The purity of their sound is perfect. The command of the their instruments is outstanding.

Even if you think the musical ideas themselves were better in the early days, I do think it's clear that they're better at organizing their ideas nowadays.

It's kind of inevitable that a band who play together full-time for two decades will get better with their instruments. Songwriting is a different kettle of fish though and generally (not always) declines over time, usually once a band begins to run out of interesting ideas.

I still think Muse have some cards up their sleeve, but the repetition on Drones tells me that they (or Matt at least) are having trouble playing those cards. To name a few examples: the Psycho riff, the overlong solo in The Handler, the breakdown in The Globalist that could've been developed further, the album's title track which never really goes anywhere.

They've matured and so has their sound.

You could argue that their earlier, personable and introspective works are more mature than the vague political statements and half-assed platitudes of recent albums, but that's down to personal taste. Drones is a nice mixture of the two for me, and probably the most relatable since Absolution; but to say it exemplifies maturity is a pretty big stretch.

The song structures on TR and T2L are much more interesting and varied that the ones on OoS or Absolution.

There is a subtle difference between complexity and complication. Muse's earlier works were complex; OoS is engaging and thought-provoking even though it appears to be nonsense. There is meaning behind the words and instrumentation that can provoke entirely different reactions when filtered through your own life experience.

TR was complicated. The songs were technically impressive to the detriment of meaning; clean to the point of being sterile. Drones doesn't have this problem, if anything it sometimes goes in the opposite direction, with the examples I mentioned above being too simple and lacking development.

OoS and Abso were a perfect mixture of form and substance for me, and I think they could find that stride again on the next album. The question is whether they'll have any ideas left by that point.

I think a lot (not all) of bigger churches usually have the next big thing in Christianity. Something where they try to set themselves apart by having something that says something to the effect of "This is how to be a better Christian than those who listen to 'secular' music." Then people can brag they only watch Christian movies (99.9% of which suck, and have bad theology) or listen to Christian music. I'm glad that not everyone throws all Christians in together, as we usually differ in various ways, but I get frustrated when someone assumes something about you because you identify as Christian.

I'm going to be away from the computer for awhile, so I apologize if I can't continue this conversation right now. If it's still going on when I come back, I'll chip in. :p

I have nothing against anyone for any religious reason. I've often wished, myself, that I could have identified with a religious belief, as I always felt the lack of spirituality in my life as a bit of a negative thing. And I feel that desire to believe in something bigger than myself, or some meaning to all the shit I wade through.

I have quite a bit against people who used organized forms of religion for profit or control, and who often take advantage of people who are just looking for answers and security in life.

Two totally different things.

I put the "truth sayers" like the ones who made that video firmly in that latter category. Ironically, while not in a religious aspect, Matt himself has fallen into that sort of thing from time to time. :chuckle:

I'm glad that not everyone throws all Christians in together, as we usually differ in various ways, but I get frustrated when someone assumes something about you because you identify as Christian.

It's a bit like considering WBC to be Baptists, or IS to be Islamists. I'm careful not to name them as such because it's not an issue specific to any one religion, but a targeted attempt by hateful individuals and groups to validate their narcissism through religious affiliation.

Doesn't really matter which views you're talking about, those who claim to enforce the moralities and values of somebody they can't prove to exist are mentally ill, and a danger to society IMHO.

No one thinks it's every single Christian. In fact, most people would probably be surprised to hear these things exist outside of Fundamentalism, and "truth saying."

I was sent to a very mainstream church in a wealthy community (parents thought I would make good connections... and were also racist) that was an integral part of the local community, and quite large.

One day we were required to bring in our favorite songs, or albums, and their lyrics. The youth leader and a pastor went through every single one and exposed the "hidden Satanic agenda" in each of them.

Even songs about love (that weren't about love of God,) or charity, helping the world - no matter how positive and harmless a secular song sounded, the pair systematically went through and "brought to light" all the evils and subtly ways even the most positive songs were using that message to bring us further from Christ.

We were told we could either, at that moment, leave the seduction of Satan behind and renounce secular music, or commit a cardinal sin by continuing to allow Satan a hold on our lives now that we knew better.

I'm embarrassed to say I went along with it, for a while.

I firmly believe this sort of organized religion has warped Christianity into a control scheme, and there's just a lot of people who can be victimized by it, who are in fact very good people.

You dealt with some twisted people, then.

It's kind of inevitable that a band who play together full-time for two decades will get better with their instruments. Songwriting is a different kettle of fish though and generally (not always) declines over time, usually once a band begins to run out of interesting ideas.

