Back on the topic of artwork, I Think Mahurins stuff is generally pretty great, and I'm quite confident that whatever he comes up with will be pleasing. And for the record, I also think that some of Thorgersons stuff for Muse was pretty uninspired.

Some of Mahurin's stuff comes off amateur (see his Tom Waits album cover especially), however, some of it looks absolutely incredible. I don't agree that Thorgerson's work for Muse was uninspired, I think it's some of his best work. Especially BH&R, just filled with meaning.

I personally thought BH&R's album artwork was their worst! But that's just me. My favourite artwork was probably Absolution or Resistance, closely followed by Showbiz.

I don't understand all the hate for T2L; I thought the artwork and the colour scheme worked really well.

This Matt Mahurin guy seems to do really dark, unappealing looking covers that seem more suited to death metal bands. He is making a Muse cover though, so hopefully he gets the feel of the record and makes something cool. As I always buy t shirts and merch, usually muse shirts look really cool so hopefully it leads to some decent looking clothing merch.

Some of Mahurin's stuff comes off amateur (see his Tom Waits album cover especially), however, some of it looks absolutely incredible. I don't agree that Thorgerson's work for Muse was uninspired, I think it's some of his best work. Especially BH&R, just filled with meaning.

TomWaits-MuleVariations.jpg

I've always thought that the artwork for BH&R was pretty bland, to be honest. Meaning or no meaning, I just don't think it looks very good.

The image doesn't have to be something completely new though? Putting aside the fact it was from the net I think it looked cool on the black backdrop. The majority of people who saw that art on posters in music stores would have found it interesting I'm sure. Sadly the record wasn't as good as previous albums.

The image doesn't have to be something completely new though? Putting aside the fact it was from the net I think it looked cool on the black backdrop. The majority of people who saw that art on posters in music stores would have found it interesting I'm sure. Sadly the record wasn't as good as previous albums.

It doesn't necessarily have to, but it didn't fit the theme nor did it show any particular excitement on their part. I always got the vibe that they used this artwork (and even went so far as to use the Higgs Boson as a placeholder for a while) because they had no ideas. Looking at it reminds me how the record was more of a "grab bag" than anything.

OoS is the simplest, the most striking, the most raw and bad ass looking cover... Also it's the most noticeable due to its color. It's my favourite.

TR is very good looking, but it's very rainbow-ish...

Absolution is very powerful but not very noticeable...

T2L is okay, nothing special, it looks good on a shelf though...

I don't like the Showbiz and BH&R covers honestly.

I'm bored.

OoS is the simplest, the most striking, the most raw and bad ass looking cover... Also it's the most noticeable due to its color. It's my favourite.

TR is very good looking, but it's very rainbow-ish...

Absolution is very powerful but not very noticeable...

T2L is okay, nothing special, it looks good on a shelf though...

I don't like the Showbiz and BH&R covers honestly.

I'm bored.

I liked the Black Holes artwork to be honest, it was simple and just sort of fit the album

The "blokes around the table" are supposed to be The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse.

I'm not that bothered about the album art. There's no way that LP 7's album art could be as bad as the artwork for Iron Maiden's Dance Of Death. That's got to be some of the fugliest album art of all time.

No, they're not the Four Horsemen. That's the commonly accepted explanation, but if you look closer, you can see that there's a lot more meaning in it.

Black_Holes_and_Revelations.jpg

The suits of each of the men show what they mean. All the eyes are on the one closest to the camera, I'm not sure what the meaning of it is. The man to the right wearing gold, symbolises money. The one across from him, adorned with religious symbols, is religion and is wearing blinders, blind to all but money. Not sure what the man suited with mirrors is.. Possibly vanity? Can't see the problem in themselves?

This is the Tom Waits album art I meant to call amateur, it's just terrible.

0045778663262.png

The eyes are the government, and the mirrors are vanity/selfishness.

I thought it was meant to be a new take on the 4 horsemen theme, with human created problems overtaking the classical meanings.

That's why there's tiny horses on the table.

The sitting at the table put me in mind of a board meeting between evils.

I dunno, I really liked it.

I thought it was meant to be a new take on the 4 horsemen theme, with human created problems overtaking the classical meanings.

Thank you so much for finishing my theory. I came up with that a while ago on the meaning of it, never could figure out what the other men were. I do really like it as well.

Looking at some of Matt Mahurin's work, however, I think that there's really good potential there, I'm very interested to see what he can do with Muse. It'll definitely be more interesting & more passionate than the boring (however colourful) cover for T2L.

:yesey::yesey::yesey::yesey:

I never noticed the horses on the table! Interesting. There only appears to be 3 horses though, yet 4 men?

Was the Origin artwork made just for Muse though? I thought it was an already existing artwork they used as the booklet had lots of other artworks with the same title?
they asked a bunch of artists to do artwork with just the title to go by, hence lots of different stuff.