut, already showed they contained more than just putting on the distortion pedal and use typical chords. If you don't believe me, just look at their musical evolution;)

Favourite songs are: Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Showbiz and Unintended (Spiral Static, too)

Worst songs are: Sober (sounds too '90s like for me)

Favourite moment of the album: Muscle Museum (it's like a big FY towards everyone that never believed in them) + Showbiz, especially when it gets harder

and 5 points go toooo.....showbiz. because it´s perfect. in my opinion the most emotial muse record, and that´s the thing to judge, i guess.

Good things about the album very honest, quite fast and colorful

Bad things about the album

Best track sunburn, sober

Worst track let´s say the less perfect one is uno

Favourite moment unintended and then the up-beat sober, such a perfect order

5*

Its my favourite album, Shame I didn't know of them when they were touring with it :(

Good things about the album The emotion, Theres not so much emotion in any of their other albums. Escape and Falling Down are maybe the most emotional songs I've ever heard from any band.

Bad things about the album Matt's guitar parts aren't fully Matt. A bit shitty in places.

Best track Escape. My favourite Muse song.

Worst track Spiral Static if you count it. Sober if you don't

Favourite moment "I take back everything I said, I didn't realise I was talking to the living dead" I was in awe with that lyric for ages when I first heard it.

3/5

Good things about the albumGood basis for the band to build on (OoS spawned from this)

Some nice riffage

Lack of consistency

Many 'fillers'

Best tracks

Showbiz, Muscle Museum, HT&ILY, Sunburn

Worst tracks

Overdue, Sober

Favourite moment

Scream in Showbiz

Good things about the album- The first time we heard Muse! Matts early voice simply amazing! never reach some of those songs ever again!

Bad things about the album- Couple of fillers, unlike a Muse album

Best track- Showbiz

Worst track- Overdue

Favourite moment- Showbiz- seeing it live twice, incredible song, the falsetto at the end is pure magic!

I think to review this album properly you had to do it at the time of release. I remember getting it when it came out and being blown away by it simply because it was a young band with so much ambtiion and great tunes. Then I got hold of a Plug In Baby promo and Showbiz kind of paled into insignificance.

5 stars!!

Good things about the album

-Very riffy album, very raw sound, and you have to realize they wrote most of this music around the age of late teens and early 20's... Their music was very mature for their age.

-I have no complaints about this album.

Best track

-The entire cd is good, but if I had to pick I would say showbiz, they made a masterpiece out of just a few lyrics.

Favorite moment - The epic ending of hate this and I'll love you.

• 6 months later...

3 stars. My third favourite Muse album

good things about the album - probably the best flow of any Muse album - you couldn't possibly put the tracks in any other order. Some great tunes, a lot of emotion in a few songs.

Bad things about the album - lacks polish. Production is obviously very amateur and lyrics aren't very good. Has a few weak songs.

Fave song: showbiz, one of the six or seven songs on my constant rotation of favourite songs.

Least favourite: overdue, next to nothing happens for two and a half minutes. Would get less than 5/10 were it not fir the verses and the last chorus. Having said that, I think the extended version of this song is pretty good.

Favourite moment: the guitar solo, vocal solo and that fantastic final note in "Showbiz". Unbelievable!

4 stars. =)

Good things about the album: I think Matt's vocals are great in this album. In songs like Unintended, he sings like he means every word. =)

Bad things about the album: Inconsistency. =/ There are some songs I tend to skip a lot.

Best track: Showbiz, definitely.

Worst track: Overdue.

Favourite moments:

Falsetto in Spiral Static and Showbiz. =)

Unintended chorus, gets me every time.

Beginning of Escape =)

gave it 5 cuz I thought I was rating the song, but the album i'd give a 4.

Good things: amazing debut, love how you can hear matt's accent:happy:

Bad Things: the way matt says "to me it is new" in Fillip. it's like 'neeyooo'. bugs me everytime. also spiral static (the best muse song) was cut:mad:

Best Song: Showbiz, closely followed by Unintended and Falling Down

Worst Song: tie between Overdue and Muscle Museum, though leaning towards Overdue

As an album? I give it a four. It's my second favorite album by them, and I would rate OoS and all 5s too....but in terms of quality, it's a four. In terms of enjoyment and all, a 5 for me. If that makes sense :$

Favorite songs: Showbiz and Falling Down

Least favorite: Sunburn and Sober

OK here's my Showbiz track by track review.

The debut album of Muse opens with that beautiful piano riff (for lack of a better word) of "Sunburn" before the drums kick in and the bass and you realise this is not just another run of the mill alternative band - these guys are something special. Highlights of this song include the opening chorus and the absolute passion he sings "She burns like the sun", the little guitar tiff between the chorus and second verse, the baseline during the line before the verses, that terrific guitar solo and the piano outro. A delight from start to finish.

Next we have the impressive "Muscle Museum" which is probably best known for the confusing lyrics "I have played in every toilet" (ok not that confusing but still a huge :wtf: moment) starting off with that awesome bassline and then the spanish sounding riff. The chorus once again is sung with passion compared with the softer verses (actually that could be said for a majority if songs in this album). This is a very simple sounding song but still absolutely awesome especially the build up into the chorus. The final chorus then extends into that lyrical solo that can only be described as "wow". Ok, so that's not technically a word but still, it is at least an octave higher than the "oohs" in the first chorus then you realise he songs so close to the microphone it gives the effect he is singing it another octave higher. It can even been mistaken for a guitar or feedback it sounds so high. Then the outro sounds like carousel music before fading away gently into the static, feedback of the intro of:

"Fillip", to me this song doesn't have much going on. This does sound like a generic rock song although it is still good. Until that is the middle section where the piano comes in, this part is hauntingly beautiful and really gives the song an extra lift. I also love the build up back into the final chorus with it getting faster and faster until Natt just launches into the final chorus and his final high note. then more feedback to finish the song off before:

"Falling Down" which sounds like it might be a ballad with it's slow rhythm and bluesy melody. This song has some beautiful falsetto in it, the chorus is very nice - I particularly like the piano here. I love how the entire first verse and chorus us sift and gentle and then after the second verse the chorus is a little heavier. I love the way he sings "wasn't you" with such passion (I use that word a lot) and then the third verse and third chorus are even louder still - even the piano picks up here and gets much more intense until the final verse which just sounds so heartbreaking and sad. Beautiful song. Following this of course is the opening feedback/distortion of:

"Cave" which has that wonderful riff before the verse starts. I love the piano all through this song you barely notice - very clever. The chorus as usual is louder and makes the song stand out. It seems like a nice rocky number until the end if the second chorus when you hear the song slow right down but instead of stopping we have that beautiful piano solo - this is my favourite piano solo in any Muse song because it is so perfect in here and I love the vocalizing in the last part as well as the guitar and drums kicking in. I also love how that final hiss of feedback rubs right into the opening drums of:

"Showbiz" which as mentioned earlier is on my rotation if favourite Muse songs. The repetition may get a little annoying to someone but if you really listen, the first verse and chorus is sort if setting the scene as the vocals and gradual drumming and guitar build up and then get heavier until we establish a solid rhythm in the second verse. Love that lyric "visions of greed you wallow" and the way he sings it then the big breath he takes before belting our "they make meeeeeeeeeeeaaaaarggghaaaaaaaaa" then that guitar part before the final verse where he sings with more intent as though trying to drive the point hone. Even though they are the same lyrics as the first verse the way he sings it make it sound as though he is singing something else. Then of course we have the epic and typically Muse guitar solo and then - I love this vocal solo, it is my favourite one in any Muse song as it sounds do meaningful and that final note - if that doesn't leave the hairs on the back of your neck standing up I don't know what will. Finally that drum beat dies away into the softer and more mellow opening of:

"Unintended", which is a gorgeous song, yes it is a love song but it doesn't feel cheesy and sappy like say NCS or guiding light. I love the drum beat immediately before the second verse. I also love the completely unexpected line at the end: "Before you...." - that to me helped me really relate to this song and therefore love it even more. I love the way he gies to falsetto to the last few notes of each chorus too - makes it sound more human. Then we have that beautiful outro with yet more "oohs" over it. Lovely. A vast contrast to the brash and in your face:

