• 4 months later...
perhaps somebody know Dom's drum tuning? from snare, tom toms, to bass? (I mean, what's the note)

You don't normally tune a kit to a note, just a sound you like (apart from being very difficult, it can mess up the rest of the band).

As far as I know, Dom doesn't tune to notes, you'll just have to play around until you find a sound you like/that sounds like Dom's.

You don't normally tune a kit to a note, just a sound you like (apart from being very difficult, it can mess up the rest of the band).

As far as I know, Dom doesn't tune to notes, you'll just have to play around until you find a sound you like/that sounds like Dom's.

yeah, everyone told me that, I'm desperate already to tune my drums correctly, so perhaps someone could help me with note tuning..:$

and since I'd like to start practicing by covering muse, I need Dom to tune my drums (or just the tuning if anyone know)

yeah, everyone told me that, I'm desperate already to tune my drums correctly, so perhaps someone could help me with note tuning..:$

and since I'd like to start practicing by covering muse, I need Dom to tune my drums (or just the tuning if anyone know)

The way I was taught to tune a drum was to get the head on and tightened just so that there are no crinkles, then use 1/2 or 1/4 turns on all the lug nuts (going one-opposite, two right-opposite, two right-opposite, etc.), occasionally going round the very edge flicking or very gently tapping with a stick to make sure the entire drum sounds the same. Every now and then hit (as you normally would hit a drum) the centre to see if you have reached a sound you like. If you use e/o-rings or moongel/gorilla snot, etc. get it to roughly the right sound then fine tune it once you have put it on.

I've heard that some people tune it very tight, then down-tune, but this is bad for the heads, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Now, this is a very time-consuming activity as it is and trying to get an actual note takes even longer. Also, you'll probably need perfect-pitch (a natural ability to tell what any note is just be listening to it -- you have to be born with it, unless you've spent your life working with music) as I don't think any guitar tune will work, what with the attack of the heads, the sustain, etc.

Finally, each drum will have natural tone were it sounds loudest (and usually best), but this requires very careful tuning of both the top and bottom heads. In case you want to know, this tone is when the drum shell vibrates at its natural frequency.

So, will you can tune a drum to a note, its really not worth it. (It also messes up you're band mates.)

As for tuning your kit like Dom's, you'll just have to listen to Muse songs (may I recommend Map of the Problematique?) and try to get your kit sound like his.

The way I was taught to tune a drum was to get the head on and tightened just so that there are no crinkles, then use 1/2 or 1/4 turns on all the lug nuts (going one-opposite, two right-opposite, two right-opposite, etc.), occasionally going round the very edge flicking or very gently tapping with a stick to make sure the entire drum sounds the same. Every now and then hit (as you normally would hit a drum) the centre to see if you have reached a sound you like. If you use e/o-rings or moongel/gorilla snot, etc. get it to roughly the right sound then fine tune it once you have put it on.

I've heard that some people tune it very tight, then down-tune, but this is bad for the heads, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Now, this is a very time-consuming activity as it is and trying to get an actual note takes even longer. Also, you'll probably need perfect-pitch (a natural ability to tell what any note is just be listening to it -- you have to be born with it, unless you've spent your life working with music) as I don't think any guitar tune will work, what with the attack of the heads, the sustain, etc.

Finally, each drum will have natural tone were it sounds loudest (and usually best), but this requires very careful tuning of both the top and bottom heads. In case you want to know, this tone is when the drum shell vibrates at its natural frequency.

So, will you can tune a drum to a note, its really not worth it. (It also messes up you're band mates.)

As for tuning your kit like Dom's, you'll just have to listen to Muse songs (may I recommend Map of the Problematique?) and try to get your kit sound like his.

I've tried anything, almost, is it a problem if I'm using reso-like head as my batter? (freebies, haven't got anything better) maybe that's the problem, my $200 drums + o ring sounds better than $1000 -_-

Apparently there are loads of drummers who will tune their entire kit to the key of each song (for recording).

Personally I cba when all i'm going to do is suck all the mids out in the mix. Maybe if I had some nice drums i'd bother!

• 2 weeks later...

I was just watching HAARP and noticed that for 'Unintended' Dom isn't using the Clear Tama Drum set, instead, he is using a gold sparkle Gretsch kit. Is this a stuff up in the editing (taking Unintended from the other night which wasn't filmed?) or did he actually change drum sets for the one song.

I've tried anything, almost, is it a problem if I'm using reso-like head as my batter? (freebies, haven't got anything better) maybe that's the problem, my $200 drums + o ring sounds better than $1000 -_-

I don't think it should make that much difference, but you'll probably get less attack and they'll wear out much more quickly.

O-rings (or E-rings) essentially deaden the sound, so they make it less important to buy an expensive kit (most of the price is in the materials which mostly affect tone and resonance; the things most affected by -rings). If you like the sound of your kit with O-rings on it (personally I wouldn't describe it as 'better'), keep them and tune it to the 'best' sound for them.

If you can splash out on decent heads, it can vastly improve the sound quality of your kit.

I was just watching HAARP and noticed that for 'Unintended' Dom isn't using the Clear Tama Drum set, instead, he is using a gold sparkle Gretsch kit. Is this a stuff up in the editing (taking Unintended from the other night which wasn't filmed?) or did he actually change drum sets for the one song.

Soldiers poem, unintended and blackout were played on that kit both nights.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been on here for a very very long time! hope everyone is well!

Basically, I'm selling a 19" Zildjian A custom Projection Crash and an 18" K custom dark crash

I bought both cymbals last year and played them around 2-3 times before i had to move to university and they are in box fresh nick..

Now due to the debt caused by university..i need to sell them asap.

I would welcome any offers in my inbox..i'm situated in Preston, Lancs

Cheers!

Edited by 6ixty_6ix

Haven't been on here for a very very long time! hope everyone is well!

Basically, I'm selling a 19" Zildjian A custom Projection Crash and an 18" K custom dark crash

I bought both cymbals last year and played them around 2-3 times before i had to move to university and they are in box fresh nick..

Now due to the debt caused by university..i need to sell them asap.

I would welcome any offers in my inbox..i'm situated in Preston, Lancs

Cheers!

Hate to say it, but... Selling Thread...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I want a new drum set, and I am thinking about getting the Tama Superstar Hyperdrive Custom. Does anybody here know about a better set in that league?

I want atleast 4 toms

I need hardware, but cymbals doesn`t have to be included

Suggestions?:)

If you can afford the Superstar, go for it. It's got John Karel's seal of approval which is more than enough for me.

As far as hardware is concerned, Anything above the basic Tama gear should suffice, depending on your price band and/or playing style.

For cymbals, I personally would love some Zildjian A- or K-customs. Sould go well with the kit too.