He sounds strained during a lot of songs lately, tbh. Dead Inside I thought was worse than the Handler, and I've seen some really bad Mercys.

And it couldn't really be the Chinese permission issue if Uprising is in the set, could it?

Dead Inside and Mercy are lead singles though, to be fair.

He sounds strained during a lot of songs lately, tbh. Dead Inside I thought was worse than the Handler, and I've seen some really bad Mercys.

And it couldn't really be the Chinese permission issue if Uprising is in the set, could it?

I think he wants to rest his voice, maybe he realises in the end something is wrong - or they simply like to play different songs now ;)

I wonder which lightshow they had during Reapers? As the video was banned in China and it used to be on the huge screen behind the band.

True, but he's already sort of squawking through two songs, singles or no, what difference does three make?

If it's really a huge deal, he could just alter the ending of TH and not go for those notes.

I mean, it would suck, but not nearly as much as what Madness has become.

Also, that they want to play different songs clearly isn't important to Muse. :chuckle:

Uprising was not played at either mainland China gigs (it might appear in HK - they played it when they gigged there in 2010).

Do agree DI is a pretty strained sounding performance. Same also on some recent performances of TIRO.

I am actually quite surprised at the lack of The Handler. Why on earth remove a clear fan favorite from the current album in favor of more old stuff...?

Except, those setlists also seemed quite short.

From what I remember, they came on at about 9.30pm and finished at about 11.15pm, which is fairly standard length for a normal Muse show I guess, if that helps? Just a lot of well-known songs in there.

Edited by Bs

They played Uprising and not TH in Bangkok, didn't they?

Maybe I'm not remembering right.

I don't feel they're playing enough songs, tbh, that gig had, what? 16?

That's more festival length and they played more at some recent festivals.

I would expect more from their own shows; a lot more.

Of course, I think I got 15 during TR...

If The Handler is not a staple from now on I am going to be extremely disappointed. That's the song I'm most excited to see, along with Stockholm Syndrome. Missing out on both would be tragic.

No, dying of starvation is tragic. You missing out on a band playing a song is not tragic.

There's nice video of Unsustainable. I think it sounds way better than on T2L tour.

Indeed! It sounds great.

Even more, that is what a fan video should be, good sound, superb video quality, no camera shaking and no lame zooms in and out. The light designer must be happy. :happy:

Muse should record all their shows that way and upload then to YT with the premise no fan should bring his/her camera to the venue. In the ticket they can put:

WE WILL UPLOAD THE WHOLE GIG TO YOUTUBE, SO LEFT YOUR CAMERA AT HOME AND ENJOY THE SHOW. YOU FUCKIN' BASTARD.

Maybe he didn't take lightly the fans mocking him for the fails in The Handler solo :ninja:

That thought crossed my mind too.

Then again, he knows himself that he keeps messing it up, and he can't seriously believe that no one notices? :LOL:

So he should just rehearse a bit more and bloody play it again. :phu:

Jared Leto has been in amazing shape for a few years now though, and the reason he's sounded quite bad at times has been because his material is insanely difficult. He was literally spitting blood at the end of the tour for This Is War (where most of the live material I heard sounded good iirc)

If he's spitting blood because the material is difficult, doesn't that tell you that his technique is no way near up to par?

On topic, if Matt's voice is failing that's a real shame. Surely he could do something about it? Get into proper shape and warm up more or something. Not to be too paparazziish, but I don't think he's been particularly fit since the BH&R period - not that he was exactly rippling with muscles back then, but he seemed pretty spry and energetic.

Edited by bumpypotato

Then again, he knows himself that he keeps messing it up, and he can't seriously believe that no one notices? :LOL:

Anyway, is extremly rude to tell someone that. I know in this age live shows are more important that records but write to an artist to tell him he missed a few notes in a solo of a new song is simply wrong.

If he's spitting blood because the material is difficult, doesn't that tell you that his technique is no way near up to par?

On topic, if Matt's voice is failing that's a real shame. Surely he could do something about it? Get into proper shape and warm up more or something. Not to be too paparazziish, but I don't think he's been particularly fit since the BH&R period - not that he was exactly rippling with muscles back then, but he seemed pretty spry and energetic.

Leto uses a lot of vocal fry/screams and he's a self taught vocalist so wouldn't surprise me if it was a mixture of his various times being sick, lack of fitness and unorthodox technique

Yeah I feel that too, although at the gig with RaTM, (LA Rising was it?) he seemed to have been actually working out and stuff again but who even really knows with him anymore, he does seem a little lazy with his preperation but only he really knows how fit he is

Speaking of this, I just listened to Cave from 2009 and I was amazed how different he sounded then, so clear and I'd say natural... Hope those times will eventually return .:(

Firstly, I never said a word about Leto's technique. But while we're on the subject, technique doesn't matter if the material you're singing is extremely difficult. Adam Lambert is a good example of nearly flawless technique, but if he's singing mixed G5s and G#5s in most songs, it doesn't matter. Your voice is gonna take a hit.

You can have perfect training technique, but if you're lifting 50kgs more than you can handle, you're gonna be in pain.

Secondly, in Matt's case it has mostly been about cardio, since as you're saying he has never really been ripped. As it's been said a bunch of times now, Matt has literally said that he didn't work out before touring this time, despite having done so for every other tour. I think it's obvious what's causing a lot of his problems.

There's nice video of Unsustainable. I think it sounds way better than on T2L tour.

Sounds exactly the same to me.

I'm pretty sure the only reason he slips up on it sometimes is because he's moving about, not because it's hard to play so rehearsing it wouldn't really do much. The only thing he can do is move less or concentrate more.

Though I doubt he's particularly bothered anyway.

Anyway, is extremly rude to tell someone that. I know in this age live shows are more important that records but write to an artist to tell him he missed a few notes in a solo of a new song is simply wrong.

Not really, it was said and responded to in a fairly jovial way. It's not like they called him an awful guitarist or performer or anything.

Mocking things like his speech impediment, his weight/figure, or his tooth (did he get that fixed? I can't remember) is rude.

His answer tweet sounded rather funny to me, of course it was only one word... but seeing how many times it was favourited, he must know people are not trying to be mean about it.

And yes, I worry way too much about those things. Mother hen syndrome or something. :chuckle:

I thought his voice was better on The 2nd Law tour than on Black Holes. Maybe it was down to more challenging material being on the 2012 record, but on HAARP and a few of the shows in the lead-up, his voice doesn't quite sound right, whereas it was very good at shows on the T2L touring campaign.

I think he knows The Handler line was a joke. Not sure why its been rested for now though, but presumably if we're getting full Drones on the main 360 tour, it'll be back soon enough. Hopefully it won't be another MK Ultra.

Firstly, I never said a word about Leto's technique. But while we're on the subject, technique doesn't matter if the material you're singing is extremely difficult. Adam Lambert is a good example of nearly flawless technique, but if he's singing mixed G5s and G#5s in most songs, it doesn't matter. Your voice is gonna take a hit.

You can have perfect training technique, but if you're lifting 50kgs more than you can handle, you're gonna be in pain.

Secondly, in Matt's case it has mostly been about cardio, since as you're saying he has never really been ripped. As it's been said a bunch of times now, Matt has literally said that he didn't work out before touring this time, despite having done so for every other tour. I think it's obvious what's causing a lot of his problems.

Oh I know, but it seemed like an odd comparison to make given the circumstances. And regardless, there's a very fine line between taking a hit and spitting blood.

I've been pretty out of the loop with all things Muse, but no doubt that's at the root of the issue.