Supermassive Blackhole being influenced by Prince and Kayne West - http://www.musewiki.org/Discussion_in_London_(200605_Rock_Mag_article)

Time is Running Out sounds like Billie Jean by MJ - http://www.musewiki.org/Rip_It_Up_2007-12-03_%E2%80%93_Tales_of_the_Tracks

Uprising is a "heavy-rock take on Goldfrapp" - http://www.musewiki.org/Progressive_stadium_rock_three_dream_up_album_five_(2009-07_Mojo_article)

None of those three are "ridiculous influences which appear to bare no relation to the song/album in question"...

None of those three are "ridiculous influences which appear to bare no relation to the song/album in question"...

Okay maybe not to that extent. But the point I'm making is that if Matt had said before BH&R "there's a song influenced by Kayne West" then Supermassive Blackhole's sound wouldn't have come to mind, likewise with TiRO and Billie Jean. So we shouldn't place much emphasis on Matt being influenced by AC/DC and classic rock.

It's really a question of whether they have any ideas other than "let's go heavy". That's what killed The Hunting Party (along with the absence of dynamics and good riffs).

That was my thinking, hunting party was clearly let's make heavy album, then they started writing. I suspect and hope that with Muse they were throwing around a few ideas, riffs etc and sort of went these are all pretty heavy so let's see if we can make a heavy album work.

Even if that isn't the case Muse as musicians are far more talented than linkin park in my opinion so I would imagine they could still build a half decent album of just an idea. Unlike linkin park who clearly can't, although I'm still looking forward to seeing them Sunday :D

This is all just my opinion though so feel free to rip it to shreds!

Cheers for finding the sources guys.

I'm kind of still hopeful in thinking back to the pre-2nd Law interviews which were pulled, where they all reiterated that no matter what direction they try, everything must be loyal to what Muse are, that sound, and I'm guessing from that there is an element in the way they write and record which means that sound isn't lost?

Cheers for finding the sources guys.

I'm kind of still hopeful in thinking back to the pre-2nd Law interviews which were pulled, where they all reiterated that no matter what direction they try, everything must be loyal to what Muse are, that sound, and I'm guessing from that there is an element in the way they write and record which means that sound isn't lost?

considering they've compared the album to absolution and BH&R after recording it I think it's safe to say that it will still sound like Muse.

I find its not so much what they play but the way it is played that gives them their sound. I remember an interview where matt spoke about song composition and he described how they arrange songs and certain things they always do in songs like how the guitar and vocals interact. Someone who knows more than me about song composition could probably explain this better than me but basically there is a quantifiable reason why muse sound like muse :LOL:

All I want in this world is to see this kind of live energy again. TR was a snoozefest live, though I owe that partially to the three tower stage setup. T2L was an improvement. Hopefully this "raw" album will reinvigorate the boys to play like this again. Not record songs like this, but just have the same energy.

All I want in this world is to see this kind of live energy again. TR was a snoozefest live, though I owe that partially to the three tower stage setup. T2L was an improvement. Hopefully this "raw" album will reinvigorate the boys to play like this again. Not record songs like this, but just have the same energy.

They don't need to be "raw" just give me energy and angst. Make the lyrics more Take a Bow and Animals, more screaming "fuck you" political declarations or "holy shit the world is ending" or "holy fucking shit fuck you also the world is ending" than this us against them garbage or quietly vowing to destroy [vague unknown person]'s supremacy or writing 6-minute love songs about fictional characters in a popular book.

I'm not worried really because as good as that version of hyper music is, it's not as good as the version at Seoul played last year. More outros and running around is fine by me but fairly random screaming and guitar playing don't really add to the performance. I do agree the resistance tour needed more energy live but I think last tour they struck a good balance between being exciting and the performance quality live at several shows, I'm thinking Stockholm syndrome at ACL, yes please and agitated at Helsinki and hyper music at Seoul :D

I know it's not directly related to constructive criticism, but I've always felt that the way some of the board members reply to comments and suggestions is really off-putting to new membership. It just seems that sometimes opinions from new members can get shot down really easily which is a shame.

Back on topic, it's good to see the seven string out, I'd be interested to see how it could be used differently and imaginatively, as usually it's doubled up the standard a string patterns.

This, in all honesty, is why I never posted anything so far. And prior to registering I have been reading this Forum a long long time.

It really is surprising what some people here write and how some people are those hard 'know-it-all' Musers.

It really does make me not want to post anything here.

On topic:

Fuck yes. Im jumping the optimistic bandwagon fraction and I am super excited and happy for the next album to be released (maybe early.) :):):D

I would never deny that TR was a bit of a low period for the stage show, in a lot of ways.

Both because of the pillars, but also on part of the band members' perceived energy.

That said, it seems awkward to me to be using examples from 2000. That was a hell of a long time ago, and their all old men now compared to that.

Things change.

The T2L tour was a vast improvement, anyways.

This, in all honesty, is why I never posted anything so far. And prior to registering I have been reading this Forum a long long time.

It really is surprising what some people here write and how some people are those hard 'know-it-all' Musers.

It really does make me not want to post anything here.

On topic:

Fuck yes. Im jumping the optimistic bandwagon fraction and I am super excited and happy for the next album to be released (maybe early.) :):):D

Well welcome to the forum :) most people here are alright really, just don't take anything too seriously and criticise yourself at the end of each post as this makes it more difficult for everyone else to criticise you :LOL:

Actually, I've noticed Witz puts himself down at the end of a lot of his posts.

If you're ignoring trolling comments, that shouldn't be necessary. Just don't let it get to you, and don't keep arguing if you find out you really are wrong.

Unless you enjoy that sort of thing.

You get it! I have noticed that if I actually criticise myself at the end of my posts everyone's responses are generally more positive or at least more understanding :LOL:

It's sounds ridiculous I know but it works! I hope you all won't change your response after this new found knowledge :)

You get it! I have noticed that if I actually criticise myself at the end of my posts everyone's responses are generally more positive or at least more understanding :LOL:

It's sounds ridiculous I know but it works! I hope you all won't change your response after this new found knowledge :)

I may try this technique :D

They don't need to be "raw" just give me energy and angst. Make the lyrics more Take a Bow and Animals, more screaming "fuck you" political declarations or "holy shit the world is ending" or "holy fucking shit fuck you also the world is ending" than this us against them garbage or quietly vowing to destroy [vague unknown person]'s supremacy or writing 6-minute love songs about fictional characters in a popular book.

I'm completely in love with this post

Archived