I actually meant the whole thread

I know, I am though. :p

How are normal hoops made and whats the difference between them and die-cast hoops?

Super hoops are made by stamping steel sheets, die cast are made by injecting liquid zinc into moulds.

There are 5 types of hoops and a whole bunch of different thicknesses/compositions. The only thing that really needs to be known is stronger makes for easier tuning and heavier hoops dampen the head more.

In metal hoops there are single flanged, triple flanged and die-cast. The thickest a triple flanged hoop gets is 2.3mm while die cast are 3mm. Flanged hoops are stamped steel or brass and die-cast are zinc or aluminium. Zinc die cast are the heaviest, they also tune the best, aluminium are a Yamaha invention they allow for the even tuning of zinc hoops but are lighter and don't choke as much. Triple flanged give the most resonance and 2.3mm hoops allow for almost as good tuning as die-cast (2.3mm trips are called Steel Mighty by Tama, Super Hoops by Pearl and DynaHoops by Yamaha). Single flanged are hardly used anymore, they're held on with hooks.

There are two types of wood hoops: Yamaha style and Ayotte style, the former has holes drilled through it and can be shattered if you rim shot very hard over a hole and the latter are held on with hooks and are harder to break. Both have a different timbre to metal hoops.

I actually meant the whole thread

I know, I am though. :p

How are normal hoops made and whats the difference between them and die-cast hoops?

Super hoops are made by stamping steel sheets, die cast are made by injecting liquid zinc into moulds.

There are 5 types of hoops and a whole bunch of different thicknesses/compositions. The only thing that really needs to be known is stronger makes for easier tuning and heavier hoops dampen the head more.

In metal hoops there are single flanged, triple flanged and die-cast. The thickest a triple flanged hoop gets is 2.3mm while die cast are 3mm. Flanged hoops are stamped steel or brass and die-cast are zinc or aluminium. Zinc die cast are the heaviest, they also tune the best, aluminium are a Yamaha invention they allow for the even tuning of zinc hoops but are lighter and don't choke as much. Triple flanged give the most resonance and 2.3mm hoops allow for almost as good tuning as die-cast (2.3mm trips are called Steel Mighty by Tama, Super Hoops by Pearl and DynaHoops by Yamaha). Single flanged are hardly used anymore, they're held on with hooks.

There are two types of wood hoops: Yamaha style and Ayotte style, the former has holes drilled through it and can be shattered if you rim shot very hard over a hole and the latter are held on with hooks and are harder to break. Both have a different timbre to metal hoops.

This is triple-flanged right:3hoop.jpg?

Single:

single-flanged.gif

Die-cast:

diecast.gif

Cheers :) !

Also, wouldn't CNC milled hoops be the best?

Why? Hoops are made fairly easily made and CNC machines are extremely expensive.

Well in general, pressed metal is bendy, die-cast stuff is brittle and milled stuff can be stiff/strong and non-brittle - in other uses, it's usually the 'top' option (with a suitably premium price)... I just wondered if such things had made it into drums!

Not even close.

Reality:

Starclassic Maples

12x10 (have you ever tried mounting a 12 deep rack tom?)

14x14

16x16

22x16

14x6.5 Black Beauty (LB417)

8" EFX??? Have you ever seen an EFX? They have holes cut out of them, tambourine jangles stapled on and only come in 16"

8" A Custom Splash

11" FX Oriental Trash Splash

18/19" A Custom Crashes

18" FX Oriental China Trash

22" K Custom Ride

Remo (Emperor) on the toms, Aquarian (Super Kick II) on the kick and snare (Hi-energy), IC double, roadpro stands

I quoted it out of the Rhythm Magazine (around the hullabaloo tour, which is when the post originally dates back to), so I'm sorry if it isn't perfect for you. Jesus Wept.

Yes, I have tried mounting a 12" deep rack tom, have a look at this picture of my kit..

Mez%20Solo.JPG

Mez%20and%20Steve.JPG

AH HA!!! i have spotted somethin quite intresting

in the videos in the milan gig someone has posted, Dom has another floor tom next to his snare drum

why do they do that?

I think it's a gong bass drum, or whatever they're called. I wonder what song he uses that for.

its official.....its KOC!

so it is, congratultions Mr Adam! just to add a more bassy effect at the beginning then eh?

ANYWAY, in more recent news i have suceeded in selling my Ludwig! my parents were struggling for cash so i gave em a helpin hand with a nice big fat 960 squid

but they have also said they will buy me another kit for UNDER £300, now i've been looking at these DDrums, can anyway give me any info on them? how the sound? quality?

jizzzzzz

so it is, congratultions Mr Adam! just to add a more bassy effect at the beginning then eh?

