He's been said to have used a gorilla solid state amp live, but I don't know if that's true or not

Still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isv2tHeyvv0

And just the VT40

Interesting to see in that recent rig EODM rig rundown that Jesse Huges said he used one of those Gorrilla solid state amp with vintage fuzz pedals for recording.

How reliable has the VT-40 been? I've heard that one of the downsides to the vintage Ampegs is that they need quite a bit of maintenance?

Interesting to see in that recent rig EODM rig rundown that Jesse Huges said he used one of those Gorrilla solid state amp with vintage fuzz pedals for recording.

How reliable has the VT-40 been? I've heard that one of the downsides to the vintage Ampegs is that they need quite a bit of maintenance?

Link? There are some pretty nice tones on Death By Sexy. I'm going to be disappointed if that's a gorilla amp

And funny you mention that :facepalm: ... I can't use mine at the moment because it's burning up the output tubes, so I need to send it back to have a modification done. Nothing's wrong with it technically (although it did blow up in the past), but it's just running too hot and needs to be adjusted.

Other than that, we'll see after I get to use it a bit more. If Josh Homme has been touring with them since 2000 or so, I think they're pretty reliable. I think he might be using them less and less though, as I recall there were some obscure amp heads and cabinets that appeared at some of the recent shows

Link? There are some pretty nice tones on Death By Sexy. I'm going to be disappointed if that's a gorilla amp

Prepare to be disappointed, from 30:57 in this video, really interesting concept...

And funny you mention that :facepalm: ... I can't use mine at the moment because it's burning up the output tubes, so I need to send it back to have a modification done. Nothing's wrong with it technically (although it did blow up in the past), but it's just running too hot and needs to be adjusted.

Other than that, we'll see after I get to use it a bit more. If Josh Homme has been touring with them since 2000 or so, I think they're pretty reliable. I think he might be using them less and less though, as I recall there were some obscure amp heads and cabinets that appeared at some of the recent shows

Are repairs quite costly, in terms of the vintage parts? Or is it more off the shelf replacements?

Got any pictures of the recent shows?

Cool thanks

I'll have to look. And nah they don't need wintaeg parts, except for the valves maybe, as the new ones don't seem to have the same power handling for some reason. They aren't really cheap, but other than those, we just used off the shelf replacement parts for everything else

Oh and also, they don't actually make some of them anymore. There is at least one type of valve in the old ampeg amps that haven't been made for a while, so you have to find them used or NOS (new old stock)

qLT7iJY.jpg

And nah they don't need wintaeg parts, except for the valves maybe, as the new ones don't seem to have the same power handling for some reason. They aren't really cheap, but other than those, we just used off the shelf replacement parts for everything else

Oh and also, they don't actually make some of them anymore. There is at least one type of valve in the old ampeg amps that haven't been made for a while, so you have to find them used or NOS (new old stock)

Doesn't seem too bad then, aside from the valves.

I'm pretty much focused on either a DSL50 or one of the old Ampegs, problem is that I haven't seen any of them for sale in the UK since that V4 I saw earlier this year...

Thats why I started looking at the GVT series (still a bastard to find for sale at a good price), which seemed to have some great reviews, but don't really know how they sound compared to the old Ampegs?

edit: Just as I say that I find one... :facepalm: Looks like I need to start getting some cash together :LOL:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ampeg-V4-Valve-Head-/201478803367?hash=item2ee9128fa7:g:KOoAAOSwp5JWYZt-

Edited by D3adstar

Doesn't seem too bad then, aside from the valves.

I'm pretty much focused on either a DSL50 or one of the old Ampegs, problem is that I haven't seen any of them for sale in the UK since that V4 I saw earlier this year...

Thats why I started looking at the GVT series (still a bastard to find for sale at a good price), which seemed to have some great reviews, but don't really know how they sound compared to the old Ampegs?

edit: Just as I say that I find one... :facepalm: Looks like I need to start getting some cash together :LOL:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ampeg-V4-Valve-Head-/201478803367?hash=item2ee9128fa7:g:KOoAAOSwp5JWYZt-

Is that one bid yours? :ninja:

You'll get more sounds out of the DSL without pedals, but try to get one that's newer than 2004 or so. The early ones (can't remember which years) had the main boards develop issues over time.

