No-one walked off near me. I was right up at the front. Muse came on after the Arctic Monkeys, who were super-hot then. AM were good but they had big breaks between songs, when they seemed really amateur. When Muse came on they played their songs one after the other, wham-bang thank-you ma'am, no let up, they were so much in a different league in terms of professionalism and performance. FG and Invincible each could've fitted into the gaps into the AM set. The crowd up at the front were really mashed together and it was great. The only people who left were the fainters who were carried out.

And anyway I LIKE INVINCIBLE !

:LOL:

It was a blindin' show, can't BEELEEEVE it was 10 years ago... I shared a vid of it the other day and they look so young.

That's what I was thinking.

If you can't go to a gig and have 1-2 songs you don't care for without walking off, that's pretty sad.

I can't remember once going to any gig where there wasn't a song I disliked, and I didn't stand there and boo, or run off. People actually booed at my first Muse gig; it was appalling.

And Muse is the sort of band that caters to that bullshit, trying to play just stuff everyone and their grandma recognizes here, and that's just adding to the cycle of pathetic.

To be fair though it was a festival, there were loads of other bands to go see :D can't remember who was on at the same time! I've often gone and seen half of each set if there's two bands on that I'm vaguely interested in.

That's fair if there's other bands to see.

When you've paid to see one particular band, I find booing and walking out and such to be pretty intolerable, unless the band has done something shitty other than just playing a song you don't like.

I thought Philly was a piss poor effort all around from Muse, and honestly they didn't feel like they really were putting the effort in at all, besides the horrible setlist.

But I'm not going to boo or heckle the damn band, still. Hell, I clapped and cheered like I was having a good time.

(...and then just bitch about it where they don't see it. :ninja::chuckle: )

:LOL:

It was a blindin' show, can't BEELEEEVE it was 10 years ago... I shared a vid of it the other day and they look so young.

To be fair though it was a festival, there were loads of other bands to go see :D can't remember who was on at the same time! I've often gone and seen half of each set if there's two bands on that I'm vaguely interested in.

10 years yes Good God!

I do and see bits of sets earlier in the day when its a festival. But for the headliner, I usually stick to one... takes too long to get from one stage to another when its rammed, and I like to be up front. And the bands are crafty, they save that song you've just GOT to see till last. ;)

The last festival I went to was Lolla in like '03 or something. The way all the bands overlapped meant I missed big chunks of each set navigating back and forth, and sacrificed seeing some bands I'd really been looking forward to, or just caught the beginning or end of their set.

Between that, the extreme heat (Houston in the summer,) $6 water, and the massive crowds, I decided that festivals just weren't worth my time and money.

Yeah I've had enough of the big commercial ones now. I did reading every single year between 2000 and 2008, skipped a couple and did 2011 for the Origin of Symmetry anniversary <3, but yeah, haven't been fussed at all since then, about any festival. They've all changed a LOT in my time, for the worse. :(

I can even remember a time shortly after it came out when people said The Resistance was a return to form after Black Holes. Not quite a popular opinion now. :chuckle:

Invincible wasn't Muse's best song, but I'd rather have that then sodding Resistance, UD, Madness or Revolt.

I think the problem for most people is the massive overplaying of these songs. Madness and Revolt is understandable they stick around as they are one of their bigges hits and a single of their new album, nothing wrong about that.

On the other hand songs like Resistance or UD are absolutely pointless 2 tours later. In their last stadium tour we had the Unintented - Blackout - Guiding Light - UD run which was an absolute cheesfest, and in some cases like mine Feeling Good and USOE previously in the set... but in a context of 25 songs and not 16 like these days, is not that bad.

Edited by White Heat

I don't think it's that bad, in all honesty. And that's after seeing them 5 times in less than a week.

Resistance gets some of the biggest reactions from what I've seen/heard, so I can understand them keeping that around. Out of the big hits, Starlight and maybe TIRO could do with being rotated just to freshen them up a bit (for audiences and the band) but they weren't bad, bar Matt's awkward dad-dancing during the former. Ending with KOC at every gig has been losing it's impact for quite a while now as well, as good as the band think it is in that spot, but I usually just start leaving at that point tbh.

The only songs that I think genuinely serve no purpose and are better off gone completely are UD and Blackout, the latter of which is pretty much dead as it is. Even Feeling Good got the best reaction out of all the piano songs I saw that week, including CE.

Edited by Jobby

I agree, and have always done; there's no reason the band should take out songs that older/longer term/go to tons of shows fans find "stale."

They get huge reactions every single time. A lot of people would be very unhappy going to a gig and not getting something that's as massive of a radio hit as Starlight, SMBH, etc.

But, like the band has done at nearly every non-US gig, throwing in a couple of rarer songs, "deep cuts" or whatever the hell you want to call them, makes a gig that everyone should be able to enjoy.

(And not acting like it's killing them to get through a gig...)

Having not gone to a lot of gigs in the last decade or so, and having seen four different bands in the last couple of weeks... wow, Matt *is* awkward as fuck on stage.

It's a marvel he's gotten away with that for so long.

Compare the setlist tonight with the one from the 17th...

Compare them both to Radiohead's :ninja:

In all seriousness though, that's Muse innit, nothing surprising there. Even in Europe, there's bound to be the odd stinker every now and again.

do I smell a dvd gig?

European setlists always made me depressed, tbh.

I only checked in to see YT vids of songs I'll never see. Dark times when they start getting blocked.

Download them while you can! clipconverter is the answer.