Revolt as new single!

Nature2

I guess what I don't get is, ignoring the perceived quality of the songs, the idea that because something's a single it has to be poppy. Like when Dead Inside first came out, people were saying "well it's a single, what do you expect?". There are plenty of bands whose singles aren't poppy and Muse used to release songs like New Born and Stockholm Syndrome.

I do love some of Muse's pop songs though so I'm not complaining.

I'm with the ones who think it's gonna work well as a single. It's catchy as fuck, and radio seems to love that nowadays.

Also, and I think I've said this in another thread, it's not THAT bad. I get why there are a lot of people disliking (even hating) this song, but come on, Muse have done way worse things.

Your name makes this reply even better.

:LOL:

People seem to have the idea that pop songs like One Direction are more popular among people, but I don't think this is he case. People still really love rock. I know that literally everyone I know would prefer to here Reapers on the radio over Revolt. Revolt is pretty forgettable, to be perfectly honest. Reapers stands out more and I'm pretty sure more people will love it. I don't understand where this perception that the majority prefer poppy songs to rock comes from. In my experience, people get excited if AC/DC or The Killers comes on, but not any pop song, other than the occasional Uptown Funk type thing.

People seem to have the idea that pop songs like One Direction are more popular among people, but I don't think this is he case. People still really love rock. I know that literally everyone I know would prefer to here Reapers on the radio over Revolt. Revolt is pretty forgettable, to be perfectly honest. Reapers stands out more and I'm pretty sure more people will love it. I don't understand where this perception that the majority prefer poppy songs to rock comes from. In my experience, people get excited if AC/DC or The Killers comes on, but not any pop song, other than the occasional Uptown Funk type thing.

Take a look at the charts.

You seem to use the people you know as a barometer for popular opinion quite often. I'm not having a go but that's not really the most reliable source. Friends and family tend to have stuff in common, so most of you liking similar kinds of music isn't really a surprise.

Like the guy above me said - look at the charts, single sales, YT hits of popular artists like 1D and Taylor Swift compared with Muse.

You seem to use the people you know as a barometer for popular opinion quite often. I'm not having a go but that's not really the most reliable source. Friends and family tend to have stuff in common, so most of you liking similar kinds of music isn't really a surprise.

Like the guy above me said - look at the charts, single sales, YT hits of popular artists like 1D and Taylor Swift compared with Muse.

Well, when I say the people I know, I mean my entire college, not just friends and family. Pop artists evoke a large sigh and people not giving a shit, while rock is something they love. I mean, I think they prefer songs like Supermassive Black Hole and Starlight to The Handler. I think Dead Inside is quite up their street, but Revolt and Mercy don't seem like something people will cling on to at all.

Well, when I say the people I know, I mean my entire college, not just friends and family. Pop artists evoke a large sigh and people not giving a shit, while rock is something they love. I mean, I think they prefer songs like Supermassive Black Hole and Starlight to The Handler. I think Dead Inside is quite up their street, but Revolt and Mercy don't seem like something people will cling on to at all.
That's because Revolt and Mercy aren't really song that fit into today's pop scene. That doesn't mean pop isn't the most popular genre of music.

Muse's pop songs are often incredibly outdated, and tbh I see a lot of more originality in loads of pop hits these days than I do in songs like Mercy, Revolt, Uprising, Dead Inside and the like.

Again though, that's quite a small sample size in the grand scheme of things.

I'd say Supermassive, Starlight, Dead Inside and Revolt are all pop-rock tbh, I don't think there's much difference in terms of target audience. Last I heard, Mercy had actually done pretty well (for Muse, at least), staying on Radio 1's A-list for a few weeks.

Like Tjet said, though - if they were making these "pop" songs intentionally as singles (and just for that)... wouldn't they do a better job...? Not saying I don't think Revolt and Mercy are good, I certainly do, but if they wanted an "easy" single, they could have made something more in line with what's big at the moment.

I have no doubt that, especially with the help of a producer, Muse couldn't crank out something that would easily be all over the mainstream pop charts.

It's just that everytime they make a "poppier" song people get their undies in a twist and cry sell out.

Like it's inconceivable that Muse just wanted to make an overly positive, catchy musical number.

If someone would have told me that beforehand (and I'm impressed they kept it under wraps) I would have thought "yup, sounds like something Muse would do."

I like it. It's commercial sure but it's got a catchy beat and IMO could appeal to the more "pop" listeners.
Isn't the "catchy beat" exactly why it's commercial? And this post as well

Revolt is poppy as fuck, but it's catchy

How do you guys define a "poppy" or "commercial" sound?

I think it was more in reference to people seeming to claim "poppy" "commercial" and "catchy" weren't all interrelated.

Like 'well, it's commercial pop crap, but at least it's catchy!'

Isn't that why it's commercially viable... and thus an important part of "pop" music...?

But also, yes, people bitch a lot about upbeat music. Everything happy is for the "plebs" who aren't sophisticated enough to realize only stuff that's dark is good.

I think it was more in reference to people seeming to claim "poppy" "commercial" and "catchy" weren't all interrelated.

Like 'well, it's commercial pop crap, but at least it's catchy!'

Isn't that why it's commercially viable... and thus an important part of "pop" music...?

But also, yes, people bitch a lot about upbeat music. Everything happy is for the "plebs" who aren't sophisticated enough to realize only stuff that's dark is good.

Exactly.