Found it....

I've actually never used the distortion function on the OC-3, but it sounds pretty good other than that. I wouldn't say the sub machine can do that tone of Matt's that you describe though, but it's fairly versatile in that it has fuzz, and then the two octave options, as well as a series switch for the lower octave

That's very helpful thanks for finding that!

Yeah I looked at a few demos of the submachine, definitely the fuzz wasn't as raw as Matt's fuzz tone, but I did like the really fat sounds it can give you with the sub-octave settings.

All well and good, but to get those tones, with those amps requires volumes that will cause permanent hearing loss and get you evicted from home. Of course I'm not saying you don't have a sound grated studio or whatever, but don't get an AC30 or 1959 for your bedroom!

This is what usually causes all of the second guessing for me. I'm trying to get that middle ground of having something that isn't totally useless in a bedroom/home setting for messing around at low volumes, but at the same time I know that when I can crank the volume up when rehearsing I can find the tone that I really want.

I feel that if I buy for the bedroom then I'd be found wanting when the sound I am getting really matters, and it seems like a waste of cash! Like buying a Kia for racing because you know it'll be better for the school run in the mornings. :LOL:

All well and good, but to get those tones, with those amps requires volumes that will cause permanent hearing loss and get you evicted from home. Of course I'm not saying you don't have a sound grated studio or whatever, but don't get an AC30 or 1959 for your bedroom!

I wish I knew this before!

Not entirely sure what Matt was describing his 1959HW to have. I understand the internally bridged channels, but not the gain jumping bit.... maybe it's just a master volume, but it's located in one of the inputs on the front, which doesn't make the most sense.

There's an interview from T2L era where he talks about it a little, but I can't find it

It's a common mod. The 1969 has two input volumes for the hi and low channels. He has them bridged with a master input volume.

Master input volume?

How does this work exactly? I'm guessing it's not the usual pre phase inverter JCM 800 style master volume you're referring to

Master input volume?

How does this work exactly? I'm guessing it's not the usual pre phase inverter JCM 800 style master volume you're referring to

very interesting question

there is only two master volume options I know - pre and post phase inverter. And in the most of Plexi mods - post PI is top option.

Voodoo Amps offers PPIMV as standard volume add-on and promises 100% transparent sounding mod

http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modifications/Mod%22Add-On%22Features/MasterVolume(PPIMV)/tabid/264/Default.aspx

Edited by sergeykarakich

I think you're getting confused. I said a master input volume, as in one not two input volumes.

I'm not talking about master volume mods, that's a completely different subject. Personally, I favour post phase inverter for marshalls.

So you mean like the two volume controls a 1959 usually has, except one that controls both channels?

If so, I can't imagine that being a useful modification compared to stock. Why not use a patch cable or Y cable and blend the channels using the two existing volume controls?

Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

And the post phase inverter ones are alright if you use a good sounding variation. I just don't like that it makes the presence control useless until you turn it back up close to half way

muse2.jpg

It's a bit difficult to say what's going on there. I wouldn't really use those settings on a 1959 that's more or less stock, especially for distorted sounds.

Heh I'm genuinely willing to split it 50/50 with anyone who wants the head :pope:

I know, I could always custom order one from Marshall, but technically it's not from the same edition

I know what you mean, you'll never be satisfied till you get the real thing. Pay the money mate, can always sell the head on.

Good point

I hope they're not matched/numbered to the cabinet or anything (there's no number on the one I currently have anyway - just the little badge in the corner), because I've already poured $500 or something into the new PCB and labor for this one.

https://reverb.com/item/1386022-marshall-jcm-2000-dsl100-head-and-1960a-cabinet-1998-orange-crunch-series

not a bad price... I think I must have paid more than that just for the head and repairs

Anyone after the head only?

If only I had the money... :facepalm:

Pretty sure I'm going to attempt to sell the blues junior over Christmas and get some money together to look for a dsl head

Fixed.

kyyz47f.jpg

:LOL:

I'm still so gutted about missing out on that V4 head earlier this year :facepalm:

edit: I did actually recently bid on one of those discontinued Ampeg GVT15 heads which was going cheap on eBay, but got sniped right before it ended :facepalm:

Edited by D3adstar

:LOL:

I'm still so gutted about missing out on that V4 head earlier this year :facepalm:

edit: I did actually recently bid on one of those discontinued Ampeg GVT15 heads which was going cheap on eBay, but got sniped right before it ended :facepalm:

Don't worry, I only recently found out that J Ho used the V4B and not the V4. I should check if MattB used the V4 or V4B actually.

This upsets me greatly as there was one in the shop here and I didn't buy it because it was the bass version.

Don't worry, I only recently found out that J Ho used the V4B and not the V4. I should check if MattB used the V4 or V4B actually.

This upsets me greatly as there was one in the shop here and I didn't buy it because it was the bass version.

Its obvious his main sound is an Orange Micro Terror... In the shell of a V4B...

What Ampeg's do you have? VT-22?