I used to think OoS was nonsense, but since Drones has been out I'm thinking there is a similar, overarching concept between the two albums. One Matt wasn't honest about, because it's quite personal and twisted, though I think a lot of his early lyrics are of this ilk.

I find OoS is about lost love, of the young and highly obsessive variety, which ultimately drives you crazy. New Born sets the stage for this theme, to quote Matt, it's about being born into an alternate reality which is explained in the following songs.

Bliss is about being romantically obsessed with someone. They seem perfect, like the picture of happiness and success - blissful - and so you find yourself wanting to be exactly like them.

Space Dementia is similar. We say someone is "lost in space" when they live in a fantasy land (or an alternate reality), such as worshipping someone who seems perfect. The term "space dementia" refers to the sensation of being in space for so long that looking back upon the Earth (reality) drives you insane.

Hyper Music is where that longing turns into anger. The lyrics here are where the concept begins to solidify for me. "Your golden lies feed my role" - she led him on. "This forgotten space race under my control" - living in his own private reality. Then in Plug In Baby, he turns to music as an outlet for release.

I totally agree with this, this is the sort of thing I take away from nonsense lyrics as well. Think you're 100% spot on

I used to think OoS was nonsense, but since Drones has been out I'm thinking there is a similar, overarching concept between the two albums. One Matt wasn't honest about, because it's quite personal and twisted, though I think a lot of his early lyrics are of this ilk.

I find OoS is about lost love, of the young and highly obsessive variety, which ultimately drives you crazy. New Born sets the stage for this theme, to quote Matt, it's about being born into an alternate reality which is explained in the following songs.

Bliss is about being romantically obsessed with someone. They seem perfect, like the picture of happiness and success - blissful - and so you find yourself wanting to be exactly like them.

Space Dementia is similar. We say someone is "lost in space" when they live in a fantasy land (or an alternate reality), such as worshipping someone who seems perfect. The term "space dementia" refers to the sensation of being in space for so long that looking back upon the Earth (reality) drives you insane.

Hyper Music is where that longing turns into anger. The lyrics here are where the concept begins to solidify for me. "Your golden lies feed my role" - she led him on. "This forgotten space race under my control" - living in his own private reality. Then in Plug In Baby, he turns to music as an outlet for release.

I haven't settled on CE yet. It seems to be about losing your innocence and naïveté to someone, like a romantic partner. I think there is a lyrical connection between this song and The Globalist, just as I suspect Drones overall might be a heavily metaphorical retelling of a relationship. Again, parallels.

"Truth's unwinding, scraping away at my mind." This leads PERFECTLY into Micro Cuts, where the obsession turns into nightmares. The 'nonsense' lyrics, frenetic pace and twisted ambience all reinforce the idea that this song represents a detour into insanity.

The last few songs is where the concept goes a bit haywire, but across those seven songs I think there is a very consistent theme. Again, like Drones.

Holy shit, I never actually thought about it like that before! Mind = blown!!!

I haven't settled on CE yet. It seems to be about losing your innocence and naïveté to someone, like a romantic partner. I think there is a lyrical connection between this song and The Globalist, just as I suspect Drones overall might be a heavily metaphorical retelling of a relationship. Again, parallels.

"Truth's unwinding, scraping away at my mind." This leads PERFECTLY into Micro Cuts, where the obsession turns into nightmares. The 'nonsense' lyrics, frenetic pace and twisted ambience all reinforce the idea that this song represents a detour into insanity.

The last few songs is where the concept goes a bit haywire, but across those seven songs I think there is a very consistent theme. Again, like Drones.

Never thought of it this way, but I can totally see it. I'm not sure if it's telling a narrative in the same way that Drones is, but it does kind of tell the story of a failed relationship in a fairly metaphoric way.

Survival's lyrics are by far the worst. It's also one of the reasons why they were/are easy to mock now iirc

I think Matt's incompetence as a lyricists suits Survival's context of an actual race; I doubt athletes would conjure deep and clever metaphors with diverse vocabulary at the start/during a race.