"Uno" which begins with that guitar intro laced with harmonics and then the awesome riff starts before the very bluesy sounding verses. Of course this is as always followed by the explosion into the chorus with "you couldve been number one" as if to really establish his intent. He must have despised whomever this song was about. The final chorus is even more loud and intense leading into that wicked riff to close the song before the opening few bars of:

"Sober" which is a fun song, with a groovy tune, especially love that spacey bit before the second verse and some truly perplexing lyrics (not to mention inaudible) - I also love the bar or two of bass at the start of the chorus. Then we have that cool solo in the middle too with the wah-wah effect and the distortion, I like how the guitar maintains the same meoldy throughout it with a slight change in the second half before the final verse -love the drums here before it picks up and blasts that final chorus. Yet another abrupt ending and it's finshed. Good fun! Yet again, we have a very mellow intro of:

"Escape" to follow. Again, this sounds like a bit of a ballad but the lyrics then seem a bit different (not to mention gramatically incorrect). And of course that pre-chorus is beautiful before the chorus that just explodes with rage - especially love Chris' backing "ooh-ooh-ooh" before "I take back all the things that I said". The lyrics just hit you for six, they are so brutal. I lice the guitar solo here too - sounds just as vicious and angry as the whole dong. Then the final verse which is mellow once more and calms right down. I love and again can relate to this song and thing it may be one if their moat underrated. This song runs perfectly into:

"Overdue" which is the weakest song on the album but still great. Love the guitar at the start of the verses. Love the line "I'm young but I know that I'm aroused" and love the extended final chorus with the screams and "ahhhs" - again, love Chris' backing vocals here too but to me this song is too generic to be anything more special. Even though I love it, this is my least favourite Muse song. then after it finishes we hear the crickets chirping at the start if the closer:

"Hate this and I'll love you" which from the title alone you can tell will be an angsty number. Love the mandolin or whatever instrument that is at the start. Love the build up to the second chorus where the song just explodes before the painful sounding "you led me on" - it just breaks your heart. Love the little guitar riff just before the solo which is very bluesy and melancholy at first before the drums kick back in and those awesome guitar strums come in leading us into yet another angst-filled chorus and those "yeah-hehhaah"s at the end - also love the sustainment abs distortion on the guitar during the final moments before the mandolin (?) outro and those crickets close the album perfectly. This was the third album I ever listened to of Muse but had it been the first you wiyld've known these guys were something special!

3 Stars

Good: Shows pure emotion, some good buildups

Bad: A bunch of really unoriginal songs with screaming and no direction.

Best moment: High note in Cave

Best Song: Unintended-simple, moment of happiness in an album of whining

Worst-All but Sunburn, Cave, Showbiz, Unintended, Falling down, Escape

I gave it 4 stars.

Good Things: I think Showbiz is one of those albums that kind of grows on you. It's a good debut album in that it gives you a preview of what's to come--Matt's vocals, the guitar riffs, the use of piano...the overall Muse "sound" just appears and beats you over the head.

Bad Things: Some of the lyrics are angsty and repetitive, there's some "decent" music on Showbiz, almost like filler.

Best Track: Muscle Museum, Sunburn, Uno, Showbiz, Escape, Unintended.

Worst Track: I know a lot of people like it, but I've never liked Filip.

Favorite Moment: The first 25 seconds or so of Muscle Museum. Gets me every time. :\mm/: Also, the way Matt cries, "She burns like the sun..." I don't understand how people cannot love that man's voice.

2.5/5

Good Things: It's like The Bends, heavier, a bit fun. Uno is pretty great, so is Sunburn and Showbiz. Matt's falsetto is great.

Bad Things: Shit lyrics, repetitive songs, lots of filler, Matt's voice is a bit immature and odd sounding

Best Track: Uno, Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Fillip

Worst Track: Escape, Sober,

Favorite Moment: The opening to Uno. So brutal.

4/5

Good things about the album: 90's feel, but still not the terrible "90's feel".

Bad things about the album: Very simple, while emotional, yet somewhat unrelatable.

Best track: Showbiz and Sober

Worst track: Falling Down

Favourite moment: The piano in Sunburn and Matt's general vocal styles in Sober.

Archived