Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

This is growing on me. I didn't particularly dislike it, but I'm enjoying it a bit more now, like a 7/10. Having seen the clip of it being played live in Brighton, it does bring another dimension to the song.

I know the second half bores people with its four chord stuff, but I kinda prefer that part.

I don't dislike the 2nd half because of the chord progression so much as the uninspired vocal part...sure he hits some notes really well but there doesn't seem to be much direction or climax in the melody there

Yeah there's nothing too distinguishable that makes it better. I do like the synths at the end of the verses to be fair, but you're right, there is something missing from the end that could make it amazing.

The first half is so fucking good. The bassline and solo are erotic.

Second half is pretty good; those lyrics and vocals give me the feels. If it had more interesting guitar work it would've been amazing.

To me it's another example of Muse trying too hard not to go overboard.

Having had the time to fully digest this song I have to give my 2 cents on it in an overall sense. Because I feel this is probably the first song Muse has released as a single in a long time that your enjoyment you get out if it is based purely on personal preference. There isn't much I can find about the song that is "objectively bad"

I know that term gets laughed at and people like to think music is 100% subjective but in reality there are aspects of music that can be considered bad by fair criticism, ie: lazy song writing, obvious influences to the point of sounding like a tribute/parody(muse can be very guilty of this at times) cliche and generic sounds that have been done to death, cliche lyrics etc. or just the actual performance being bad. The only part of this song that slightly hits on lazy to me is the uninspired chord progression from the bridge on, those 4 chords.

But on this track I'm starting to feel like this is a genuinely good song through and through and if you don't like it it's because it's not what you (me, we) were expecting being poppy and electronic.

Even the two lyrics that people have made fun of I can defend for two reasons. "A million drones" yeah on paper it sounds bad, just like alot of the stuff on OoS and Abso sound bad on paper. But the execution and delivery of the vocals is so fantastic it completely obliterates how it sounds when spoken.

Then theres "the greatest guy" again it should bother me. But its obvious why its there. He had to find something from the male character's perspective that rhymed with "ablaze and alive" and "dead inside" Again this may be a bit on the lazy side. Maybe with a little more time he could've come up with something better. But again it doesn't really bother me for this reason and again because the vocals through out the song are so damn good.

It is also a really sad song, and seems to be very personal for Matt for obvious reasons. And you can hear the conviction in his voice when he delivers every lyric from the bridge onwards, a part I once thought was weak until I watched him sing it live on those Brighton videos.

Final thoughts though, yes with a bit more of a rock/electronic production vs the pop/electronic production it could have been even better, a bit more guitar would have improved it greatly imo.

I just can't think of any substantial and fair criticisms for this song other than the chords at the end. Saying it's shit because its pop doesn't amount to anything.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

I don't see why he should? It's a good way to discuss this.

Well in some cases people get carried away thinking they can describe all aspects of music in an objective way and it is annoying because its wrong. I don't think I did this at all so Idk where he came from. A person's enjoyment of a song is personal preference first and foremost which I also explained. There is more to music than that though. Must have read a few lines and stopped.

You could write a song with the same line repeated over and over and the same three chords and hell it may be catchy and people may love it. But it's going to be criticized for being lazy and "bad"

Citizen_Eraser can you please fucking stop talking about objectivity

Ayy thanks for the shoutout. Serious shit though the guy in the facebook group sounds like some /MU/ troll when he talked about that; "objectively bad" is a buzz term to incite something or to be ironic, most people with a brain don't say that.

I don't see why he should? It's a good way to discuss this.

Because there is no objectivity.

Saying stuff like "if you don't like it it's because it's not what you were expecting" or "There isn't much I can find about the song that is objectively bad" or "The only part of this song that slightly hits on objectively lazy to me" makes no sense.

It's still nothing more than his opinion. It's funny that right after "objectively lazy" he says "to me".