I'll buy instruments off the net (but never cymbals, unless they're Sabians made to custom order) if I've heard an identical item in a shop. For example: Pearl has (arguably) the best construction process in the industry and an air-tight quality control system to catch the few duds that do get made. If I wanted one and had the cash I'd order a Masters online without a second thought because barring inconsistencies in the woods themselves one MRX can be reasonably assumed to sound near identical to another MRX. I wouldn't, of course, because you're paying for that consistency and I'd rather find the one good one in the bunch of rejects and pay half for it. :p

Tama, Pearl, Mapex, Sonor, Yammies; all very consistent maple drums. I haven't heard about Ludwigs, they change their website every 20 years, I hope they're doing better with drums (top of the line kits from 20 years ago are equal in quality to todays entry level kits), and DW are completely unreliable.

66, if you want an inexpensive, excellent quality drum kit try a Premier Artist Birch or Maple.

what??? Kirkness complemented your shoes??????? you don't even have the Surf Pink Converse that Dom wore!!!! I have them and when I met teh Kirkness???? NOTHING!!! what a bastard :'(

ahem yes i DO own the exact same pair of pink converse that dom wears. I had to import them especially! :p :p :p :p

And the shoes i wore were similar to that - black and pink - and he said "oh nice shoes!"

and i told him that infact i do own the same pair that dom has but they didnt go with what i was wearing lol!

I am the shoe god!

And apparently the god of hair-dos too! :D :D

ahem yes i DO own the exact same pair of pink converse that dom wears. I had to import them especially! :p :p :p :p

And the shoes i wore were similar to that - black and pink - and he said "oh nice shoes!"

and i told him that infact i do own the same pair that dom has but they didnt go with what i was wearing lol!

I am the shoe god!

And apparently the god of hair-dos too! :D :D

you win this time :p

you win this time :p

The "Shoe" tale

Adam - 1

James - 0

The "KOC crowdsurfing" tale

Adam - 0

James - 1

"Kind of insulting a yorkshire guy" tale

Adam - 0

James - 1

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: That was classic!

"Whats with the accent!"

"Thats the way i speak"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The "Shoe" tale

Adam - 1

James - 0

The "KOC crowdsurfing" tale

Adam - 0

James - 1

"Kind of insulting a yorkshire guy" tale

Adam - 0

James - 1

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: That was classic!

"Whats with the accent!"

"Thats my accent!"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I felt sooooo bad!!! he sounded like Peter Kay!!!!!!!!!

You can see a tiny tiny bit of the pedal in this pic:

DSCF0961.jpg

Yeah, that's an Iron Cobra (you can tell from the shape of the beater tower just above the bottom of the pic). Hmm, Dom's no longer using any A Customs. The crash he's hitting is a K the other's a K Custom. That snare is not a Black Beauty, either, but that is a K Custom ride and the tom is a 12x9. In that pic he's also using Pro-mark sticks, a Powerstroke 3 kick batter (he alternates between it and a Super Kick II) and what looks to be Emps over Ambs (or Dips, they look identical) on the toms. He always uses Remo or Aquarian and never Evans.

EDIT: The snare is a Tama Power Metal (not a Starclassic) Brass. I'd recognize those hideous lugs anywhere. Triple flanged hoops on it (same a the Black Beauty), all you die cast disciples. :p

Big update of the Muse Wiki drums page. The original page I wrote on Wikipedia and copied over is now almost gone.

Yeah, that's an Iron Cobra (you can tell from the shape of the beater tower just above the bottom of the pic)

That's what I thought. It looks too "round" to be a dw.

EDIT: The snare is a Tama Power Metal (not a Starclassic) Brass. I'd recognize those hideous lugs anywhere. Triple flanged hoops on it (same a the Black Beauty), all you die cast disciples. :p

What a n00b, he could have at least put Starclassic lugs on it, because they're the best there are :eek: And put your triple flanged hoops where the sun don't shine ;) *wishes he had enough money to buy a proper SC kit with proper lugs and die-cast hoops etc.*

What a n00b, he could have at least put Starclassic lugs on it, because they're the best there are

No he couldn't, those are two hole double ended lugs, SC lugs are two hole single ended. See the problem? :p Tube lugs ftw on snares, anyway.

Mapex lugs are superior to Statclassic ones. They're lighter and only have one anchor point for minimum shell intrusion. Out of the double anchored lugs Reference swivel type and Ayotte Tune Lock lugs are better (Reference are self guiding and Ayottes allow head changes without having to retune). And that's to say nothing about appearance, either (I think SCs aren't long enough for their height; they look chode, and way too blocky).

And put your triple flanged hoops where the sun don't shine

What can I say? Some people actually like tone from our drums. :D

BTW, anyone want a guide on how to break a cymbal in three easy steps?

