I think Matt's voice was really ragged on the falsetto parts of The Handler. I don't know if he just needs to warm up/practice better, or if he's really starting to lose that part of his register. Makes me nervous if its the latter.

Not sure if it's strain or intentional, but I kinda like it. His falsettos are a bit screamier this tour.

Lol at people thinking they've stopped playing SS for good.

No one thinks that we just don't want it to be dropped at any gig

^

Kind of obvious that it hasn't been perma-dropped. People just aren't happy that it's been dropping out of setlists more often than usual in the last few weeks.

No one thinks that we just don't want it to be dropped at any gig

Personally I would rather Stockholm be rotated with another hard rock song like Dead Star or Assassin.

Also I have to say wtf is with Madness being in the fucking encore for the Rome gig...

Personally I would rather Stockholm be rotated with another hard rock song like Dead Star or Assassin.

Why?

I agree that there should be a rotation slot for heavy rarities like Dead Star, Assassin, Micro Cuts and Hyper Music but Stockholm should be it's own staple. Also, Stockholm works best as a closer while those other songs are more mid-set songs so a rotation wouldn't really work (though Assassin could probably work as a closer I guess).

Stockholm's pretty much the only good staple (aside from some new songs) left anymore so to see even that potentially fading out a bit is pretty sad.

I think Matt's voice was really ragged on the falsetto parts of The Handler. I don't know if he just needs to warm up/practice better, or if he's really starting to lose that part of his register. Makes me nervous if its the latter.

I'm pretty afraid it's the latter, as well, but if it is, it happened a hell of a lot faster than I would have expected and I'd wonder if he also damaged something at some point. But, you'd think he'd have had that looked into.

He's still not in good shape, and he's still jet-setting around the day before these gigs, which probably really doesn't help.

He looked so tired at Vieilles that he couldn't keep his eyes open (I mean, other than the normal fact he opens his eyes like three times a gig... that shot where he was mugging for the camera he looked like death.)

Lol at people thinking they've stopped playing SS for good.

It's more the disappointment that they have one heavy staple that people really still want to see after all these years, but instead they keep all the other tracks that feel super worn out and lacking in energy (and SS seemed like it was only getting better live) and bring out stuff like US (last tour to replace SS) and Supremacy.

T'was a great combo at Download.

City Of Delusion > Assassin > Reapers > Stockholm would be the ultimate though.

If you told me during the BH&R tour that Assassin would be back before City of Delusion 9 years later, I would've said you're nuts. What the hell happened to that song? It's like they forgotten it exists.

If you told me during the BH&R tour that Assassin would be back before City of Delusion 9 years later, I would've said you're nuts. What the hell happened to that song? It's like they forgotten it exists.
I think it reflects the attention it gets from fans these days. Don't think Muse have gotten any requests for it in years.

Meh, doesn't really surprise me, like Tjet said it's not frequently (or ever, really) requested. I'm surprised Assassin's only just come back this year, and only 'cause fans heavily requested it at that. Seemed like probably the most popular album track from BH&R and the kind of track that'd always pop up every now and again. I guess only the singles tend to survive though, it's been like that for quite a long time now.

It is kinda shocking how little of BH&R survived past it's respective tour though, compared to OOS and Absolution. It's been pretty much only Starlight, Supermassive, Map and Knights since 2009 (apart from Soldier's Poem like twice + TAB a few times) and even then Map's faded out over the last few years. Shame, 'cause I'd much rather hear COD, Assassin, Map, Hoodoo and Invincible over CE, Dead Star or Micro Cuts again. A single tear never fails to appear when I think about it.

Edited by Jobby

I'm pretty afraid it's the latter, as well, but if it is, it happened a hell of a lot faster than I would have expected and I'd wonder if he also damaged something at some point. But, you'd think he'd have had that looked into.

He's still not in good shape, and he's still jet-setting around the day before these gigs, which probably really doesn't help.

He looked so tired at Vieilles that he couldn't keep his eyes open (I mean, other than the normal fact he opens his eyes like three times a gig... that shot where he was mugging for the camera he looked like death.)

It's more the disappointment that they have one heavy staple that people really still want to see after all these years, but instead they keep all the other tracks that feel super worn out and lacking in energy (and SS seemed like it was only getting better live) and bring out stuff like US (last tour to replace SS) and Supremacy.

I watched this last night when I couldn't sleep and you're right, he does sound out of shape... actually it made me wonder if he's got the same absolute bastard vocal fatigue issues as me... excuse me if I don't use the proper scientific terms as I'm not a voice doctor or even a trained singer, but:

I'm struggling with not being able to handle my longer notes; it's not so much that I run out of air, but just lose power and I have to move along to the next one quicker or stick another note in so it still 'sounds good' and you don't have a gap there that makes it obvious you've ran out of steam (bellz does that LOADS in that Vieilles gig)

And I identified with the way he's shouting/belting some of the words when there's a big jump in pitch, I find myself doing that sometimes in case I can't reach them otherwise, and then there's the way he changes the vowel sounds when he's at a lower pitch - he changes 'I' for 'ay' for example (noted mostly in PiB, 'ay've exposed your lies')... that comes from a fear of fudging the note or losing/squeaking it, another thing I do all the time.

Buuut I had this problem in 2008 and it got better, and it's back now when it matters :mad: but anyway... it's something that comes and goes. A doc told me it's really difficult to fuck your voice up forever unless you get a physical problem like persistent nodules or other lumps and bumps.