He had the splash set up during the UK tour back in March?

Recently for the festivals he hasn't though, not sure?

I didn't see any splash cymbals in the Psycho tour, I think he dropped them just before.

He was using the bell on the first crash as a substitute for splashes.

His cymbals have all gone up an inch in size as well, apart from the china according to his zildjian profile.

Also noticed at download his second crash is so much tighter than before, barely moved when he hit it.

I didn't see any splash cymbals in the Psycho tour, I think he dropped them just before.

He was using the bell on the first crash as a substitute for splashes.

His cymbals have all gone up an inch in size as well, apart from the china according to his zildjian profile.

Also noticed at download his second crash is so much tighter than before, barely moved when he hit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q51wlZSgN7g

He had a splash briefly, I guess he didn't care to play on it anymore as it hasn't been present recently.

Nice find on his cymbals, interesting that the profile mentions their latest album... The Resistance... not sure how up-to-date that page is.

Also, if anyone has any tips, suggestions, or info regarding a snare drum I am still looking to purchase a new one soon. Not sure if I should go with aluminum or black nickel over brass, or if anyone has any other suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q51wlZSgN7g

He had a splash briefly, I guess he didn't care to play on it anymore as it hasn't been present recently.

Nice find on his cymbals, interesting that the profile mentions their latest album... The Resistance... not sure how up-to-date that page is.

Also, if anyone has any tips, suggestions, or info regarding a snare drum I am still looking to purchase a new one soon. Not sure if I should go with aluminum or black nickel over brass, or if anyone has any other suggestions?

Good spot, he must've ditched it after Belfast because I can't see it in Glasgow:

I've been looking into snare drums recently, what kind of sound are you after? I went into my local drum shop and the guy let me hear a few of the snares which was really helpful, it definitely gave me an idea of what I wanted. I've been drawn to the black panther machete which is a 14x6.5 steel drum. It has such a huge cutting sound to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what cymbal he's using under the second crash and china?

Looks like a smaller ~12" China. He used it for Reading in 2011, also noticed it in the making of Big Freeze video, don't think it got used on tour though.

448px-Reading_and_Leeds_Festivals_2011-08_%E2%80%93_Dominic_Howard_practising_Screenager.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks like he's simplified things around his kit. Taken out a floor tom and moved the electric pads around. Also looks like the china cymbal has gone and he's replaced the ride with a crash/ride. Would be interesting if someone finds the specs for this kit.

Muse-Jools.thumb.jpg.4bb2e2889029389d7bc548f0e1e00894.jpg

Muse-Jools2.thumb.jpg.71178b26d609953c9ba3d774818057ca.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like he's simplified things around his kit. Taken out a floor tom and moved the electric pads around. Also looks like the china cymbal has gone and he's replaced the ride with a crash/ride. Would be interesting if someone finds the specs for this kit.

Yes, gone are the 14" floor tom and 18" china cymbal. From the research that I've made, his kit's and other gear's specs at the moment are the following:

Q Drum Co. mirror polished stainless steel drum kit (or Copper kit for the last U.S. shows, or Black mahogany/poplar/mahogany with brass inlays for the last European festival shows respectively)

22" x 16" kick (24" diameter kick for the Copper)

12" x 9" rack tom

16" x 16" floor tom

18" x 16" concert tom (no bottom head)

Various Q metal snares, usually 14" x 7" Gentleman Copper. Other snares include 14"x7" Plate Aluminum, Gentleman Aluminum and Gentleman Brass.

2 x Q custom-made light up electronic drum pads (that replaced the ribbon crasher and tambourine)

Zildjian cymbals:

15" K light hi-hats

19" K Custom dark crash (or K Sweet crash with the copper kit at the last U.S. and Mexico shows)

22" K light ride

20" A Custom EFX

Remo drumheads:

Powerstroke 3 (clear on kick batter and coated on concert tom)

Controlled sound coated with center dot (snare)

Coated Emperors (tom tops)

Clear Ambassadors (tom bottoms)

Hazy snare size Ambassador (snare side)

Custom clear kick front head with Simulation Theory text

2 x Roland PD-8 pads

Roland SPD-30 octapad

Combination of Roland RT-30 and 2Box triggers for kick, snare, and toms

DW 9000 hardware, hi-hat stand, throne, and pedals

Remo quick lock hi-hat clutch

M1 Snareweight dampener

Vic Firth AJ2 sticks

Dom_2018_drums.thumb.jpg.2ebd97d1c54dc8b45e22807c64c32e47.jpg

Muse_drums_2018_2.thumb.jpg.5d8309d39abca25a4a54cdc59929666c.jpg

Edited by Kmusecian

• 7 months later...