I don't know about the GVTs. They seemed interesting when I looked at the specs, but the sound didn't seem like anything special from the transparent youtube videos. I don't think those would be anything like the old ones to be honest - they seem to be suited for more modern tones.

I will say that the VT40 is great with practically any fuzz pedal you put through it, and the clean tones are pretty good to begin with. Probably closer to an old fender amp than anything else, but a pretty unique sound once you start messing with the mid control and rocker switch.

What I think Josh Homme did was set his ampegs so they were JUST distorting, and then ran his pedals through them for the distorted tones.

But yeah, here's the QOTSA starter pack (each component sold separately)

12313913_10153641637125944_2222737133622401463_n.jpg?oh=e8a404f553269cf50d7ff89ba5bd8e0a&oe=56688AFB

The ultimate octave with the white knobs sounds better. Trust me. :ninja:

actually, they do - there are different transistors in the older ones

Is that one bid yours? :ninja:

I wish it was :facepalm: Don't have the money right now, when I'm back home from Uni I'll be putting the blues junior for sale.

You'll get more sounds out of the DSL without pedals, but try to get one that's newer than 2004 or so. The early ones (can't remember which years) had the main boards develop issues over time.

I don't know about the GVTs. They seemed interesting when I looked at the specs, but the sound didn't seem like anything special from the transparent youtube videos. I don't think those would be anything like the old ones to be honest - they seem to be suited for more modern tones.

I will say that the VT40 is great with practically any fuzz pedal you put through it, and the clean tones are pretty good to begin with. Probably closer to an old fender amp than anything else, but a pretty unique sound once you start messing with the mid control and rocker switch.

I'm pretty split between the two, I know 40s and 22s seem impossible to find over here but the V4's turn up every now and again like that one on ebay. Whereas the DSL50s are pretty common. The only other thing is that V4's are apparently incredibly loud so that is definitely going to limit where I can actually turn it up :LOL: However I did recently find out that the Uni's got a band rehearsal space which me and my flatmates where thinking of checking out.

What I think Josh Homme did was set his ampegs so they were JUST distorting, and then ran his pedals through them for the distorted tones.

But yeah, here's the QOTSA starter pack (each component sold separately)

The ultimate octave with the white knobs sounds better. Trust me. :ninja:

actually, they do - there are different transistors in the older ones

Jealousy is extremely strong right now :LOL: Those Ovation's are going for crazy money! (especially yours with it's authentic desert rock mojo :ninja:)

I was thinking of getting one of those cheap Joyo Voodoo Octaves because there's apparently an easy mod (flipping a capacitor I think?) which apparently makes it a direct clone of the Fulltone?

Legit

While most people buy tickets to a Muse gig to see the band, I'm going to spend the entire time in that room instead.

It's funny because I wouldn't be surprised if I lost track of time in there :facepalm:

I wish it was :facepalm: Don't have the money right now, when I'm back home from Uni I'll be putting the blues junior for sale.

I'm pretty split between the two, I know 40s and 22s seem impossible to find over here but the V4's turn up every now and again like that one on ebay. Whereas the DSL50s are pretty common. The only other thing is that V4's are apparently incredibly loud so that is definitely going to limit where I can actually turn it up :LOL: However I did recently find out that the Uni's got a band rehearsal space which me and my flatmates where thinking of checking out.

Jealousy is extremely strong right now :LOL: Those Ovation's are going for crazy money! (especially yours with it's authentic desert rock mojo :ninja:)

I was thinking of getting one of those cheap Joyo Voodoo Octaves because there's apparently an easy mod (flipping a capacitor I think?) which apparently makes it a direct clone of the Fulltone?

For what it's worth, the VT40 is somewhere around 35 watts, and the VT22 is around 100 watts. The VT40 is probably a lot easier to manage than the VT22 or V4.

