Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

Thanks for the reply. I thought it kinda came out of nowhere, because the song is clearly autobiographical to a degree, so I didn't see it coming at all. Besides, the whole getting brainwashed to be a killer hadn't even started, but with that line it seemed like our character was already there, with the help of his lover . :D

Matt said in one of those interviews that it was a personal song, but that he tweaked some aspects of it so that it would make more sense in context of the album theme.

Matt said in one of those interviews that it was a personal song, but that he tweaked some aspects of it so that it would make more sense in context of the album theme.

"Shit, this song has nothing to do with drones. Better throw the word drones in to make it fit."

Only thing I'm liking about this song at all are the vocals, and the drums in the second half of the song.

In an unrelated note: Dom seems to just get better and better with his drums. Nearly forgot how goddamn good he is at them.

What about Dead Inside shows any skill from Dom? Serious question.

I find that he is getting lazier and lazier on the albums.

Psycho and and Reapers are largely just straight 1-2-1-2 4/4 rock beats. And dead inside is mainly just one beat repeated with very little flavour added.

Still loving this song. Don't understand some of the lyric abuse on here. I've always loved Muse's lyrics because they don't just sprout out some meaningless crap like other artists, although they do have their moments (just popped into the 'Muse's worst lyrics' thread - some absolute shockers on there!). Sometimes, I don't even know what they're on about, but that usually intrigues me even more. I find the lyrics on Dead Inside so powerful, and beautifully delivered. There's a clear story, and a progression to that story too throughout the song. Best lyrics in a Muse song for a while in my opinion, although I also like Liquid State (also very powerful and personal - nice work Chris).

Wouldn't it all make more sense if Supremacy and Dead Inside switched places on albums? That way Dead Inside would flow into Madness, and the rest of T2L nicely, and Supremacy would flow into Psycho, and probably the rest of the Drones...

But then again... :logic:

But conceptually Dead Inside into Madness would make no sense. Supremacy into Psycho would probably work though.

Whenever someone makes the point that the lyrics aren't as bad as other artists, I feel like we should remind them that they're far from as good as many more.

Fair enough, I don't listen to many other bands. But compared to T2L, this is lyrically head and shoulders above most of the songs on there, apart from Chris' two songs funnily enough. In my opinion of course. This is where I think a concept album will work really well for Muse - a chance to tell a proper story, as opposed to a disparate collection of songs.

Fair enough, I don't listen to many other bands. But compared to T2L, this is lyrically head and shoulders above most of the songs on there, apart from Chris' two songs funnily enough. In my opinion of course. This is where I think a concept album will work really well for Muse - a chance to tell a proper story, as opposed to a disparate collection of songs.

I've found the lyrics so far to be similarly as shite as those on T2l, personally. I'm honestly a little scared about Muse doing a concept album, because they can be so heavy handed that any subtlety gets lost or was never there to begin with

Anyway, I love Dead Inside and I love Psycho. Reapers is a grower I think - finding it difficult to make it out from the live recordings, but I'm confident I'll like it. Also, Mercy, The Handler and The Globalist are apparently quite heavy and dark, so I'm confident I'll like them too. So all in all, that's 6 top songs there already (hopefully). I'll be pretty happy with that, although I obviously hope the other 4 songs aren't just filler.

I've just listened to Dead Inside then Psycho. They really does make sense together. The context they give each other elevates them both.

Still not loving Dead Inside, it actually reminded me of the Robbie Williams song 'No Regrets'. In my head the last 50 seconds really reminded me of No Regrets for some reason. Maybe it's the bass IDK :LOL:

Edited by CatchHellBlues

I love Psycho more but this song is really great as well, a really fun song that reminded me of Madness with the electronic first half and the rock second half (not sure which song I prefer just yet.) For me Muse's appeal has never been their lyrics (Space Dementia is my favourite Muse song and I'm still not completely sure what it's about really.) so they really don't bother me as much as they bother some of you.

No, but you might get a more consistent sounding album. Not that I can exactly judge whether the album is consistent or not until I hear it, so it's kind of a moot point.

Surely the album will be more consistent if you have several heavy songs in a row though?

And not a heavy song, a pop song, and then a few heavy songs in a row? :erm:

The song was released 2 days ago and we have 160 pages of discussion already. Nice.:LOL:

I love Dead Inside. Sexy and emotional.

The only part that I am not sure of is Feel me now (Come to me part of Madness ripoff).

Edited by Gnossienne