it is yeah, Niles i agree the Hawaiian Thunder finish is not that impressive, but i wouldn't say no ;)

could you give specs on your kit mr niles please?

I quite like the idea of combining zildjian and sabian cymbals together. The HHX series of sabian are amazing, the perfect tones out of a crash cymbal, dark with a hint of trash, but then also you have the A's and the K's of Zildjian

yum:D

12x10 tom - 6mm thick, double 45° (Remo Clear Emperor / Aquarian Classic Clear)

14x12 tom - 6mm thick, double 45° (Remo Clear Emperor / Aquarian Classic Clear)

16x14 floor - 6mm thick, double 45° (Remo Clear Emperor / Aquarian Classic Clear)

22x16 kick - 8mm thick, double 35° w/ SFR (Aquarian Super Kick I / Aquarian Classic Clear w/ 6" Holz)

They're not complete yet, though, and I'm in the process of choosing a nice general purpose snare which I'll order from America.

It's narrowed down to:

Mapex Black Panther (for 14x6.5 Steel)

or

Pearl Sensitone Elite (for 14x6.5 Brass or Stainless Steel)

or

Tama Artwood Maple (for 14x6.5 or 14x8) which'll end up costing me more because I hate the lugs on it and I'll have to buy new ones. Odds are this in 14x6.5 is my snare though.

is there any links to your kit mr Niles?

They look like clear vistalites, except I have ISO mounts, my bass hoops are all black and I don't have those internal mufflers.

VistaliteTopView.jpg

by the sounds of it you love fat snares, i would recommend a Ludwig Black Beauty but by the sounds of it there to small for your liking

Black Beauties come in 6.5 deep. But yeah, I love fat, ringy and wet snares. 6.5 or 8 depth. I try never to buy a drum without hearing what it, or a clone of it sounds like (especially not one worth US$500). Nothing else sounds like a black beauty because it's the only snare with a seamless nickel plated brass shell and Ludwig bearing edge, and I'll never get to hear one in the Pearl dominated drum shops we have here.

I have heard that they're very warm and mellow which is not what I'm looking for though. I want projection.

want a double bass, its either between the Iron Cobra or DW 7000

I'd go for the IC. 5000 and 9000 are DWs pro lines and they're alot more expensive than ICs. They're also prone to breaking.

Thank you but mine'll look a bit more like this (I couldn't be bothered removing the last muffler, Artwood's the wrong colour, too, I want super maple):

Customs.jpg

I'm not particularly fond of piccollos, no. There's a guy on the PDF who uses a 13x4 birch snare as his main and that I completely do not get.

Ooh, I'd be interested in hearing what the MP snare sounds like. Any snare can be made cracky cranked up real tight and with the right heads, but some were made for it, steel and birch in particular have heaps of high end.

Can someone help me out with this? I think the kit used on the TIRO video in the round table room was a Yamaha. The lugs look right and the tom mounting seems the right shape to be a YESS (I can't see very well).

does look like a yamaha, i heard that elsewere to

DUDE! the MP snare was seriously amazing :stunned: i was in the sound proof room for 30 mins just with that snare and i couldn't believe it

Ive always wanted to get the perfect resonance out of a snare, not to ringy and not to sharp and it felt perfect a nice crack sound with a perfect overtone

i then asked how much and the guy said 549.99

it was then when my heart sank:(

Hullaballoo:

Tama Maple Start Classic

12"x12"

14"x14"

16"x16"

( Do I have the bass drum and snare sizes, I will dig them out)

8" EFX

11" Oriental Splash

13" Mastersound Hi-Hats

18" A Custom Crash

19" A Custom Crash

18" Oriental China Trash

20" Dark K Custom Ride.

IC double, Aquarian heads

Not even close.

Reality:

Starclassic Maples

12x10 (have you ever tried mounting a 12 deep rack tom?)

14x14

16x16

22x16

14x6.5 Black Beauty (LB417)

8" EFX??? Have you ever seen an EFX? They have holes cut out of them, tambourine jangles stapled on and only come in 16"

8" A Custom Splash

11" FX Oriental Trash Splash

18/19" A Custom Crashes

18" FX Oriental China Trash

22" K Custom Ride

Remo (Emperor) on the toms, Aquarian (Super Kick II) on the kick and snare (Hi-energy), IC double, roadpro stands

Oh ok, that's not true. I do care what people think but I don't care that they don't care about a post I decided to correct in a total eclipse of boredom.

Why? Because it was wrong. :confused: That's it, I'm just pedantic, or anal as it was put earlier. That and that's how I open a new topicn. I resurrected all these drum threads from the 26th page or so by replying to all their old posts.

Oh ok, that's not true. I do care what people think but I don't care that they don't care about a post I decided to correct in a total eclipse of boredom.

Why? Because it was wrong. :confused: That's it, I'm just pedantic, or anal as it was put earlier. That and that's how I open a new topicn. I resurrected all these drum threads from the 26th page or so by replying to all their old posts.

I actually meant the whole thread ;). Anyway, on topic: How are normal hoops made and whats the difference between them and die-cast hoops? Also, wouldn't CNC milled hoops be the best? I've played drums for years but never bothered too much with the hardware side of things... :)