They are, though I got my other one for about $1000 less than what they usually go for. Still wasn't worth it - they really are the world's most expensive korean les paul copy™

There was a black one on eBay not long ago, but the seller pulled it, even though there were bids.

No idea about the joyo, but it is supposed to be pretty similar to the fulltone. I imagine it would be the more recent ones though - the first ultimate octaves used BC108 transistors, and the newer ones used some silicon ones. They sound completely different to me.

But yeah, up until I had a proper play on one of those GPs, I didn't think it had much to do with the guitar... it's actually a massive part of the sound.

I realize this is going through an axe FX, but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ZXA1IoXcI

For what it's worth, the VT40 is somewhere around 35 watts, and the VT22 is around 100 watts. The VT40 is probably a lot easier to manage than the VT22 or V4.

If I was to get a V4 I would definitely have to run an attenuator, I think the VT40 would be great if only I could find one :LOL: I've seen a few on Reverb.com but I'm not to keen on the idea of shipping a 70s amplifier :LOL: Plus fees would be ridiculous

They are, though I got my other one for about $1000 less than what they usually go for. Still wasn't worth it - they really are the world's most expensive korean les paul copy™

There was a black one on eBay not long ago, but the seller pulled it, even though there were bids.

Haha they do look great though! :awesome: Do you think part of the crazy prices are due to (aside from Homme) the limited numbers that were made?

No idea about the joyo, but it is supposed to be pretty similar to the fulltone. I imagine it would be the more recent ones though - the first ultimate octaves used BC108 transistors, and the newer ones used some silicon ones. They sound completely different to me.

But yeah, up until I had a proper play on one of those GPs, I didn't think it had much to do with the guitar... it's actually a massive part of the sound.

I'll keep my eye out for the real deal then, I missed out on a black ultimate octave a few months ago that went for £90 on Gumtree...

Do you think that the Dimarzio Super 2's (I think thats what they are) play a major part then? Could always put a set of those in one of those Eastwood copies?

I realize this is going through an axe FX, but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ZXA1IoXcI

That sounds insane!

Edited by D3adstar

If I was to get a V4 I would definitely have to run an attenuator, I think the VT40 would be great if only I could find one :LOL: I've seen a few on Reverb.com but I'm not to keen on the idea of shipping a 70s amplifier :LOL: Plus fees would be ridiculous

Haha they do look great though! :awesome: Do you think part of the crazy prices are due to (aside from Homme) the limited numbers that were made?

I'll keep my eye out for the real deal then, I missed out on a black ultimate octave a few months ago that went for £90 on Gumtree...

Do you think that the Dimarzio Super 2's (I think thats what they are) play a major part then? Could always put a set of those in one of those Eastwood copies?

That sounds insane!

Well I've just sent mine off a second time, so as long as it arrives back with me safely, then you have nothing to worry about... or something like that

I'm not using an attenuator actually. The speakers are hardwired to the amp for one thing. Just set it at a good volume and hit the front end with the magic pedals on some very specific settings

and nah, they were supposedly almost worthless before Homme started using them. BUT if there were more than 400 or whatever, they probably would be going for a lot cheaper.

And it's the combination of those (the 80's ones sound different for some reason as well, and there are some physical differences too) and the specs of the guitar itself in my opinion. The specs are similar to a les paul, but the body is noticeably thicker for one thing. the flamed maple top is supposed to be a veneer as well, rather than a proper maple cap. No idea what's under the finish on the black ones though

and supposedly the eastwoods aren't really like the originals at all. The shape sort of resembles the GP, but sort of not. I have no idea what it sounds like though.

Jesus christ that sounds gigantic.

I remember Sam wanking over his FUO pedals years back. Thought he was bullshitting!

It's all in the neck pickup on that guitar.

