Muse Tour Comparisons: Which one was better?

Dominic.

While it does seem awesome how energetic and spontaneous the gigs were during that era I can only imagine a good portion of them were really sloppy performances. It seems like it took them a lot of experimenting to really get down all of the OoS songs too.

So?

Anyway my view on it:

1. Small gigs>big gigs

2. Showbiz songs>TR songs

Obviously I can't compare with something I didn't experience, but I can compare Showbiz Tour material with Resistance Tour material. Most of the Showbiz gigs I've watched have been amazing, mistakes and sloppy playing or not. Most of the TR gigs I've watched have made me fall asleep.

Each tour has its great moments. They've improved so much as musicians and you can really see that in their current shows, though that's not to say I wouldn't have loved to have gone to a Showbiz or OoS show, mistakes/off notes and all, that's not a big issue for me. In terms of setlists I really like what they were doing on the BHaR tour in terms of song selection, I'm gutted I only saw them once on that tour.

I am lucky enough to have seen Muse on every tour although unfortunately I was not in a position to go to multiple gigs back then.

The Showbiz gig was immense. I couldn't believe the way the band sounded on stage compared to on record. They were full of energy and seemed excitedly chaotic and I loved every second - so much so that I am still here today. That 'loose' style has gone now but of course it would do after years of playing. I love the fact that they still get things wrong and mess up though.

For me the Origin gig was (and still is) the best gig ever (out of all the gigs I have ever been to - not just Muse). It sealed my fate :LOL:

On the Resistance tour, they seemed to have lost their Joie de Vivre a bit but luckily this tour has it in spades :D

I wish my memories of those early gigs hadn't faded so much though *sigh*

The Resistance tour is a different one to the others because it was more of a theatrical event than a rock gig. Or at least it was in the band member's heads - hence the promo literature where Matt said he wanted aerial ballet dancers then decided that was too far. There were some elements of spontaneity but on the whole it was a lot more of a scripted event.

This tour has been different because it has the production but more spontaneous feeling, and the band look happier than they did for swathes of the last tour.

Showbiz vs TR tour however is a strange argument. The Showbiz tour was a band trying to prove themselves while TR tour was an almost exclusively arena/stadium production.

I think The Resistance tour did a great job since they were able to give 90% of fans the opportunity to see them live. They missed a few areas like India and Africa but overall it was a very extensive tour.

Would I have liked a little more setlist variation? Sure. Would I have liked the show to be a little less planned and more spontaneous? Sure but so far this tour has done a great job at that too. Just need to take it a little further and start bringing out some of the deep cuts off of previous albums.

Also Animals is a great fucking song. Please make it a staple next tour.

I think The Resistance tour did a great job since they were able to give 90% of fans the opportunity to see them live. They missed a few areas like India and Africa but overall it was a very extensive tour.

Would I have liked a little more setlist variation? Sure. Would I have liked the show to be a little less planned and more spontaneous? Sure but so far this tour has done a great job at that too. Just need to take it a little further and start bringing out some of the deep cuts off of previous albums.

Basically what made TR great was that they played a lot of gigs.

I doubt Animals will even be played next tour :( Look at MK Ultra, Assassin, CoD, TSP... they were all played loads on their respective tours and then never played again. Unless Matt grows some balls and decides to play more previous album tracks then I doubt we'll see many of them ever again :(

They had more variety in BH&R though didn't they?

I'd say so.

BHAR had rotating closers: Knights/TAB + Stockholm a few times and at least one gig where Showbiz closed. Showbiz.

BHAR also had two completely random full plays of the album, with other stuff for the encores.

BHAR had a nice balance between old and new as well. Showbiz, Muscle Museum, Sunburn, Bliss, Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts, Apocalypse Please, Fury, Ruled By Secrecy were all played on a semi-regular/regular basis.

I'd say so.

BHAR had rotating closers: Knights/TAB + Stockholm a few times and at least one gig where Showbiz closed. Showbiz.

BHAR also had two completely random full plays of the album, with other stuff for the encores.

BHAR had a nice balance between old and new as well. Showbiz, Muscle Museum, Sunburn, Bliss, Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts, Apocalypse Please, Fury, Ruled By Secrecy were all played on a semi-regular/regular basis.

Yeah setlist-wise BH&R was their best. Wasn't there a Tokyo gig which is still their longest arena set to date?

Also in which gig they closed with Showbiz?

Not sure really, I don't know the BH&R tour that well. But I was basically just repeating his point, not making one.

Well there were gigs in Africa, West Asia/East Europe, and a legitimate South America tour (instead of just U2 opening gigs).

I don't know about numbers exactly, but it seems like the band reached out to more obscure fans internationally than they did in TR.

I'd say so.

I was actually talking about the tour area variations, but I agree with this too. 2006 had some great shuffling. Only issue I had was that the set lengths fluctuated a bit too much. People get pissed with a few songs cut out now and it seemed to happen more often and more randomly there.

The longest Muse tour is Black Holes but also the seems to have the biggest range in quality - some shows have amazing quality and some are fairly meh in comparison. But it's as much the quality of recordings as anything - bootlegs of the Wembley 07 gig seem to have a less processed audio quality than HAARP did. Plus they have Sing for Absolution and Bliss :phu:

The best sounding tour from bootlegs is definitely Absolution though.

Archived