I don't understand why you'd buy a supremely expensive drumkit, a large part of whose exorbitant price includes the outstanding lacquer finish only to cover it? In most cases the only thing that differentiates semi-pro and pro kits is the quality of the finish.

Session SMX have exactly the same shells as Masters MRX, the only difference is the grade of the cosmetic outer ply, the number of finish and hardware options, the number of lugs on the kick, the hoops and roughly $1500, same with Pro-M and Orion. If you're simply going to rewrap the drum you could save yourself an enormous amount of money by getting a Mapex Pro-M with a wrap finish and peeling it off. SC and Pro-M are both thin shell maple drums with thin plies, the Mapex ITS mounting system, bass spurs and floor tom legs*, lugs and price are better. You can buy your hoops pre coloured, too and if you still want them just but Starclassic lugs and add them on.

*Did you ever get why manufacturers make such a big fuss about putting non-shell penetrating hardware on the toms but go ahead an drill floor tom legs straight in (and use double anchored lugs)? Mapex's floor toms legs and bass spurs are non-shell penetrating and are spring loaded.

I don't understand why you'd buy a supremely expensive drumkit, a large part of whose exorbitant price includes the outstanding lacquer finish only to cover it?

I guess I wouldn't, but if I had loads and loads of money to spare, I might ;)

*Did you ever get why manufacturers make such a big fuss about putting non-shell penetrating hardware on the toms but go ahead an drill floor tom legs straight in (and use double anchored lugs)? Mapex's floor toms legs and bass spurs are non-shell penetrating and are spring loaded.

Does it make a big difference?

I've never had any bad experiences with the stuff I ordered, including cymbals.

Well that may well be, but i it is not uncommon for two supposidly identical cymbals to sound different to one another. Also, i wouldnt go onto a drum website and just buy a snare drum or a new kit, without going and playing one in the first place. I personally feel its a bit foolish. By all means try a drum out in a shop and then buy it cheaper online but not just blindly hoping it will sound like you want it too. Same with clothes etc.

your avatar looks like brad wilk.

Urgh, no. It's Chad Smith.

Well that may well be, but i it is not uncommon for two supposidly identical cymbals to sound different to one another.

B20 cymbals have different sound characteristics from the moment they're cast, sheet cymbals like Paistes are very consistent.

Does it make a big difference?

I think so, yes.

I like them for crashes (particularly the 2oo2s) but they don't make a single pair of hats or a ride that I like. The alloys they use (B8 for the 2oo2s, B15 for the Signatures) intrinsically have too much shimmering brightness that I feel doesn't lend itself well to those applications. I like my ride dry and crisp and my hats to not be as harsh sounding. Because they use sheet bronze it gives good consistency from cymbals to cymbal, though.

chad smith :(

Why?

(I don't like Brad Wilks drumming at all).

I like them for crashes (particularly the 2oo2s) but they don't make a single pair of hats or a ride that I like.

I used to have Alpha Power cymbals and liked them all, including the hihats and ride. The 16" crash wasn't as good as the 18" though, but fortunately the new Alpha Rock cymbals also come in 19 an 20, so I'll get myself one of those instead of a 16 once we get a new band room.

Well that may well be, but i it is not uncommon for two supposidly identical cymbals to sound different to one another. Also, i wouldnt go onto a drum website and just buy a snare drum or a new kit, without going and playing one in the first place. I personally feel its a bit foolish. By all means try a drum out in a shop and then buy it cheaper online but not just blindly hoping it will sound like you want it too. Same with clothes etc.

did you not get my PM?

So dom is no longer using A Custom crashes!

He has been seen to be playing with K Customs and at the Eurockennes gig he had a dodgy looking zildjian with holes cut out of it! :confused:

Aye, that holed cymbal sounds fecking ace though!

he does use A customs, his 2nd crash was an A custom, as for that holed cymbal i don't like it nice sound and everythin but not as full, i knew from the live shows they played his cymbals wern't sounding...full, not a big fan, should shove a big beefy 19" K on it

anyone know what damping Dom uses in his Bass? Seems like little or nothing at all - but always sounds mega-fat....entirely down to gating/compression?????????

he has a foam rectangle in the bass drum - and the heads he uses have dampning on them i believe....

Yup, he has a Tama Power Kick bass muffler (part number PK20) cut down a bit and uses all naturally muffled heads: Super Kick II, Powerstroke 3 or Pinstripe. All here: http://www.musewiki.org/Drums

he had a dodgy looking zildjian with holes cut out of it!

Are you sure it was a Zil and not one of these?

HHX-Evolution-O-Zone-Crash.jpg

he does use A customs, his 2nd crash was an A custom,

His primary crash is not an A Custom, its a brilliant finished K Custom Fast crash (no AC hammering) and his secondary is a K Thin.