And yeah, but he wasn't even using it right. You need to boost it with a parametric filter on a specific setting for that sound

Here's a clip I did a while back using Josh's old GP into that pedal setup, but through a Fender amp (didn't have the VT40 back then)

Having said that, I think Sam got pretty close to the later tones... I don't think he ever figured out how he did though (I recall he said something about boosting the UO with that green rhino clone I sold him)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxk4QjjNYQ

Well I've just sent mine off a second time, so as long as it arrives back with me safely, then you have nothing to worry about... or something like that

I'm not using an attenuator actually. The speakers are hardwired to the amp for one thing. Just set it at a good volume and hit the front end with the magic pedals on some very specific settings

:LOL: I think I'll stick to looking locally, I've found some decent deals on some DSL50's fairly locally, around the £280-400 price range, does that sound about right? If I could I would just grab that V4 currently on Ebay, just bad timing... :facepalm:

and nah, they were supposedly almost worthless before Homme started using them. BUT if there were more than 400 or whatever, they probably would be going for a lot cheaper.

I read somewhere that the Ovation's were actually more expensive than some of the "real" Gibson Les pauls they were essentially copying? Probably didn't help with the sales :LOL:

And it's the combination of those (the 80's ones sound different for some reason as well, and there are some physical differences too) and the specs of the guitar itself in my opinion. The specs are similar to a les paul, but the body is noticeably thicker for one thing. the flamed maple top is supposed to be a veneer as well, rather than a proper maple cap. No idea what's under the finish on the black ones though

and supposedly the eastwoods aren't really like the originals at all. The shape sort of resembles the GP, but sort of not. I have no idea what it sounds like though.

Yeh I've read some mixed reviews of the Eastwood "GP", some say there great, whilst others don't rate them at all...

Here's a clip I did a while back using Josh's old GP into that pedal setup, but through a Fender amp (didn't have the VT40 back then)

Nailed the sound, just needs to be redone with the VT-40! :awesome:

:LOL: I think I'll stick to looking locally, I've found some decent deals on some DSL50's fairly locally, around the £280-400 price range, does that sound about right? If I could I would just grab that V4 currently on Ebay, just bad timing... :facepalm:

Yeah definitely. Any idea what years they're from? I think they made the original UK versions up until around 2009. So really any DSL from 2004 until 2009 or so would be a good one.

My orange crunch DSL 100 is a 1998, and it sounds brilliant, but the only reason I'd advise against getting an older one is because of the main board issue

I read somewhere that the Ovation's were actually more expensive than some of the "real" Gibson Les pauls they were essentially copying? Probably didn't help with the sales :LOL:

I think they actually looked the price up of a 1980's les paul a while back and compared them, and it would actually be in the price range of a mid range LP. They sold for $400 I believe, and I'm guessing a LP standard or custom would be a fair bit more.

They are called "LP killers" by some, but I think they're different enough. It's just one of those weird guitars really - everything came together incredibly well, but they didn't sell because of what was popular at the time, and just being a bit unusual in general.

Yeh I've read some mixed reviews of the Eastwood "GP", some say there great, whilst others don't rate them at all...

http://poppoppopno.blogspot.com/2015/06/why-i-hated-eastwood-gp.html

There's a rumor that Ovation (now that they're making guitars again) might be reissuing the GP, but it still seems unlikely at this point. They did tweet about it - basically just asking if they should bring it back, but that could mean anything.

Nailed the sound, just needs to be redone with the VT-40! :awesome:

It's scary close at this point. I'll get a sound clip up once the VT40 comes back.

I still sift through your instagram from time to time to find that, must be closest I've heard. Absolutely love it.

One day when its viable I'd love to sink some cash into nailing some of Jack White's tones. What can I say boys I just fucking love fuzz.

I still sift through your instagram from time to time to find that, must be closest I've heard. Absolutely love it.

One day when its viable I'd love to sink some cash into nailing some of Jack White's tones. What can I say boys I just fucking love fuzz.

Thing is, that wasn't even the pedal setup he was using at the time. Supposedly the only pedals used on SFTD were a foxx tone machine fuzz and a z vex super hard on.

I imagine it would be a bit easier to Jack White, since we know more than nothing about his setup.

Thing is, that wasn't even the pedal setup he was using at the time. Supposedly the only pedals used on SFTD were a foxx tone machine fuzz and a z vex super hard on.

I imagine it would be a bit easier to Jack White, since we know more than nothing about his setup.

Jeez, it's easy to be pernickety looking back to find a specific, iconic tone and forget that at the time he'll probably have just chucked any old rig together and messed about till he liked something! Can get a good retelling of a sound from almost anything.

This did occur to me, yes. However, while it is always nice knowing more than nothing, it's also quite fun knowing nothing. Adds a bit of mystery; a spice. Either way, at the other end I get my fuzz and that means I wont have to resort to opium.

Jeez, it's easy to be pernickety looking back to find a specific, iconic tone and forget that at the time he'll probably have just chucked any old rig together and messed about till he liked something! Can get a good retelling of a sound from almost anything.

This did occur to me, yes. However, while it is always nice knowing more than nothing, it's also quite fun knowing nothing. Adds a bit of mystery; a spice. Either way, at the other end I get my fuzz and that means I wont have to resort to opium.

Probably, though I recall he's said in an interview that he won't give up his recipe for #QOTSAtone because he's spent such a long time working on it.

But it does seem like the SFTD album tone was pretty straightforward. Setting up the mid control and rocker switch on the VT40 correctly with the right fuzz is pretty much half the tones on that album, but other ones just seem to be cranked amps on their own

His live tone is a bit of a mystery to me though. I recall the only actual distortion/overdrive pedal he has on his pedalboard is an old boss SD-1, but I think that was only really used as a solo boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSK6BN2eNjk

I don't know. If we don't get a definitive answer from @dominic_howard, I will probably have to resort to opium

Probably, though I recall he's said in an interview that he won't give up his recipe for #QOTSAtone because he's spent such a long time working on it.

But it does seem like the SFTD album tone was pretty straightforward. Setting up the mid control and rocker switch on the VT40 correctly with the right fuzz is pretty much half the tones on that album, but other ones just seem to be cranked amps on their own

His live tone is a bit of a mystery to me though. I recall the only actual distortion/overdrive pedal he has on his pedalboard is an old boss SD-1, but I think that was only really used as a solo boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSK6BN2eNjk

I don't know. If we don't get a definitive answer from @dominic_howard, I will probably have to resort to opium

I think I'd be reluctant too if everyone was digging around for my tone secrets, just to be a dick as much as anything.

It's the no BS nature of SFTD that makes it so hard hitting. He probably didn't want the tone of that album to sound very intricate or complex.

But absolutely, hearing them live was a lot different. To me it seamed a lot fuzzier with more high end, which may just be because of the venue (open air festival) but maybe he's found that deliberately.

God, all this speculation. Please someone just tweet Jesse Hughes so we know nothing again.

Or google for his live gear :D

Where's the hardship and torture in that? No no no this won't do at all. Who let this guy in?

Or google for his live gear :D

That covers some of it, but for the most part, they know nothing as much as we do.

I think I'd be reluctant too if everyone was digging around for my tone secrets, just to be a dick as much as anything.

It's the no BS nature of SFTD that makes it so hard hitting. He probably didn't want the tone of that album to sound very intricate or complex.

But absolutely, hearing them live was a lot different. To me it seamed a lot fuzzier with more high end, which may just be because of the venue (open air festival) but maybe he's found that deliberately.

God, all this speculation. Please someone just tweet Jesse Hughes so we know nothing again.

Where's the hardship and torture in that? No no no this won't do at all. Who let this guy in?

He's a mod - he let himself in.

And I don't know. If it were me, I wouldn't be too bothered. Probably because my sound really isn't anything I've spent several years working on, since I change my pedalboard around way too frequently :facepalm:

That's interesting. When I saw them, it was just like in the recordings, just a lot better obviously. I remember when they were checking Josh's setup at the beginning and it sounded fucking massive.

No we shouldn't do that! He'd just tell us the truth.... and I don't want to hear that, as we'll find out it is in fact a gorilla solid state amp.