He's brought the china back, k custom special dry trash china by the looks of it and a k custom special dry crash instead of the a custom efx crash. Prefer this to the way he had it before.

61407253_10156828070893725_4159825690469859328_o.jpg.60e6bae587aaa6c54da978428caeb4ee.jpg

Edited by Kit_Mapex

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 6:15 PM, Kit_Mapex said:

He's brought the china back, k custom special dry trash china by the looks of it and a k custom special dry crash instead of the a custom efx crash. Prefer this to the way he had it before.

61407253_10156828070893725_4159825690469859328_o.jpg.60e6bae587aaa6c54da978428caeb4ee.jpg

Yeah definitely happy that he added china cymbal again!, He also switched his hi-hats from K light 15" to K Sweet hats (most likely 15", but size is unconfirmed) and his ride back to the 23" A Sweet ride (Dom had K light ride 22" for the ST promo shows, K Constantinople 22" thin overhammered for most of the U.S. tour and K Custom special dry ride [no idea of the size, probably 21"] for the last show of the U.S. tour)

On 7/4/2019 at 2:19 PM, Kit_Mapex said:

Any drummers still about? I need ride cymbal advice. 22" K Custom Dark Ride or 23" A Sweet Ride?

Kinda depends what type of sound you are going for. Both are pretty versatile, washy and easily crashable. From my experience, the K custom dark has a little less ping and stick definition and is darker (as the name implies) than the A Sweet. The A Sweet ride is a little more pingy and the bell is a little more cutting. Dom used the K custom dark for the entire T2L tour and the A Sweet for the entire Drones tour, if you preferred the ride sound in one of those eras over the other.

In case if you want something that is a lot more pingy and cutting (but less crashable) similar to older Muse songs/tours, something like 22" K Custom medium ride or 22" A custom ride would fit better for that kind of purpose. It would be good if you have the possibility to try both of them in person, but it's also good to listen to sound samples from youtube (Memphis drum shop has a ton of cymbal demo videos)

Edited by Kmusecian

On 7/22/2019 at 7:06 PM, Kmusecian said:

Kinda depends what type of sound you are going for. Both are pretty versatile, washy and easily crashable. From my experience, the K custom dark has a little less ping and stick definition and is darker (as the name implies) than the A Sweet. The A Sweet ride is a little more pingy and the bell is a little more cutting. Dom used the K custom dark for the entire T2L tour and the A Sweet for the entire Drones tour, if you preferred the ride sound in one of those eras over the other.

In case if you want something that is a lot more pingy and cutting (but less crashable) similar to older Muse songs/tours, something like 22" K Custom medium ride or 22" A custom ride would fit better for that kind of purpose. It would be good if you have the possibility to try both of them in person, but it's also good to listen to sound samples from youtube (Memphis drum shop has a ton of cymbal demo videos)

Definitely prefer the rides that are crashable, love being able to go between the two  sounds so easily. I'm guessing if the dark ride has less definition it's going to be harder to pick up any ping shortly after crashing it? There's hundreds of Memphis drum shop cymbal demos which is great!  Although always difficult to tell when it's mic'd up  in a decent studio, need to do some demos in a dingy garage or local pub 😂

Just looking at the prices as well and the A sweet is about £170 cheaper in some places! Would love to hear these in person but it's a bit of trek to the nearest drum centre.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:48 AM, Kit_Mapex said:

I'm guessing if the dark ride has less definition it's going to be harder to pick up any ping shortly after crashing it?

Both of the cymbals are medium-thin, so there is not a huge difference, but the sweet ride's ping is a little brighter so it should come through a little better than the K dark's. The dark ride will be a little easier to crash though when compared to the sweet ride because it's a tiny bit smaller cymbal, and the dark ride has a little less weight because of it. But one thing with Zildjian's rides especially, is that they tend to have a quite big scale of "acceptable" weights for a given cymbal. E.g. a quick youtube search shows K custom dark 22" rides ranging from 2410 grams to 2889 grams, and A sweet rides ranging from 2746 grams to 3025 grams. So you never know what kind of unit you're getting unless you can try them out in person or purchase from a place that sells the cymbals by weight. But the best thing to do is probably just listen through a ton of them, and getting an opinion which cymbal generally sounds better to your ears.

I'm currently playing an 23" A Custom 25th anniversary medium-thin ride (which is very similar to an A sweet ride, the A Custom just has a little smoother lathing and a brilliant finish on top), and it's by far my most favourite and most versatile ride cymbal I have played. It crashes easily, it's got a good wash but the stick definition still comes through, and the bell is bright and cutting. I played around with a 22" K Custom dark ride about a month ago, and it's ping was definitely a little darker when compared to my A custom 23", but it wasn't too far off.