Despite wanting to gouge out my eardrums with a QTip every time I hear the word "drones" - I really don't think Matt's lyrics are as bad as everyone makes it out. There's a few doozies in there, but generally not that bad.

yeah i agree with this, some are dreadful granted but some really aren't that bad

What happend to the Flac files?

I ordered the deluxe edition and there's a code for a digital download with both FLAC and mp3. I don't know about only the digital, but I guess it's that as well.

Actually, that's a good point. I never got any download codes with my deluxe edition (at least, as far as I'm aware....)

I think now the dust has settled, the lyrics are less a bug-bear, but some are still quite naff. There were certainly better ones on previous albums, but there's nothing as bad as Survival on here. I do also wonder if Drones is really an album about a troubled relationship crashing and burning expressed through all manner of metaphors, but I'm not sure how to fully make it work along those parameters.

If you really wanna carry on the concept, I'd say:

Screenager - Feeling lost in a kinda state of flux and self-hatred/depression whilst the narrator (or maybe some other part of their conscience) also tries to remember how happy they were before this infatuation started.

Dark Shines - Frustrated/tired of feeling hurt by lost love, the narrator resorts to searching for his/her own innocent people to corrupt, as a weird sort of revenge. "Passing by, you light up my darkest skies/Be mine and your innocence I will consume."

Feeling Good - lol

Megalomania - The narrator has become completely disillusioned with love, empathy and has lost their connection with people in general ("The good news is she can't have babies/What are they for?"). "Take off your disguise, I know that underneath it's me" could also be the narrator saying 'You'll never admit it but, deep down, you're all the same as me' or it could just mean that he/she doesn't recognise themself anymore.

Not that I necessarily read that much into those songs, just suggesting possible ideas going along with your concept.

Interesting. There's certainly something there that kinda makes sense.

Actually, that's a good point. I never got any download codes with my deluxe edition (at least, as far as I'm aware....)

Really? Damn, that's a problem. The code comes in a little card. Mine was stuck with one of the vinyls, I almost didn't notice it.

Did anyone recive them?

I ordered the deluxe edition and there's a code for a digital download with both FLAC and mp3. I don't know about only the digital, but I guess it's that as well.

Was it in the box or did they send a email?

I received mine in the deluxe packaging. It's a card with a code stuck in the right hand vinyl sleeve. It's probably stuck in the cardboard.

Really? Damn, that's a problem. The code comes in a little card. Mine was stuck with one of the vinyls, I almost didn't notice it.

I received mine in the deluxe packaging. It's a card with a code stuck in the right hand vinyl sleeve. It's probably stuck in the cardboard.

The card was shoved way down between the print and the vinyl in the deluxe, but it was in there.

Probably the only thing that was in good shape, in mine. :chuckle:

And still haven't downloaded it...

Thanks for the info, it was stuck in the sleeve all along. What a stupid place to put it... :LOL:

Edited by CoolFunkMan

Nice to see Drones has almost got 5* on Itunes (based on 663 reviews). Still growing on me, the Handler's got some beautiful drumming that I sort of hadn't noticed due to the guitars, vocals and bass taking most of my attention

Good news!

The guys did an excellent work with the album. I can't stop listening to it! :LOL:

changed my mind on drones again :D

worst muse album for me now

Ther eare songs I like but it feels too Greendayish to me with that unignorable musical writing

I thought I would like it more than T2L but that had pretty amazing tracks adding something new. Drones feels like a musical made rehash

worst song for me are defector and revolt

I'll hope for some b-tracks they recorded with mutt taped and tied up away from the studio :LOL:

changed my mind on drones again :D

worst muse album for me now

Ther eare songs I like but it feels too Greendayish to me with that unignorable musical writing

I thought I would like it more than T2L but that had pretty amazing tracks adding something new. Drones feels like a musical made rehash

worst song for me are defector and revolt

I'll hope for some b-tracks they recorded with mutt taped and tied up away from the studio :LOL:

Make up your mind already :LOL: