Uh what?

1. Do you even know what Muse's roots are?

2. Which other songs on the album sounds like Dead Inside? Psycho is obviously sonically quite similar to songs like The Handler, Reapers and the heavy part of The Globalist.

And since you're obviously gonna disagree, let me save you the trouble of making a stupid post: Psycho is a 3-piece rock song based on a riff written back in 1999. Mercy is similar to Starlight and Stockholm Syndrome, and Matt specifically said the album sounded like something between Abso and BH&R. The Handler and Reapers are obviously typical Muse rock songs, and one of them even references lyrics to Showbiz. The Globalist is Matt's attempt at a prequel to a song written in 2001. Obviously most of us agreee they're not very similar, but it's clearly an attempt at returning to their roots.

Revolt is a pop-rock track with some similarities to Showbiz

Muse made it very clear from the start that it was about returning to their 3-piece based sound and going away from the synth- and orchestral dominated sound, which was exactly what they did.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Drones is basically a guitar-bass-drum album. Agreed

I don't care if they are a 3 piece rock band or if they play with a fucking orchestra and a lion on stage. Matt said it was going to be heavy, half of the album is radio pop. I like Drones.
You just said the quote was "back to their roots", and guess what? Muse were pop from the beginning. But how nice of you to change the quote to fit your new argument.

Which half of the album is radio pop exactly? The one with Psycho, The Handler, Reapers, The Globalist and Drones? Or the one with oh let's see, Mercy and Dead Inside? Or do you consider Aftermath to be radio pop too?

You just said the quote was "back to their roots", and guess what? Muse were pop from the beginning. But how nice of you to change the quote to fit your new argument.

Which half of the album is radio pop exactly? The one with Psycho, The Handler, Reapers, The Globalist and Drones? Or the one with oh let's see, Mercy and Dead Inside? Or do you consider Aftermath to be radio pop too?

Yeah you are right, how blind i've been all my life, Muse has been pop since the beginning!!! Thank you.

You can make some arguments for metal on OoS and Abso but not Showbiz. On the other hand, OoS isn't very pop imo unlike the rest of their albums
Bliss is no different from for example Mercy in terms of the very vague concept of "poppiness" imo. Then there's PIB. Classic pop-rock.

And once again (For White Heat), The album was said to be somewhere between Abso and BH&R, both of which were released around 10 years ago, so definitely back to basics for Muse. The former had TIRO, SFA, Endlessly and Hysteria, all of which were pop or pop-rock. BH&R had Starlight, MOTP, SMBH and Invincible.

To argue that pop is not part of Muse's roots is basically just showing that you don't really know Muse.

Bliss is no different from for example Mercy in terms of the very vague concept of "poppiness" imo. Then there's PIB. Classic pop-rock.

And once again (For White Heat), The album was said to be somewhere between Abso and BH&R, both of which were released around 10 years ago, so definitely back to basics for Muse. The former had TIRO, SFA, Endlessly and Hysteria, all of which were pop or pop-rock. BH&R had Starlight, MOTP, SMBH and Invincible.

To argue that pop is not part of Muse's roots is basically just showing that you don't really know Muse.

Hey I'm just talking about OoS. And I was mostly thinking of Space Dementia and Citizen Erased when I said it wasn't pop.

Of course they're very pop though. TIRO Starlight PIB Uprising

Don't think I don't know that :LOL:

Im still pissed with myself for kind of believing Matt when he said they were going back to their roots. Also fucking Dom said the album sounded more like Psycho than Dead Inside, which is a bigger lie than Matt's :LOL:

Next album i'll only trust Chris.

You can dislike the album, that's your opinion and that's fine, but that doesn't make the things the band have said lies. Although they have done so in a different way than many may have expected, they did do what they promised.

Okay, so this has been bothering me for quite some time now.

I noticed that over the last years (I think starting from around TR's release) Matt's vocal delivery has changed, and not only in the way that it deepened or got weaker/stronger. I'm referring to the way Matt approaches his notes (so the beginning of a phrase) and how he ends them. Especially evident on Drones (album), Matt really tends to 'slide' up to the note instead of instantly hitting it. Also when ending a note/word, he slides back down with his voice.

He not only does this live (for example I noticed he does it in Uprising when singing "We will be victorious"), but also on albums (for example The Globalist: "...great, nation, we were"). There are numerous other examples, although mostly from live performances; just put on any recent gig and you'll notice it.

I really don't like the way it sounds. It sounds like he's putting too much pressure on reaching a note, suggesting that he's really struggling to do so. However when one assumes that this is not the case (having difficulties), I think it still just sounds... amateuristic? I'm in no way a professional regarding singing or anything, but I believe being able to immediately hit a note is one of the basic things to do.

Anyway, I'm aware Matt has done this for a very long time, or perhaps even since Showbiz, but I think it has increased a lot and now it's starting to bother me.

Any thoughts on this matter? Does it bother anyone else?

I noticed that over the last years (I think starting from around TR's release) Matt's vocal delivery has changed, and not only in the way that it deepened or got weaker/stronger. I'm referring to the way Matt approaches his notes (so the beginning of a phrase) and how he ends them. Especially evident on Drones (album), Matt really tends to 'slide' up to the note instead of instantly hitting it. Also when ending a note/word, he slides back down with his voice.

He not only does this live (for example I noticed he does it in Uprising when singing "We will be victorious"), but also on albums (for example The Globalist: "...great, nation, we were"). There are numerous other examples, although mostly from live performances; just put on any recent gig and you'll notice it.

I really don't like the way it sounds. It sounds like he's putting too much pressure on reaching a note, suggesting that he's really struggling to do so. However when one assumes that this is not the case (having difficulties), I think it still just sounds... amateuristic? I'm in no way a professional regarding singing or anything, but I believe being able to immediately hit a note is one of the basic things to do.

Anyway, I'm aware Matt has done this for a very long time, or perhaps even since Showbiz, but I think it has increased a lot and now it's starting to bother me.

I've never really noticed that before but now that you mention it I do hear it. It doesn't really bother me.

The thing I do like is that he stopped doing the overly dramatic and breathy delivery around BH&R so tbf I actually like the way he sings now better

I don't notice it too much, except in the Reapers live chorus (where he tries to do it, but doesn't even make it to the note and ends up sounding flat)

This performance contains one of his most obvious examples of sliding up to a note in the final chorus, and it sounds absolutely epic:

.. but I appreciate that's not quite the same as what you're talking about.

I don't notice it too much, except in the Reapers live chorus (where he tries to do it, but doesn't even make it to the note and ends up sounding flat)

This performance contains one of his most obvious examples of sliding up to a note in the final chorus, and it sounds absolutely epic:

.. but I appreciate that's not quite the same as what you're talking about.

Haha no, that's not what I meant. This is intended, he's singing purposefully directed notes. Sounds fantastic.

What I meant is just... cheating, I guess.