Greeting Earthlings, I have a kit question.

Basically, I'm gonna get me a MIM Strat, but I'm not sure whether to go for the HSS version for a bit more beef [i play stuff like ACDC, Muse, Green Day, Led, Queen, Arctic Monkey's, Wombats, and heavier rock on occasion, but I haz my Les Paul for that].

As I said, I do have my smexy LP, but for standing up and playing it hurts to use for too long [i'm a tender man and it can get annoying having to sit down at band practice and shizniz], and I've always wanted a proper Fender strat [although US Strats are out of the question price-wise :LOL:], so for my style it would be better to go with a HSS.

However, I hear that HSS bridge pups aren't the best and Humbuckers in Strats are pointless [although probably from the mouths of SSS purists], and that SSS configs are just as versatile [bias acknowledged].

If that's the case, then I should just upgrade pups when I get it right? Well either way I'd upgrade the bridge be it HSS or SSS as I'd want something a little hotter in the bridge, but wouldn't that mean I'd have to change the pots to something like 500k in the SSS?

I'm waffling and probably don't make much sense, but basically, HSS or SSS? And also what should I be looking to stick in the bridge? I'll probably use a Duncan, but the page with all their samples on has nothing on the HumCoil hybrids [ie. Little JB]...

Or should I just scrap everything and get a telecaster and shove a bigsby on it for whammy purposes?

Cheers folks <3

Get an HSS Strat with a 5-way switch and mod it with a coil tap on the bridge p/u. Best of everything:

-single-coil middle and neck p/us will still give you the John Mayer Signature Hendrixy quack in the 4th position

-coil tap on the bridge p/u means you can switch to a pseudo-single coil sound, so it's basically like having both.

Ohai.

Yeah I would put a +1 in for HSS Strats. My main guitar for years was a Les Paul, but I hardly ever play it now that I have the Strat. Good call on the coil tap Jimbo, but to be honest you don't even really need it, as long as you don't have a really shitty Humbucker in the bridge you can still get plenty of nice round tones from (bare in mind that a lot of it is coming from your amp, so take the time to find some nice settings there rather than just expecting the pickup to do the work for you).

The only thing you'll probably find puts you off is squeal from the single coils, particularly the neck, when you ramp up the gain a bit, but again you can control that once you get used to it.

But yeah, basically I don't think you'd be disappointed with a HSS. I feel a little guilty that I don't play my Les Paul much anymore, but the HSS really covers a lot of ground and does it really well.

418012_10150740826184377_675004376_12472386_128879429_n.jpg

Question regarding the volume of my rig...

Alright. I'm currently running my guitars through several pedals and into the clean channel of a Marshall solid state amp (or a 5w single channel valve amp). I have Fuzz, Overdrive, Clean Boost and Distortion, as well as Delay and Wah.

My problem is that I can never get a consistent volume level out of my gear. If one thing needs to go up, I end up having to tweak all of the pedals and the amp to get it all around the same level.

Are there any quick fixes to this? I have an effects loop build into the Marshall if that's any help. I also have an expression pedal (which I've just tried to use for volume but my amps don't have an expression pedal output). I've also thought about buying a compressor, but I'm not sure how effective that'd be.

For the record, what is the purpose of an effects loop and why would I use one? :$:ninja:

IntelligentAl - Do you find you have a noticeable difference in volume between the p'ups in your HSS Strat?

Guest Batman.
Question regarding the volume of my rig...

Alright. I'm currently running my guitars through several pedals and into the clean channel of a Marshall solid state amp (or a 5w single channel valve amp). I have Fuzz, Overdrive, Clean Boost and Distortion, as well as Delay and Wah.

My problem is that I can never get a consistent volume level out of my gear. If one thing needs to go up, I end up having to tweak all of the pedals and the amp to get it all around the same level.

Are there any quick fixes to this? I have an effects loop build into the Marshall if that's any help. I also have an expression pedal (which I've just tried to use for volume but my amps don't have an expression pedal output). I've also thought about buying a compressor, but I'm not sure how effective that'd be.

For the record, what is the purpose of an effects loop and why would I use one? :$:ninja:

IntelligentAl - Do you find you have a noticeable difference in volume between the p'ups in your HSS Strat?

Don't care if you weren't asking me, I shall answer the last part.

Generally pickups are selected specifically to match each other in volume. In my HSS strat, all the pickups are pretty much equal in volume.

Generally pickups are selected specifically to match each other in volume. In my HSS strat, all the pickups are pretty much equal in volume.

No worries ;) Ah right, interesting. I find the volume between the pickups in my Yamaha Pacifica differs a little too much. I think that's probably because it's a Pacifica :facepalm:

Guest Batman.
No worries ;) Ah right, interesting. I find the volume between the pickups in my Yamaha Pacifica differs a little too much. I think that's probably because it's a Pacifica :facepalm:

Mines a Squier :LOL:

It's quite difficult to choose the right pickups sometimes, as the bridge pickup has to be louder generally, to counteract the strings not vibrating as much the closer they get to the bridge. I'm not sure if humbuckers are louder than single coils actually.. Really can't remember much about this sort of thing for some reason :LOL:

Let me have my moment.

Actually no, I find they're pretty evenly matched. As long as you don't have an uber high output humbucker and an uber low output single coil or vice versa, you really won't notice that much difference.

noobing...

An effects loop is a point ini your amps signal path between the pre-amp and the power amp. You can insert effects here if you'd like them to be after your pre-amp. Typically this would be rack-mounted units designed to run at line level but there are no rules.