I still think Muse have some cards up their sleeve, but the repetition on Drones tells me that they (or Matt at least) are having trouble playing those cards. To name a few examples: the Psycho riff, the overlong solo in The Handler, the breakdown in The Globalist that could've been developed further, the album's title track which never really goes anywhere.

You could argue that their earlier, personable and introspective works are more mature than the vague political statements and half-assed platitudes of recent albums, but that's down to personal taste. Drones is a nice mixture of the two for me, and probably the most relatable since Absolution; but to say it exemplifies maturity is a pretty big stretch.

There is a subtle difference between complexity and complication. Muse's earlier works were complex; OoS is engaging and thought-provoking even though it appears to be nonsense. There is meaning behind the words and instrumentation that can provoke entirely different reactions when filtered through your own life experience.

TR was complicated. The songs were technically impressive to the detriment of meaning; clean to the point of being sterile. Drones doesn't have this problem, if anything it sometimes goes in the opposite direction, with the examples I mentioned above being too simple and lacking development.

OoS and Abso were a perfect mixture of form and substance for me, and I think they could find that stride again on the next album. The question is whether they'll have any ideas left by that point.

I agree with a lot of this. Drones is oddly mannered; on a surface it's like a slicker version of Absolution and BH&R's rockier fare, but without the invention and vitality of those songs. Now that Matt's ditched a lot of his allegories and committed to "serious" lyricism, his weaknesses are harder to put up with. There's no sense of humour or self-awareness as you get on, say, American Idiot or NIN's Year Zero, to name a couple of recentish, political concept albums.

I think at this point we can all fairly judge the album. I've only listened to it a few times since it came out and decided not to do so for a while. I listened through it twice today and while I like it, it just feels really awkward. There's something weird about this album and I can't quite pinpoint what it is.

I feel like that everytime I listen to a new album from a favorite band. I like it on first listen, but then when I think about adding it or some of the songs to my playlist, they feel out of place.

Just takes me a while to integrate them. :chuckle:

Probably something weird in my transitioning to random playlists rather than playing one album all the way through to death like I used to do.

I will say, Drones is the first album in a LONG time that I've listened to all the way through a ton of times.

That's impressive to me.

I will say, Drones is the first album in a LONG time that I've listened to all the way through a ton of times.

That's impressive to me.

You know I actually still really like listening through TR all the way but I know what you mean. Drones is a better overall listen than TR

I think at this point we can all fairly judge the album. I've only listened to it a few times since it came out and decided not to do so for a while. I listened through it twice today and while I like it, it just feels really awkward. There's something weird about this album and I can't quite pinpoint what it is.

its the lyrics

That's impressive to me.

I still find it a phenomenal album, I had long given up on 2nd Law and half of Resistance by this time when those albums came out, there are some great songs on Drones

its the lyrics

the lyrics are so shady it's unreal (in most places)

:noey:

sorry amigo, I've always been a bit funny about Defector. It grew on me a bit, but I think it's now firmly my least favourite song (not that bad though still, probs 6/10). Testament to the album's strength that my least favourite track is still relatively high in my rating

but Defector isn't shit :(

no it isn't, but I just... don't really like it. Still too much Queen and repetition, and it's a bit annoying (more so than Revolt imo)

The lyrics are fine to me except drones (the song) which is one of the most horrible things I've ever heard

also,

"your ass belongs to me"

:facepalm:

no, so many of the lyrics in this album still just suck. (not as bad as t2l, fuck right off explorers, supremacy, panic station, etc etc)

dead inside is one of my favourite songs, i dislike "greatest guy"

psycho's i really could care less about. i just wish he wouldn't sing it like he's expecting to be taken seriously

mercy's lyrics kill me every time. absolute shit.

reapers is alright, i do wish the lyrics weren't so direct..

the handler's i have no problem with. if every song was up to par with this strangeness and indirect diction (like they are on absolution/oos) , this album would be much better. this song in particular i can see on abso just because of "dissociate", the use of psychological terms is something that i need back, eg hysteria, futurism's apathy etc

defector is alright, needs more passion in the delivery, not so serious.

revolt i don't mind lyrically, only issue is unnecessary repetition

aftermath is quite bad. cringing at "now and forever" now and forever.

globalist is amazing right up until the last part, "there's no countries left" fuck off :)

drones is alright i'd say

start writing good songs again matt

What is with the people who took the song names as screen names being really negative about the album...? :LOL:

:) i had this before the album came out, i liked the name of the song. I'm not feeling negative about the album, i like it enough. it is much better than t2l.