are muse the new pink floyd?

spareflyer

No, they're not.

More importantly, why should they have to be the new anything?

Pink Floyd and Muse are both awesome bands, but they don't need to precede/succeed each other in any way, shape or form, imo. They're awesome as they are, and I love them both :yesey:

Though... Pink Floyd a wee bit more :LOL:

I see.

Hmm... I've never been to either a Muse or Pink Floyd concert, (so my opinion is null and void now lol) but I'd say that like... no, Muse are not the new Pink Floyd.

There will be no new Pink Floyd just as there will be no new Muse. They're both gonna go down in history as legendary bands/acts/etc but... that doesn't make them... the same or anything imo.

I've seen both live (Pink Floyd in the 80s then again in 1994) and I enjoyed seeing Muse live far more than Pink Floyd simply because they have a far greater stage presence. I don't mean the peripherals, I mean the way in which Matt energises the gigs.

I thoroughly enjoy the music of both bands and have been listening to Pink Floyd since I was a little girl in the 70s, it was what my parents listened to almost every day so it was inevitable I'd become a fan.

I don't think Muse are the new anything and I don't believe they are more/less talented than PF.

In terms of "progressiveness," yes. But they're two different bands. Pink Floyd are important to the development of music. I think Muse are taking it forward even further.

But you can't really see Muse as the "new" Floyd. They're Muse - no one else, and that's why I love them :D

Besides, they're better anyway :p:D:ninja:

No. Porcupine Tree are :LOL:

I don't want Muse to be like teh Floyd anyway. I love both but they are very different bands.

Muse are hardly like them at all actually apart from their interest in random instruments and progressiveness...which Floyd have a lot more of.

Muse are much more bombastic and a better question would have been "Are Muse the new Queen?"

They aren't that either but it'd still be a good debate.

No. There isn't a new Pink Floyd. For a start, Roger Waters was (maybe still is, but he hasn't released an album since 1991) an incredible lyricist who actually wrote songs with substance, whereas Matt Bellamy's lyrics are usually laughable at best. The only link is that Storm Thorgerson has provided artwork for both bands.

Neither band is progressive, by the way. Pink Floyd have about six genuinely progressive songs, formulating a very small percentage of their repertoire. You can only consider them a prog band if you completley ignore the vast majority of their songs.

Archived