hello there. have I missed anything interesting in the past couple of months? or is it just 300 pages of people complaining about setlists?!
Matt has his guitar on a stand and only plays it for the solos, the rest is done by Morgan.

Yep.

And rightfully so. There's even less room for rotation now than there was for The Resistance tour. Way too theatrical for my liking. Also, lot more redundant songs being played.

Starlight/Mercy

Dead Inside/Madness/Undisclosed Desires (in a 17 song set)

Stage design Drones >>>>> T2L > BH&R > TR > Absolution

Average setlist structure BH&R > T2L > Absolution > TR >>>>>>>>>> Drones

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Nah, the Resistance had worse setlists. Especially when it came to the later portions of the US legs.

Two piano songs for the most part, Sunburn, Bliss, Butterflies and Hurricanes, Citizen Erased, Stockholm Syndrome, Map of the Problematique, MK Ultra and New Born all being played on the reg and the occasional appearance of Take a Bow, Unintended and an appearance of Ruled By Secrecy + a lot more rotation room

I'd honestly say the average TR tour setlist was a lot better than people remember - at least towards the end of the tour

Sunburn, Bliss, Butterflies and Hurricanes, Citizen Erased, ... MK Ultra... all being played on the reg

No they weren't Sunburn disappeared quickly in the first leg. Bliss, B&H and CE were mostly in stadiums and almost non-existant in arenas. MK Ultra was also only occasional and its alternative was Guiding Light.

But Stockholm, New Born, and Map being rather common was much nicer than the current.

I'd honestly say the average TR tour setlist was a lot better than people remember

This is relative, of course. I still have TR Tour in high regards, some european and arena arena shows were really, the stadium tour have some of the best shows Muse EVER did (Wembley, Manchester...) and the russian and australian shows were simply brilliant.

TR had some great sets RBS and Megalomania even popped up a couple of times towards the end Granted TR tour had some of the most static and repeated sets at a time, but there were some great rotations in there. Plus you got a guaranteed Eurasia and Stockholm thrown in too.

And Matt actually played all his guitar parts and didn't prance around the stage like Bono (apart from New Born).

No they weren't Sunburn disappeared quickly in the first leg. Bliss, B&H and CE were mostly in stadiums and almost non-existant in arenas. MK Ultra was also only occasional and its alternative was Guiding Light.

But Stockholm, New Born, and Map being rather common was much nicer than the current.

Sunburn was played in the stadiums, in the US and three times in Australia, CE and Bliss were rotated between at almost all the Australian gigs and at some American gigs, MK Ultra was played often at festivals, stadiums and European legs and Butterflies and Hurricanes was rotated with Citizen Etased a fair bit towards the final legs and the stadiums.

The first leg or two of the US tour was rather plain but in Europe, the second US leg and Australia/Asia there were a lot more rotations and songs that are now considered rarities being played. From what I recall over the last couple of months of the tour Guiding Light appeared less than Bliss, Citizen Erased and Butterflies and Hurricanes but that may have just been Australia.

Like was said in the above comment I guess it's subjective to which leg you're commenting on but for the most part TR Tour had a lot of rotation room and some good songs were played. T2L had a lot more actual rarities though.

I don't remember Sunbun ever being played in the US or stadiums in that tour.

Sunburn wasn't played on TR Tour but definitely was played on T2L. Saw it live in Dallas. RBS popped up on TR, I saw it.

TR Tour was better. IMO. Better crowd, performance and sets. Stockholm, Plug In Baby every night...actually felt like a rock show.

US gigs on the 2nd leg of the US tour got Take a Bow, Map of the Problematique, Ruled By Secrecy (more than the once I thought it popped up), MK Ultra, Bliss so they weren't that bad really

I think the main issue on TR tour was the huge differences in setlist quality between gigs. I just looked back at some of the legs rotations and honestly some of them were atrocious

I'd say later TR setlists were better than the average arena setlists we're getting now. And it's only fair to compare arenas to arenas and not festivals or stadiums since they're known to change up for those.

But also remember a big complaint was just how dull people found TR performances. Even the average setlists such as ACL on T2L tour is a lot more fun that many TR recordings. I haven't been all too impressed with what we've seen on this tour but I reserve proper judgment until I see for myself.

I'd say later TR setlists were better than the average arena setlists we're getting now. And it's only fair to compare arenas to arenas and not festivals or stadiums since they're known to change up for those.

But also remember a big complaint was just how dull people found TR performances. Even the average setlists such as ACL on T2L tour is a lot more fun that many TR recordings. I haven't been all too impressed with what we've seen on this tour but I reserve proper judgment until I see for myself.

While OKC 2010 had a few rarities it was 16 songs so saying that it was a better setlist simply isn't true. RBS & Map don't make up for a 16 song set.

I thought the performances for TR were great. Matt throwing his guitar in Stockholm and blinding the crowd with the amp in Plug In Baby was cool. It's too formulaic now; that spontaneity is gone.

Matt would never trash his guitar or go into a huge riff fest anymore, at least on this tour. Disappointing.

And the fans have lost interest. Just compare Sexyplane to what it once was, even in the States.

It's nice to see Bliss, CE and Apocalypse Please in the sets, even if it's just one OoS song at least.

Edited by ninsp

Never got the appeal with choreographed guitar smashing, especially not when he got older. And I certainly don't get how a gig can be disappointing without it. There was nothing spontaneous about it, except for the odd few gigs such as SBE 2013.

TR was bad in terms of set list variation, length, songs and performances.

Never got the appeal with choreographed guitar smashing, especially not when he got older. And I certainly don't get how a gig can be disappointing without it. There was nothing spontaneous about it, except for the odd few gigs such as SBE 2013.

TR was bad in terms of set list variation, length, songs and performances.

One night got Unintended and Feeling Good, the next got piano Cave and MK Ultra, then another night has two less songs, including Map being dropped :LOL:

Sunburn wasn't played on TR Tour but definitely was played on T2L. Saw it live in Dallas. RBS popped up on TR, I saw it.

TR Tour was better. IMO. Better crowd, performance and sets. Stockholm, Plug In Baby every night...actually felt like a rock show.

Sunburn was played on the TR tour, just not regularly.

Yeah the Europe arena tour on TR was very strangely structured, and the 16ers at Amneville and Liverpool had pretty terrible setlists for their era. But the following year's festivals looked worse - 14 for most of the shows in July and August 2010, with 13 at Sziget one of the few exceptions was pretty poor.

And yeah, Sunburn was played on that tour, but only on a handful of occasions, much like Citizen Erased on The 2nd Law tour.

Last night's looked poor after The Handler. Resistance needs to fuck off.

I've seen it. It doesn't get better, but I at least understand why they do what they do (the theatrics). It just seems like we skipped T2L and we're at the natural progression of TR tour where the stage dictates the show way more than it has any right to.

If they rotated the "hits" or got rid of Starlight and Madness and UD when playing Mercy and Dead Inside, we'd have three more songs.