Rank Every Muse Song

PwoperMuser723

As a 24 year old muse fan allow me to be more specific, Matthew James Bellamy is the best pianist in a rock band that's currently still relevant and not a solo artist. I'd agree Freddie might be better and I would also agree that Eltons better but one of those blokes is dead and has been for a while and the other dude while still great is a solo artist. Never mind Billie Joel. So while its all a matter of opinion I stand by my original statement. And FYI I'm a Freddie and Elton fan too.

"I dare anyone this side of Mozart in modern music to play that on the piano"

"I meant lead singers"

"I meant lead singers who are still alive...and in a band."

Basically you just want to believe that Matt is the best at something. I mean...specifying that the pianist has to be a singer AND be in a band to qualify is just so pointless :LOL:

What's next, he has to be short and have a chinbeard?

As a 24 year old muse fan allow me to be more specific, Matthew James Bellamy is the best pianist in a rock band that's currently still relevant and not a solo artist. I'd agree Freddie might be better and I would also agree that Eltons better but one of those blokes is dead and has been for a while and the other dude while still great is a solo artist. Never mind Billie Joel. So while its all a matter of opinion I stand by my original statement. And FYI I'm a Freddie and Elton fan too.

D'accord. I wasn't aware of those other requirements at first, in which case I would say Matt's probably right up there, but he still might not be the best if we look into the matter closely.

Maybe I'm wrong (quite a novice piano player) but Matt's piano playing, on-record at least, really isn't that complex/difficult. Before I even started properly learning how to play, I was able to pick up Sunburn and Space Dementia pretty quickly. Even the opening to Cross-Pollination just looks like a load of octaves.

Matt may well be a great piano player but he doesn't really show it much on record imo.

"I dare anyone this side of Mozart in modern music to play that on the piano"

"I meant lead singers"

"I meant lead singers who are still alive...and in a band."

Basically you just want to believe that Matt is the best at something. I mean...specifying that the pianist has to be a singer AND be in a band to qualify is just so pointless :LOL:

What's next, he has to be short and have a chinbeard?

Lead Singer in a rock band, pretty simple to follow. Still only Freddie above him that I can think of, Suppose I should have been that specific in my first post but Christ on a bike. Took me apart like I'm running for president

Lead Singer in a rock band, pretty simple to follow. Still only Freddie above him that I can think of, Suppose I should have been that specific in my first post but Christ on a bike. Took me apart like I'm running for president
Well it's a ridiculous statement, so duh. You literally said "anyone this side of Mozart in modern music to play that on the piano", so to act all condescending like it should have been obvious you meant a rock singer in a band who's preferably still alive is a bit silly.

I agree. I think he definitely shows off his technical chops to a good extent on B&H and on CP, but while those songs may be rather difficult to play, they aren't very difficult to understand as a novice pianist, and that' sabot the most complicated piano playing he's put on record.

But, like I said, Cross-Pollination's opening is just fairly fast octaves. If you can keep your fingers steady and your movement between keys consistent, you should be fine with it. I'm pretty sure the only reason Matt's 'afraid' to play it live is because it's a very isolated part and he's a perfectionist. It's not overly difficult or complicated, it's just easy to spot any slip-ups.

Even B&H is just arpeggios with the odd little bits in between. I never bothered persisting with it, but I managed to get the first couple of bars down within an hour, and I'm pretty shite at piano.

This had been said many times before, but how difficult something is to play has little to do with how good the music is. Matt's piano parts are great because they sound good. So I think a better statement would be that Matt is the best piano composer in a rock band.

This had been said many times before, but how difficult something is to play has little to do with how good the music is. Matt's piano parts are great because they sound good. So I think a better statement would be that Matt is the best piano composer in a rock band.

Now I have to disagree with that statement as well. In the realm of singing piano players alone, Freddie Mercury, Elton John, and Billy Joel have all composed better piano music than Matt in their times, at least in my opinion. And outside of singing pianists in rock bands, there are simply too many to mention. Once again, Matt's good, great even, but he's not the best. I do think he's a genius, but he spends most of it in songwriting, singing, and guitar playing.

Well it's a ridiculous statement, so duh. You literally said "anyone this side of Mozart in modern music to play that on the piano", so to act all condescending like it should have been obvious you meant a rock singer in a band who's preferably still alive is a bit silly.

At the end of the day its all a matter of opinion so I'm just going to respectfully disagree. Elton's great, Freddie's phenomenal I just prefer the way Matt plays which is why I think he's better. So many of Elton's Piano songs are great but just as many are boring and uninspired. Freddie only has 6 or 7 great piano songs that I can think of but there all great haha. If I was a classically trained pianist perhaps i'd have a different perspective but alas I do not. :cool:

Christ is this still going on :LOL:

I'm always bitching about the tendency people have to rank things... why do we do that? Why can we not appreciate the value of something on its own terms without comparing its value to 103 other things? There used to be loads of threads like 'song vs song' or 'band vs band' & the arguments were so damn pointless, I don't get why it matters to people where things rank, especially if it's on an unquantifiable scale, like 'amount of good' :LOL:

But carry on listing songs so i can carry on saying you're wrong because that's fun

Edited by Gemsy

At the end of the day its all a matter of opinion so I'm just going to respectfully disagree. Elton's great, Freddie's phenomenal I just prefer the way Matt plays which is why I think he's better. So many of Elton's Piano songs are great but just as many are boring and uninspired. Freddie only has 6 or 7 great piano songs that I can think of but there all great haha. If I was a classically trained pianist perhaps i'd have a different perspective but alas I do not. :cool:
I respect that but once again you made this whole thing about technical ability right from the start :p oh well.