Your peddles are fine infront of the amp

Set your pedal volumes individually so that they match the output of your guitar on clean. You should be able to turn each one on and off with no difference in perception of level. Now try them in the chain. You might find certain combinations of peddles give you level problems, in which case you're probably fucked.

Most expression peddles are volume peddles as well, with mono in/out. Just use it like a standard peddle. It won't help your volume issues though

Set your pedal volumes individually so that they match the output of your guitar on clean. You should be able to turn each one on and off with no difference in perception of level. Now try them in the chain. You might find certain combinations of peddles give you level problems, in which case you're probably fucked.

That was what you were looking for weren't you? And that's what you should do. Stacking pedals is probably going to increase your volume. That shouldn't be a problem too much as overdriven/fuzzy sounds tend to drown a bit compared to your clean sound. (only if you get ridiculous volume balance issues). Also, check out the order of your effects.

actually i'm not done with your quick question, let me make a simple suggestion Jack

Try repressin' that agression back, suppressin' your withering attack

Take a second before assessin' your tack, are you impressin' or just a ball-sack?

So like any other transgression I can't cut you any slack;

only cut you down in an expression of rap.

just 'cos yo mama's so poor they're reposessin' her flat,

you can't afford a whammy and your best peddle's a RAT,

you have no concept of gain-staging and play a HSS strat

ain't no reason to come to KnT and act a twat

Oh there was no need to answer your fucking question? I didn't realise, I do apologise. Next time you're typing out a question you might want to remember to not waste other people's precious fucking time.

:LOL: That's exactly what I thought. Nice rap, btw.

Hey Jack, generally when you add OD and fuzz into a chain you want (and you get) a volume boost. I only set my mod and delay effects to unity gain, drives and fuzzes should have a slight boost.

Now don't waste any more of Chedda's fucking time.

Guest Batman.
Oh there was no need to answer your fucking question? I didn't realise, I do apologise. Next time you're typing out a question you might want to remember to not waste other people's precious fucking time.

This is what I was thinking too, but I wasn't sure if he meant it in a 'Awhhh thanks, you shouldn't have, you're too kind!' way, or a 'I'm a cockend' way.

Wow...

This is what I was thinking too, but I wasn't sure if he meant it in a 'Awhhh thanks, you shouldn't have, you're too kind!' way, or a 'I'm a cockend' way.

I was merely referring to the noobing comment. No need to go on such an attack. But worry not! Next time I'll remember that I'm not worthy of your time ;)

actually i'm not done with your quick question, let me make a simple suggestion Jack

Try repressin' that agression back, suppressin' your withering attack

Take a second before assessin' your tack, are you impressin' or just a ball-sack?

So like any other transgression I can't cut you any slack;

only cut you down in an expression of rap.

just 'cos yo mama's so poor they're reposessin' her flat,

you can't afford a whammy and your best peddle's a RAT,

you have no concept of gain-staging and play a HSS strat

ain't no reason to come to KnT and act a twat

Although factually incorrect, it was a good effort. 6.5/10.

oh right, I should have quoted your half page post

your noobish ramblings are more worthy than most

asking "what's an effects loop?" really keeps us engrossed

get a fucking sense of humour and take your roast

'cos I answered every aspect of your brainless inquiry

even though it angers me I did it politely

If I asked questions like that at work they'd fucking fire me

So not surprisingly, my temper's long since passed its expiry

"no need for that, but thanks for the answers"

"cheers for your response, sorry i'm part of the cancer"

"that was awesome Cheddatom, i'm a total wanker"

Any of the above would have sufficed as a thank-ya

oh right, I should have quoted your half page post

your noobish ramblings are more worthy than most

asking "what's an effects loop?" really keeps us engrossed

get a fucking sense of humour and take your roast

'cos I answered every aspect of your brainless inquiry

even though it angers me I did it politely

If I asked questions like that at work they'd fucking fire me

So not surprisingly, my temper's long since passed its expiry

"no need for that, but thanks for the answers"

"cheers for your response, sorry i'm part of the cancer"

"that was awesome Cheddatom, i'm a total wanker"

Any of the above would have sufficed as a thank-ya

This forum :erm:

Yes my question may have been pretty 'brainless' to someone like yourself, but perhaps you'd like to meet the fact that people do not know as much as you with a bit less arrogance?

I appreciate the fact you shared your knowledge, but is there really any need to be so obnoxious?

I fail to see how noob is humorous. It's not 2002 any more.

The bolded part is what I effectively said. So I really don't see your problem.

no problem, I just like rapping, almost as much as I like fapping which is more than I like tapping your mum's ass, I know that's crass but when I smash that ass fast and blast a load it sets off her gas and covers my balls with spunk, I wipe it on your bunk, so no surprise you stunk like a dead skunk I left for a month in a trunk

fuck, I have work to do. I might finish that later.

Chill Jack, it's not a personal attack,

just a bit of fun why don't you write a rap back?

This forum :erm:

Yes my question may have been pretty 'brainless' to someone like yourself, but perhaps you'd like to meet the fact that people do not know as much as you with a bit less arrogance?

I appreciate the fact you shared your knowledge, but is there really any need to be so obnoxious?

I fail to see how noob is humorous. It's not 2002 any more.

The bolded part is what I effectively said. So I really don't see your problem.

Seriously, if you can't handle your long post being summarized by the word noobing you should go back to the my little pony website... there friendship truly is magic. Here's it just a regular cockslap in the face.

Archived