The extra mass of the strings means they're more likely to be affected, though that's counteracted by the extra inertia, so erm, who knows.

Looking at what you've described, it doesn't make sense. If you fret it at the 12th fret, that note is sharper than the harmonic directly above the fret?

It sounds like you have gone up a gauge in strings, and if so you're intonation will be off. You need to adjust the bridge until the open note is the same note one octave down from the 12th fret. The bridge saddles need to move back away from the nut. Can you please post some pictures?

I'm not sure the magnet is strong enough?

Yes, the 12th harmonic is fine, the 12th fret is sharp. The bridge has been moved back as far as it will go, an it has made next to no difference. I also lowered the action to as low as it would go.

ucUzH6f.jpg

As you can see it is a bit of a pain adjusting the bridge as it is not as simple as tightening a screw. More like undo a hex bolt, loosen string, guess placement, tighten hex blot, tune, repeat.

My next thought would be to adjust the truss rod, but that is something I am less comfortable doing. Orobably really simple but I'd like to deal with other options first.

The gauge can't have changed dramatically. Standards are 45-100 ish. Mine are currently 50-105. Is that really a huge change?

Hmm, get a good tape or rule and measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret (A) then measure the distance from the 12th to the bridge (B), Both distances A and B should be exactly half the distance from the nut to the bridge. If it's not, then the bridge is in the wrong place and the bass will never intonate.

Don't mess with the truss rod, it's there to do one job only; to set neck relief. It's not there to set the action or intonation.

Only in so far as it affects the neck relief, which makes the string length fractionally longer or shorter depending on the amount of up or back bow.

You shouldn't us it for correcting anything except neck relief that's all its for. Action should be determined by neck angle, nut and bridge height.

Only in so far as it affects the neck relief, which makes the string length fractionally longer or shorter depending on the amount of up or back bow.

You shouldn't us it for correcting anything except neck relief that's all its for. Action should be determined by neck angle, nut and bridge height.

Jaicen

Any thoughts on those Fender bassbreaker amps? They're not even on the Fender website yet, but they seem pretty interesting.

Pretty sure that's what the weird amp to the left of his rack was in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkpl5p4BVEA

There are a few different models it seems, with different preamp voicings based on the old fender amps

Wow, that looks pretty cool. I wonder how close that actually is to the JTM45? Would love to rock up with a treble booster and a Les Paul and rock one out in the bass section.

EDIT: So it's actually a guitar amp, based on the Bassman, not intended to be a bass amp. Still cool, aimed squarely at taking on the mid-range Marshalls it seems.

Edited by Jaicen

A waste of 10 minutes of set time if you ask me

I don't know. I like it, but it's just that the riff ends like.. if you're reading one of Bs' posts and suddenly you're wondering why it ended after five paragraphs and he's no longer online...it just leaves you wanting more, but you know you won't be getting more as he's now offline and won't be adding more content to a rather anticlimactic post.

But yeah, there are other songs off that album that I'd prefer. Not going to complain if it is played though.

I don't know. I like it, but it's just that the riff ends like.. if you're reading one of Bs' posts and suddenly you're wondering why it ended after five paragraphs and he's no longer online...it just leaves you wanting more, but you know you won't be getting more as he's now offline and won't be adding more content to a rather anticlimactic post.

But yeah, there are other songs off that album that I'd prefer. Not going to complain if it is played though.

I think you've summed it up perfectly. The riff starts as your eyes drift left to check the identity of the poster, "Bs," you whisper. "Oh fuck."

It continues as it starts, bombarding towards some as yet undiscovered revelation of pure bliss. You venture onward wondering with gleeful optimism what could follow.

It's still going, what you see is good stuff, but stamina at this point becomes a very real issue. A break could be in order. You don't want to miss the inevitable peak but the question arises if you can fully appreciate it in your depleted state.

You can see the end of the passage. It's in sight. You stop yourself skipping ahead to indulge your excited suspicion. You want the build up to take its natural course. You know it will be worth it.

Then it happens. It ends. Wait, what the fuck? You go back, you read it again. Maybe I missed something. Maybe the song skipped. Surely that can't be it? It was still building, I'm sure of it.. Oh fuck it, I'm typing "magic bridge" into the search bar.

OOS begins to play.

I think you've summed it up perfectly. The riff starts as your eyes drift left to check the identity of the poster, "Bs," you whisper. "Oh fuck."

It continues as it starts, bombarding towards some as yet undiscovered revelation of pure bliss. You venture onward wondering with gleeful optimism what could follow.

It's still going, what you see is good stuff, but stamina at this point becomes a very real issue. A break could be in order. You don't want to miss the inevitable peak but the question arises if you can fully appreciate it in your depleted state.

You can see the end of the passage. It's in sight. You stop yourself skipping ahead to indulge your excited suspicion. You want the build up to take its natural course. You know it will be worth it.

Then it happens. It ends. Wait, what the fuck? You go back, you read it again. Maybe I missed something. Maybe the song skipped. Surely that can't be it? It was still building, I'm sure of it.. Oh fuck it, I'm typing "magic bridge" into the search bar.

OOS begins to play.

Holy shit :LOL:

It's true

Maybe my ears were tuned by foot, but does the descending jazz hands bass line in psycho have a different sort of fuzz tone each time it's played during the song?

This is beginning to bother me.

There's a lot of niggly things like that about Drones that are increasingly frustrating to me the more I listen to it. It's dissapointing as its stopping me from enjoying it's good bits.

I do know what you mean about the fuzz, though. Maybe Chris kept dropping his axe on his big muff and found that phrase so funny he didn't bother fixing the pots.

Edited by Macaroon

The difference in fuzz is way more obvious now I'm listening for it.

Anyone got suggestions of a good reverb pedal? Kind of want a big sky but there's not enough room on my board for one :facepalm: Although the kaoss pad could go since I rarely use it anymore. Does this make me less Mat Belami fanboi? :eek:

There's a lot of niggly things like that about Drones that are increasingly frustrating to me the more I listen to it. It's dissapointing as its stopping me from enjoying it's good bits.

I do know what you mean about the fuzz, though. Maybe Chris kept dropping his axe on his big muff and found that phrase so funny he didn't bother fixing the pots.

https://www.instagram.com/p/zDgFBPHXax/

I can't remember if we decided it was that or an MXR blowtorch

Anyone got suggestions of a good reverb pedal? Kind of want a big sky but there's not enough room on my board for one :facepalm: Although the kaoss pad could go since I rarely use it anymore. Does this make me less Mat Belami fanboi? :eek:

You don't really need the KP on your pedalboard. I had the blue sky at one point and I thought it was a good pedal, but I'm not familiar with the big sky.

I'm using a far less versatile one now, probably with inferior sound quality, but the hold effect is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V894j9nBbLQ

Neunaber do a really good reverb pedal, the Big Sky is amazing though