ANYWAY, in more recent news i have suceeded in selling my Ludwig! my parents were struggling for cash so i gave em a helpin hand with a nice big fat 960 squid

but they have also said they will buy me another kit for UNDER £300, now i've been looking at these DDrums, can anyway give me any info on them? how the sound? quality?

jizzzzzz

WHAT! :eek: :eek: :eek:

You sold your £1000 kit and ur parents are gonna get you a £300 one!

WHAT!!

I feel your pain! :( *hugs*

jizzzzzz

The all the wood DDrums are made from Keller shells, used by most of the small custom drum companies (and even some of the big ones like Pork Pie). Their plies are very thin and, as a result, so are the shells. This means that more glue goes into their thicker shells than other drums. Glue = teh bad for sound conduction, resonance, tonal depth and volume.

For comparison (ply width from thickest to thinnest):

6 ply Pearl MRX shell = 7.5mm

4 ply Sonor Delite shell = 4.2mm

6 ply Yamaha Maple Absolute shell = 6mm

7 ply Mapex Orion shell = 6.1mm

6 ply Tama SC Maple shell = 5mm

6 ply Keller shell = 4.1mm

10 ply Keller shell = 6.8mm

8 ply Keller shell = 5.4mm

This is not to say that there's anything wrong with the way they sound, just that they won't sound the same as a shell with the same thickness from another manufacturer. Ddrum maple shells are 6 ply on the toms and 8 ply for the kick

On to the Diode series: acrylic shells consist of just one chemical and one ply so there's very little variation between them. A 6.3mm Vistalite shell with a Ludwig bearing edge will sound pretty much the same as a no-name 6.3mm acrylic shell with a Ludwig edge. Thing is though that Diodes use a shallower bearing edge that increases shell-head contact greatly, dampens resonance and higher frequencies, and additionally have a reinforcement ring adhered just behind each bearing edge that narrows response range even further. As a result Diodes, I expect, will sound boomier with prominent mid frequencies (presence), with greatly diminished highs (and projection) and somewhat diminished lows, when compared to a Vistalite.

I find it very amusing that all the "custom" drum companies get their shells from the one source: Keller for wood, Gold N Times for acrylic. Gold N Times are an industry standard, if you buy an acrylic drum under any name (including Vistalite, Truth, OCDP, etc.) it will have been made by Gold N Times and stamped with a brand logo.

They sell direct to the public, too, http://www.goldntimesdrums.com/, a full Bonham shell pack 26x14, 18x16, 16x16, 14x12, 14x6.5 with bearing edges and snare beds costs $629 (you need to get shell hardware and drilling, though).

AND map of the problematique!

Where?

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with them but their shells will be thinner than other 6 and 8 ply drums. If you like the sound of them then there's no reason not to buy them, same with any drum. I gave you factual informtion about them, the only conditions under which you should buy drums are if you like the way they sound.

I can't explain the 9 ply thing, DDrum say 8 on their website.

AND map of the problematique!

Where?

La Musicale, when he starts with the snare part! I'm terrible in explaining this because english is not my birth language! If you download La Musicale you can clearly see all drumsline for this song! :) And it's very repetitive...but i love playing it...

i tried out a dw kit, and i wasnt veyr impressed with it overall. the sound was medicore, but what struk me most was hopw cheap the kit felt. the lugs looked cheap, the powedercoating was poor. i wouldnt buy one, for that money id head to ebay and see what i could pick up. lots of exports and stuff for that money.

timbale, yeah?

Yup, a big timbale but you have to put a 22" head on it (it's a 20" drum). Apparently they sound a bit like tympani.

i tried out a dw kit, and i wasnt veyr impressed with it overall. the sound was medicore, but what struk me most was hopw cheap the kit felt.

Apparently DW quality control isn't very good at all. They have high tolerances for bearing edge defects and even drum out of roundness. Like the Pacifics if you get a good one it can be very good but the bad ones can be low. Definitely not a brand you want to be ordering online.

Yup, a big timbale but you have to put a 22" head on it (it's a 20" drum). Apparently they sound a bit like tympani.

i tried out a dw kit, and i wasnt veyr impressed with it overall. the sound was medicore, but what struk me most was hopw cheap the kit felt.

Apparently DW quality control isn't very good at all. They have high tolerances for bearing edge defects and even drum out of roundness. Like the Pacifics if you get a good one it can be very good but the bad ones can be low. Definitely not a brand you want to be ordering online.

whoops, i was actually talking about DDrum kits, but i absent mindedly wrote dw. But i do also agree about the dw thing as well, i never buy anything musoc related (apart from stands etc) from the net. You NEVER know how different two of the same thing can be, especially with cymbals and stuff.

i never buy anything musoc related (apart from stands etc) from the net. You NEVER know how different two of the same thing can be, especially with cymbals and stuff.

I've never had any bad experiences with the stuff I ordered, including cymbals.