I am being too serious about this, or doesn't it just mean how songs change into different songs, probably during the recording process?

It is very much a real word...

Speciation is the evolutionary process by which new biological species arise. The biologist Orator F. Cook was the first to coin the term 'speciation' for the splitting of lineages or "cladogenesis," as opposed to "anagenesis" or "phyletic evolution" occurring within lineages. Whether genetic drift is a minor or major contributor to speciation is the subject matter of much ongoing discussion.

So basically it refers to splitting off from your heritage line to create a new genre species of being.

Discuss.

I still imagine the conversation was along the lines of "wow, that song sounds nothing like it did when we started."

And Matt likes big words.

This would be more in line with the above mentioned "phyletic evolution" as opposed to speciation. Gradual changes within the same framework vs. creating an entirely new framework, respectively.

So obviously album seven is an entirely new direction for the band. I'm thinking acoustic dubstep, orchestral reggae and a touch of arpeggiated drone.

Archived