Step 1:

DSCF0961.jpg

Steps 2 and 3 are redundant.

While we're on Tamas, the Star Cast mounting system offers no more advantages than standard Gauger brand RIMS suspension type mounts and only yields disadvantages. You can only use die-cast hoops with it and furthermore they have to be special Tama type hoops.

The best suspension methods are the ones that you don't have to remove the drum to remove the heads, ie ones that hold the lugs rather than the hoops or tension rods; Ayotte suspension bridge, Mapex type, Sonor TARS and DW type are the best (not Yamaha because even though it holds the shell rather than the hoops points have to be drilled through which defeats the point of a suspension mount).

No he couldn't, those are two hole double ended lugs, SC lugs are two hole single ended. See the problem? :p Tube lugs ftw on snares, anyway.

Well, he should have used his SC Mirage snare then ;)

Mapex lugs are superior to Statclassic ones. They're lighter and only have one anchor point for minimum shell intrusion. Out of the double anchored lugs Reference swivel type are the best. And that's to say nothing about appearance, either (I think SCs are too shoort for their height, they look chode, and way too blocky).

I was just talking about the looks :erm:

What can I say? Some people actually like tone from our drums. :D

I can't say I dislike the sound of the SCs :p

I was just talking about the looks

Ah right, well functionally they're the same as any other double anchored lug, Reference and Ayotte style lugs beat them on features, and Mapex lugs are single anchored, also superior.

Well, he should have used his SC Mirage snare then

I'd say he values sound above appearance, but then again he might like those lugs (Ulrich's signature snare has them).

I can't say I dislike the sound of the SCs

I don't dislike it either, nothing a bit of triple flanged wouldn't aid, though. :p

Ah right, well functionally they're the same as any other double anchored lug, Reference and Ayotte style lugs beat them on features, and Mapex lugs are single anchored, also superior.

I think the SC ones are good enough, quality-wise, so I'd still prefer them over all others :)

I'd say he values sound above appearance, but then again he might like those lugs (Ulrich's signature snare has them).

That's probably true, although I didn't think the snare sounded bad at the Dundee gig. And Ulrich's snare having them would be a reason to dislike them ;)

I don't dislike it either, nothing a bit of triple flanged wouldn't aid, though. :p

*covers ears and goes na na na na*

His pedal on Wednesday was definately an Iron Cobra - from what I could see of it through the bass drum heads I was certain, but asked him after anyway. He said he had used a chrome one before, but I think he just used a standard black one that night.

And Ulrich's snare having them would be a reason to dislike them

Oh I think the new Tama bridge lugs are the worst lugs evar, but some people must like (the Ulrich, Aronoff, Phillips and Copeland signature snares have them) em so perhaps Dom does, too, is what I meant.

That's probably true, although I didn't think the snare sounded bad at the Dundee gig. And Ulrich's snare having them would be a reason to dislike them

Whatever snare he used would be subject to EQing and whatever heads and tuning he had on it, but he used the 14x6 Mirage snare at Dundee: http://www.muse4fans.com/fr/photos-muse.php?year=2006&rep=2006-05-13-Dundee

EDIT: His new ride is a K Custom Medium. It's the same as kis old ride (the regular K Custom) except the top has been lathed.

Oh I think the new Tama bridge lugs are the worst lugs evar, but some people must like (the Ulrich, Aronoff, Phillips and Copeland signature snares have them) em so perhaps Dom does, too, is what I meant.

Ah, I see your point now. I think there are FAR worse lugs though. I might look for pictures when I'm back home.

Whatever snare he used would be subject to EQing and whatever heads and tuning he had on it, but he used the 14x6 Mirage snare at Dundee: http://www.muse4fans.com/fr/photos-muse.php?year=2006&rep=2006-05-13-Dundee

Yep. There's now a little section on the Mirage drums on tama.com :cool: No white hardware though, Dom must have painted his himself.

Yep. There's now a little section on the Mirage drums on tama.com

Yeah but Doms look so much better with the white hardware. The BHAR kit is the best yet, IMO. It may be the best kit I've ever seen, I LOVE acrylics, and the the white hardware just put it a cut above, really classy.

No white hardware though, Dom must have painted his himself.

I was thinking powdercoated, there are shops on the internet that'll powdercoat hardare any colour.

Would that be the "New for Winter 2006" bit? I'm looking at it now, Doms look so much better with the white hardware, really classy. The BHAR kit is the best yet, IMO.

You've got to select USA as your country, then it'll be right there and you just have to click on it. I think white hardware suits it best, but the black nickel doesn't look bad either. I think I still prefer the chrome/black drums, but only just.

I was thinking powdercoated, there are shops on the internet that'll powdercoat hardare any colour.

Hm... too bad Tama don't offer the rock chrome finish anymore then!