What genre do you think Muse should try?

Aeterna

I know that the majority of us love their heavy bass lines and killer riffs, but since Muse is an experimental band, somewhat, what genre would you like to see them try if they don't do one they've already done? It can either be for a laugh or something you think could work.

For a laugh, I like to think what Matt would sound like rapping with that slow, operatic voice of his :LOL:

I know that the majority of us love their heavy bass lines and killer riffs, but since Muse is an experimental band, somewhat, what genre would you like to see them try if they don't do one they've already done? It can either be for a laugh or something you think could work.

For a laugh, I like to think what Matt would sound like rapping with that slow, operatic voice of his :LOL:

I really don't know what else they could try. But I'd really like them to expand further the space-western rock sound of Knights Of Cydonia and turn it into another full concept album.

I believe it would be a bonkers piece of art if done well.

More acoustic and stripped back

I really don't fancy this, always dread it anytime someone mentions it. I just can't help imagining that if they properly went for that then we'd end up with a release full of Explorers/Aftermath kind of material

I really don't fancy this, always dread it anytime someone mentions it. I just can't help imagining that if they properly went for that then we'd end up with a release full of Explorers/Aftermath kind of material

So good then? Sweet.

I'd actually probably really like that. I think an acoustic thing would be interesting, at least.

I think they should certainly stay away from the idea of a true "concept" album, though. Having a theme or tone to the album like Abso, and even OoS works just fine, but the full "this tells a story" thing I don't think suits them, and it was unfortunately way too oversold for Drones, and ending up being too much of a focus/disappointment for people when they heard it.

It's just loosely based on some ideas Matt was dwelling on, which is fine, even awesome... but might have been even better if they didn't try and emphasize the "story," and just let it be more vague.

Said it a few times before but mainly Ambient Noise/Synth, Drone, Doom Metal, Electronica, Glitch, Trip-Hop.

I'd like them to try something heavy and electronic myself! In fact, I'd really love to see Muse try some Industrial. As much as I want it to happen, I doubt it ever will, though.

I'd like some acoustic-y Western-y songs like COD, Hoodoo, the first part of The Globalist etc

Also some more rock fused with electronica, like on TAB and MOTP

And some more organ

Edited by LewisF

I'm not sure how it'll turn out, but when Matt joked that he'd put rap into an album, I've become very curious as to what that might sound like. They're influenced by RATM - make a killer RATM-sounding instrumental with raps similar to Zack de la Rocha, it might be interesting to hear.

I'm not sure how it'll turn out, but when Matt joked that he'd put rap into an album, I've become very curious as to what that might sound like. They're influenced by RATM - make a killer RATM-sounding instrumental with raps similar to Zack de la Rocha, it might be interesting to hear.

Well then today is your lucky day, boyo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PIH6FVFfE4

(not that Skinner is anywhere near de la Rocha's level but you get the idea)

That said, I have always loved the frantic harmonics and drums from 2:06 to 2:26, I'd like to see something like that again but more fleshed out.

Edited by Jobby

That would be the end of muse :LOL:

For me their ideal sound would be a bit psychedelic, semi-progressive and arty, with a hard-rocking edge. Lots of dreamy, overwhelming, electronica-tinged soundscapes set to minor progressions and introspective themes. There would be a nice mixture of semi-droning, shoegaze ambience and heavy, borderline metal breakdowns, with poppy melodies providing tonality in an otherwise ambiguous mix.

Which is an overlong, obnoxious way of saying I'd like them to become a tiny bit further rooted in space rock than they are right now.

I was just listening to a new Celldweller track, and I was thinking bits of it really sounded Muse-y. It'd be awesome if they tried something similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFWugqVZXsM

EDIT: Found an instrumental version, if anyone wants to hear it without vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSIZfXwuEEk

Edited by CoolFunkMan